Dad Jokes

There's an issue with the phrase "only a theory," here...
BUT,
this is the Dad Jokes thread,
and to comment on that "issue" would require me to take this as a serious, or at least semi-serious, post.

But is it? Past experience with reading your posts, @bleujazz3, has led me to think that my ability to understand the humor of your posts is...imperfect. (Not a criticism! ...just confessing a disconnect on my end.)

Therefore, I am refraining from getting nit-picky about the distinction between "theory" and "hypothesis" until/unless you let me know whether there's something tongue-in-cheek (obscurely, to me) about this post.

Best to ya,
Dr. D
@Dr. Dipwad,

TBH, during the course of the past 11K posts about Dad jokes, there are some really interesting and thought-evoking jokes that requires both a serious and humorous view of life.

Perhaps that is my recent view of life as well. Everyone knows that each of us is connected to one another in some small way, and for closer friends, we build strong emotional attachments.

In reality, I've never expected my jokes to be perfect, and I'm sure my ego would be too insufferable if they were.

In all honesty, what I learned about "theory" was not intended to be taken too seriously. Rather, it was merely a commentary about the irony of scientific discovery, and that the scientific method is required to prove or disprove a theory.

This is something I would have loved to have spoken with my Dad about at the dinner table. Sadly, my Dad's life was cut short at age 61, for several health reasons.

Perhaps I was reaching out to evoke both serious and humorous responses. It may be that rather than discourage talk about what people hold dear to them, my less than tongue-in-cheek humor fell short of its goal. And perhaps it's best to not pursue trivial matters when we know that ruffling the feathers of scientists is comparable to attacking science. At least in theory, pardon the pun. I wouldn't want to be considered the enemy "hun" army storming the castle.

@Dr. Dipwad,
In all honesty, what I learned about "theory" was not intended to be taken too seriously. Rather, it was merely a commentary about the irony of scientific discovery, and that the scientific method is required to prove or disprove a theory.

This is something I would have loved to have spoken with my Dad about at the dinner table. Sadly, my Dad's life was cut short at age 61, for several health reasons.

Perhaps I was reaching out to evoke both serious and humorous responses. It may be that rather than discourage talk about what people hold dear to them, my less than tongue-in-cheek humor fell short of its goal. And perhaps it's best to not pursue trivial matters when we know that ruffling the feathers of scientists is comparable to attacking science. At least in theory, pardon the pun. I wouldn't want to be considered the enemy "hun" army storming the castle.

Gotcha, makes sense. (And, I relate to what you say about wanting to talk with one's Dad at the dinner table, and being unable.)

In the area of serious response -- and not at all meant in a cantankerous way, but more like a, "careful, there's a pothole in the road there, you might wish to step around it" -- I would point out the difficulty of using the phrase "only a theory" or "a mere theory" in scientific circles.

As you noted, one cannot run a practical experiment replicating the formation of the universe. Likewise, one cannot create an experiment wherein one tries to evolve life on earth and see how it goes. And, supposing one has proposed marriage to a woman, and she accepts, one would not be wise to take it back, and then try to re-run the experiment to see if the result can be replicated! (One's results, the second time out, are certain to vary significantly from the first time.)

So what do we do, when the "scientific method" (strictly speaking) is not available to us, but the question seems nevertheless to fall within the domain of "natural philosophy" (dealing with the created order, involving phenomena which are quantifiable and have spatial position and duration)?

Well, we propose secondary hypotheses. If you can't run a full-scale experiment -- i.e. if you can't rebuild the universe from scratch -- you can still propose a "big" hypothesis of how everything got here, and then propose multiple "small" hypotheses which should logically follow if the first "big" hypothesis is true. (Example: If the "Big Bang," then we should expect radio telescopes to detect background radiation.)

Now, these secondary hypotheses are useful because they are falsifiable given experimental data which you may have already collected, or might collect in the future. If you find that they are never falsified, then that starts to count as experimental data not falsifying the original "big" hypothesis.

And that's where the word "theory" comes in.

In philosophy of science parlance, not every "hypothesis" counts as a "theory," because the word "theory" is given a special cachet.

