My JCM800 Just Blew Up

I heard a "phhhhhhhhtttt, snap". Looked over and smoke was coming out of it. B+1 capacitor popped.
Just fixed one. It’s not a big worry. Just a few thing could have caused it, and you probably didn’t lose the transformers. But if you did, you can still get replacements. Which model of 800?

I hope it didn't leak on the board and you have a good tech near by to service it quickly.
Was it your Canadian 2203?

"Axe-Fx III Discussion"... :)

A failure like that is rare. They can last forever, and very repairable. True for most amps built before 1981, and anything still built point-to-point. Even the rare catastrophic stuff.

Here’s a mid 1960’s Ampeg that was pulled out of a house fire. It belonged to one of our bass players.
In this photo, I had just pulled the chassis and cleaned the faceplate, to see how it looked.
1710041783664.jpeg

After a couple of weeks, it looked almost completely new, and sounded fantastic. Amps are the ancestors of our Fractal Audio stuff!
1710042371042.jpeg

Did you just strike a power cord instead of a power chord...?? :sweatsmile:

Please try to remember if it sounded better right before that -- it could lead to a new epiphany! ;)

It knows you've stripped away it's secrets and bared it's soul to it's arch-enemy, the evil "DSP Chip", so, as a last act of defiance, it screamed "model this....I dare you......muhhhaahhahh!!!!....coff...coff....wheeze"....bam. 💥

Last edited:
It's a shame about the JCM 800, but could it be that the JCM800 in the Fractal now sounds worse than if the JCM800's capacitor had been new or not shortly before it died? Do you need to remodel it after repair?

Back
Top Bottom