If you had to choose a Tele or a Strat..

I've got a bunch of teles. But I have been putting a whole lot of hours on my Charvel SuperStrat lately. If I had a gig that required just one guitar... the Charvel wins.

My American Deluxe V-Neck strat isn't going anywhere. I've had it for over 15 years, it's my baby. But since delving into the Tele world, it seems that I'm constantly reaching for one of them over the strat. Teles just seem to have something special going on.

If you can find one, take a look at the Fender Triple Telecaster. I bought one with the idea of turning it into a Baja Tele but after playing it realized what an incredibly genius concept it is. I am quite surprised that the idea of 3 Tele bridge pickups in a Strat configuration never really seemed to gain traction. Incredible tones from this guitar, it's definitely a keeper.

I'd go with the better sounding one.
You have Fractal, so you have all the tools you need to make one guitar sound like another. So don't really go for "versatility", you have this covered.
Go with the sound and look you love - guitar should be fun at least, cause if you do it for life and do a lot of session work, you'll need both guitars and more.
Just close your eyes, play both and select the one with touches you the most as a listener.

For me, the tones I love more are associated with the strat. I also love the ergonomics and look, so it is not a tough choice for me.

I don’t think they’re tonally all that similar.

original.jpg
I cheated…. Robin Ranger, but I think Fender makes one too (HST, maybe?). Mine looks like the above. Tele bridge, Strat middle, PAF neck. It’s not everybody’s everything, but it covers a lot of bases.

Given strictly your choices, I’d reluctantly say Strat. But I wouldn’t cry if left only with a Tele.
I'll jump on this wagon.11BA3D51-D308-4C0B-9C93-067678D91E2D_1_201_a.jpeg

What would be a good bridge pickup to throw in my Strat to get me close to a Tele bridge sound? recommendations?

What would be a good bridge pickup to throw in my Strat to get me close to a Tele bridge sound? recommendations?
Curious about the replies as iirc the actual bridge differences are a large part of it? Both “alder 25.5 maple neck single coil guitars” otherwise.

Im sure some boutique winders have standard models.

Curious about the replies as iirc the actual bridge differences are a large part of it? Both “alder 25.5 maple neck single coil guitars” otherwise.

Im sure some boutique winders have standard models.
true the bridge is a key part there

For a long time in the latter half of the '00s an the beginning of the '10s, mt Strat had a Tele bridge pickup at the proper position and angle, courtesy of a custom cut pickguard and a little gentle massage of the body rout. Great combination! Leo should have built the original that way....
Ala Sonny Landreth! I've always wanted to put a Tele bridge and pickup in a Strat. Besides the pickup and the plate surrounding the pickup, the angle and distance from the saddles are different and also contribute a lot to that sound. Fender Paranormal crossbreeds come close but they never quite nail it.

Ala Sonny Landreth! I've always wanted to put a Tele bridge and pickup in a Strat. Besides the pickup and the plate surrounding the pickup, the angle and distance from the saddles are different and also contribute a lot to that sound. Fender Paranormal crossbreeds come close but they never quite nail it.
Screenshot_20240314_140132_Chrome.jpg

Looks like the guy who cut the pickup slot in that pickguard for my Strat nailed the position and angle.

The skinny e pole is in the same position as a Strat, but the angle is steeper, so the fat E pole is 1/4" further (based on measurements I did years back). The difference in the distance is small on its own, but it is near the end of the string, so small differences are amplified, and the harmonic structure of each string other than the skinny e is different, on top of the more robust pickup winding and the baseplate's effects on the magnetic field....

It's a great sound....

Trying to think of an answer to this question is giving me anxiety. There is no way to make this decision. I think you're just trying to get us all fired up! lol

The way I'd look at this question (if someone had a gun to my head) - which guitar do you have a personal connection to. When you walk in the room to just practice, which one do you pick up first. That's the one to keep.

(People say the same thing about picking a motorcycle - when you walk in the dealership, which bike do you always look at first....that's the one to get)

Tele. Better bridge pickup. Equally useful neck. Who cares about the middle (as the kids say, don’t at me). Stays in tune better too.

Back
Top Bottom