To be a "theory," a hypothesis has to...
  • have spawned multiple secondary hypotheses in multiple domains
  • have those secondary hypotheses not be falsified
  • have those secondary hypotheses generate new tertiary hypotheses
  • have those tertiary hypotheses not be falsified
  • have new domains of experiment and technology open up from this collected body of hypotheses, which would not have opened up had the original "big" hypothesis not been proposed
  • have the whole thing stick around long enough to be a sort of common-culture pillar of the relevant sciences

That's when we start calling it a "theory."

A good example is genetics, courtesy of our old pea-planting friend Gregor Mendel, and enhanced by Crick & Watson.

It isn't just that we hypothesize that chromosomes formed from strands of DNA carry traits which are expressed in the organism. It's that we've seen that never falsified, and proposed explanations of inherited diseases, which were also not falsified, and this opened up new realms of treatment for those diseases and experiments in gene-splicing, producing new technologies and new experiments that actually worked, and it's been around long enough that if there was some huge gaping hole in it, it would have been called out by now by some new generation of young-and-upcoming geneticists.

So it's not "the Genetic Hypothesis"; it's "the Genetic Theory." One could say the same for the Quantum Theory with certain qualifiers.

Anyway, this is a lot of words to have spent on distinguishing between hypothesis and Theory, and explaining why hypothesis could be reasonably qualified with turns-of-phrase like mere and only a, but "Theory" probably shouldn't. Prepending "Theory" with "only a" makes sense in colloquial usage ("I think that squeaky sound in my car may be a fan belt wearing out; but that's only a theory") but doesn't fit well with the scientific usage. (A scientist might work for decades, and still only hope he might, one day, be credited with a new theory.)

That's it! Sorry to be a noodge ...and in the middle of a "Dad Jokes" thread, too!

All the best,
Dr. D

Gotcha, makes sense. (And, I relate to what you say about wanting to talk with one's Dad at the dinner table, and being unable.)

In the area of serious response -- and not at all meant in a cantankerous way, but more like a, "careful, there's a pothole in the road there, you might wish to step around it" -- I would point out the difficulty of using the phrase "only a theory" or "a mere theory" in scientific circles.

As you noted, one cannot run a practical experiment replicating the formation of the universe. Likewise, one cannot create an experiment wherein one tries to evolve life on earth and see how it goes. And, supposing one has proposed marriage to a woman, and she accepts, one would not be wise to take it back, and then try to re-run the experiment to see if the result can be replicated! (One's results, the second time out, are certain to vary significantly from the first time.)

So what do we do, when the "scientific method" (strictly speaking) is not available to us, but the question seems nevertheless to fall within the domain of "natural philosophy" (dealing with the created order, involving phenomena which are quantifiable and have spatial position and duration)?

Well, we propose secondary hypotheses. If you can't run a full-scale experiment -- i.e. if you can't rebuild the universe from scratch -- you can still propose a "big" hypothesis of how everything got here, and then propose multiple "small" hypotheses which should logically follow if the first "big" hypothesis is true. (Example: If the "Big Bang," then we should expect radio telescopes to detect background radiation.)

Now, these secondary hypotheses are useful because they are falsifiable given experimental data which you may have already collected, or might collect in the future. If you find that they are never falsified, then that starts to count as experimental data not falsifying the original "big" hypothesis.

And that's where the word "theory" comes in.

In philosophy of science parlance, not every "hypothesis" counts as a "theory," because the word "theory" is given a special cachet.

To be a "theory," a hypothesis has to...
  • have spawned multiple secondary hypotheses in multiple domains
  • have those secondary hypotheses not be falsified
  • have those secondary hypotheses generate new tertiary hypotheses
  • have those tertiary hypotheses not be falsified
  • have new domains of experiment and technology open up from this collected body of hypotheses, which would not have opened up had the original "big" hypothesis not been proposed
  • have the whole thing stick around long enough to be a sort of common-culture pillar of the relevant sciences

That's when we start calling it a "theory."...

All the best,
Dr. D
Dr. D,

Thanks for your response. Regards the pothole, I'd likely ask myself how well my shock absorbers work instead of looking at every car commercial as speeding down dirt roads. (Can't highlight how important this is)

I understand the caution required when describing "theory" in scientific circles; I just thought it interesting that as advanced mankind's science and technology has progressed to, we still struggle with concepts that involve both ours and the universe's origin.

I also understand the if-then logic required for hypotheses.

I also respect an authoritarian view. You know your stuff; my formal college education reflects little beyond my bachelor of liberal arts and sciences degree. And perhaps that's best where we leave well enough alone.

My goal was not to win any discussion or debate, or to compete with scientists by deriding them. I just thought it interesting that the word "theory" denotes a certain class of irreproducible presumptions that are supported by experimental facts, even though the experiments somewhat indicate that the larger "theory" has creedence, rather than being proven by means of if-then logic itself.

A mathematician comes home at 3 a.m. after a guys' night out.
His wife meets him at the door chewing him out. "You told me you'd be back by 11:45!", she yells.
"No.", he calmly replies. "I told you I'd be back by a quarter of 12."

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start.

So far today, I have finished two bags of chips and a chocolate cake.

I feel better already.

A doctor and an archeologist start flirting.

After a while of, the doctor asks: “What do you do for a living?”

“I’m an archeologist,” she answers.

The doctor responds: “Then I guess this isn’t going to work out, you will constantly be dating other people.”

So I tried studying a little this evening, highlighter rubber stylus, iPad, etc. Most everything was working fine until the TV began babbling about shaving gel. Fascinated, I watched as a guy with an unruly beard growth made short work of his stubble and voila, exited clean shaven, with scantily clad female partner stroking his chin.

And here I sit, several weeks worth of beard growth, maintained well, trimmed occasionally, cleaned often. It is still winter, so the beard will abide until the early weeks of spring. What was my goal? To look clean-shaven, or merely ask for some scantily clad female to approve of my shaven chin?

Who knows. The clean shaven guy will likely be knocking boots with his gal pal, and me, not desperate but thankful for a good shave brush, is spending his evening finishing up his studies and heading to bed soon.

So I tried studying a little this evening, highlighter rubber stylus, iPad, etc. Most everything was working fine until the TV began babbling about shaving gel. Fascinated, I watched as a guy with an unruly beard growth made short work of his stubble and voila, exited clean shaven, with scantily clad female partner stroking his chin.

And here I sit, several weeks worth of beard growth, maintained well, trimmed occasionally, cleaned often. It is still winter, so the beard will abide until the early weeks of spring. What was my goal? To look clean-shaven, or merely ask for some scantily clad female to approve of my shaven chin?

Who knows. The clean shaven guy will likely be knocking boots with his gal pal, and me, not desperate but thankful for a good shave brush, is spending his evening finishing up his studies and heading to bed soon.
Sex sells, always has. But yeah, I've never had such a shaving experience either. It usually involves me questioning whether I really need to or not.

Sex sells, always has. But yeah, I've never had such a shaving experience either. It usually involves me questioning whether I really need to or not.
My guess is that towards the end of the week, people go a little nuts rooting for their favorite team, protesting whatever call or decision, complaining about some perceived injustice.

It really might be nice if there weren't so much mob mentality that causes so much division and strife. I just feel so tired trying to avoid watching TV and being suckered in each week by some enticing news tidbit, only to realize news reporters merely gather information from whatever source they can, in search of the next big story.

As much as I try to find humor in all of this foolish nonsense, that's exactly what it is. If it were wise nonsense, there might be some practical application, but no, it's foolish nonsense. Why? There's no point to any of it. You might think that a person who still has hope for the future would try to understand. But that's the problem. One searches for wisdom and understanding, but the broadcast media has neither.

I can't justify contributing to society if what we do is work for peanuts to begin with. Provide wisdom and understanding, not a reason to sit with a cup of coffee and a smoke while we mindlessly try to follow a plot line.

If you need me, I'll be studying more important matters that provides me with a reason to be hopeful. Not trying to wait for some smart person to reveal the solutions to society's problems. Meanwhile, I'm thankful for FM9 v. 6.0 Beta 1. Although my OS was updated as were my presets, I can't help but think all of this is something we enjoy only for a brief time, and then it'll be a thing of the past.

We all live very privileged lives, but most of us have not learned from the mistakes of the past in order to prevent the problems of the future. Try as we might, we all struggle with this fact, for none of us escapes from this life alive. Perhaps some day, we'll realize that if we wish to survive years into the future, we need to learn how we can.

Sorry for the deep rant, I'm just feeling disappointed that I've trusted some folks long enough, but instead, have been repaid with misinformation and foolish nonsense. There's a time a guy's gotta cut his loses and move on. This might be the time.

Back
Top Bottom