The Edge/U2 and UAFX pedals

As someone who uses only 2 amp types (out of approx. 150) for live-shows (Vox AC-30 and Fender Tweed Deluxe) I am asking the simple question, if the UAFX Vox and Fender emulations are „better sounding“ than the Fractals. Maybe a dedicated pedal, that emulates only 1 amp, is able to do this in a better way than a unit that emulates 150. For me in the end what sounds best wins, but I guess I‘ll have to try the pedals and find out myself…:)

The sound/quality of the models is dependent on the processor and the programmer. The number of models has no bearing on that, as they are all stored in memory.

But here is my conclusion on chasing the sound that is in my head - the live sound of his original anthem #1 ac30 . Edge has moved from his original #1 vox to current hw ac30s to now pedals. So clearly I’m being pickier than the man himself. Conclusion: I’m an idiot. I need to quit tinkering and spend the time playing or practicing.

Edges HW AC-30s from the last tours were modded (Mid Boost knob, Weight switch, see pic attached) but how exactly is a well kept secret…
Please help me...what the heck is a "weight" switch ? (I guess it doesnt make the amp 20lbs less heavy...)

Please help me...what the heck is a "weight" switch ? (I guess it doesnt make the amp 20lbs less heavy...)
I only know what I’ve read on here. Evidently his #1 amp had it turned on (more) and his number 2 amp had it off (less). 1 sounded like it had more upper lows and lower mids and 2 sounded a bit thinner.

obviously there isn’t a pro-recorded audio of the Sphere show yet… but the audio system is supposed to be clear and just comparing these 2 clips, I definitely hear a different AC30 sound from the amp. The ruby might have more chime but the top end seems overly present and not what I would want. Tbh, it reminds me of my old Chinese AC30 when I hear it. The actual amp sounds well balanced and warmer. Keep in mind this song is pretty much guitar into 2290/SDD to amp.

Then there’s the original Vox which I do think sounds pretty close to the HW amp. (I chose this clip for the same tuning and its more recent than earlier shows)

Last edited:
Just a side note but I was very thankful for the Axe FX to allow me to do a deep dive in to the Edge’s tones. When I left for the Army back in 1982. I plugged my guitar into a Twin Reverb, dimed the Twin and used my guitar’s volume / tone knobs for effect. My most exotic pedal that I owned back then was a wah. It was good enough for our high school band to win a bunch of talent shows.

When I got out of the Army, the guitar world had changed. Every guitar player had a rack full of effects. I was broke at the time and felt completely disconnected to what was happening. I couldn’t afford to be part of the club. But man I loved those early U2 albums.

I bought my first Axe FX in 2010‘ish and spent a few years dialing in about 40 different Edge tones among other things. Again, so thankful to have access to effects and sounds I could never have figured out without the AXE FX. Then came a U2 tribute that eventually turned out pretty good - better than I hoped. Then, one night in 2015’ish at a local watering hole , I met Dallas Schoo. He’s a local. We got to chatting - normal guitar geek stuff. He had heard of my band from a fundraiser at O’Dells Brewing we did for a young cancer victim who loved U2. A few weeks after our fundraiser show, U2 sent a limo for the young woman to go to one of their shows.

Anyway, the AXE FXII has a killer AC30 tone. I was partial to firmware 10.0‘s version.
And Dallas, if you’re reading this, one of Pat’s girlfriends has been asking to meet you. She’s a doll. 😍 You can PM me here. 😎

Last edited:
I compared the pedals to our amp models. I found the pedals didn't sound as good, have excessive aliasing and a pronounced high-end rolloff on the input. Obviously I'm biased so you should form your own opinions.
I listened to every demo I could find of the Ruby pedal and none of them sounded anywhere near as good as the Vox AC30 preset I set up in the Axe FXIII.

I compared the pedals to our amp models. I found the pedals didn't sound as good, have excessive aliasing and a pronounced high-end rolloff on the input. Obviously I'm biased so you should form your own opinions.
I'm stunned that: 1) he's not using real amps, and 2) he's using UA instead of the III. I'll report back on his live sound in December!

I'm stunned that: 1) he's not using real amps, and 2) he's using UA instead of the III. I'll report back on his live sound in December!
Just profit from the concert above all, it's a chance to assist, congratulations !!! WTH he's using as equipment doesn't matter... U2 has great live shows whatever the gear they used, use and will use.

The Axe-Fx has an amazing Vox model for U2. The best part is you can adjust so many parameters to dial in any adjustments you need. About 12 years ago I wasn't happy with the Axe model in the old unit and used the Liverpool pedal which is fantastic (warm and you can dial in great AC-30 tone). But over time the Axe improved and it's now as good or better than any real amp as far as my ears are concerned. I'm a beginner/intermediate guitarist compared to most on this forum, but I have a good ear and patience, so I can dial in any tone on the Axe. It takes time but between all the amp models and cabs, I can create any tone without tone matching. There is just no need for anything but the Axe. The general audience is definitely not going to hear the difference if there is one at all. The headache of pedals and cables is just not worth it. Thank you Cliff! I can enjoy all my fav tunes because of what he created.

I attended a few shows and will go again next year. My personal feeling is Edge (and the rest of the band) sounded great. However, I could tell Edges core tone was different and not because of the crystal clear audio system. His signature AC30 sound was missing and sounded a bit ordinary to be honest. If anything, I felt the bass was lacking and the signature amp characteristic you would hear on a song like “Streets” was missing. (The above video clip is pretty accurate to how it sounds in person).

He probably compared AXE II to the UA stuff during rehearsals instead of AXE III which is a shame because the newer fractal units absolutely decimate the UA stuff. I wouldn’t bother trying to integrate these pedals into a fractal rig. Hopefully the fractal team helps him with axe 3 (or 4 if it’s out) for the next tour.

The Axe-Fx has an amazing Vox model for U2. The best part is you can adjust so many parameters to dial in any adjustments you need. About 12 years ago I wasn't happy with the Axe model in the old unit and used the Liverpool pedal which is fantastic (warm and you can dial in great AC-30 tone). But over time the Axe improved and it's now as good or better than any real amp as far as my ears are concerned. I'm a beginner/intermediate guitarist compared to most on this forum, but I have a good ear and patience, so I can dial in any tone on the Axe. It takes time but between all the amp models and cabs, I can create any tone without tone matching. There is just no need for anything but the Axe. The general audience is definitely not going to hear the difference if there is one at all. The headache of pedals and cables is just not worth it. Thank you Cliff! I can enjoy all my fav tunes because of what he created.
I date back to Phaser’s original U2Sound yahoo group from 20 years ago and then Mick’s U2Recording group (it’s how I found out about Fractal maybe 12-15 years ago) and I’ve really enjoyed your tutorials - and I will say you have a good ear.

I date back to Phaser’s original U2Sound yahoo group from 20 years ago and then Mick’s U2Recording group (it’s how I found out about Fractal maybe 12-15 years ago) and I’ve really enjoyed your tutorials - and I will say you have a good ear.
So kind of you thank you! Yes, I found Mick and others on the same group. They are my mentors. The only time I've been ahead of Edge was with regards to Fractal. I can say I started using it before he did and said he should simplify his rig. ;-)

I'll update my Streets preset over next few days or latest firmware release (it's been a while since I played the song) and then I'll post a clip. I like the tone in the Slane version but over last few years I've been using the Paris clip as a reference. I can get very close to that version.

Here is my old cover (12 yrs ago!) of Streets using the Axe and SansAmp Liverpool pedal. I thought the pedal had a wonderful warm tone to it and the "chime" came through. Forgive the mix (guitar too loud relative to backtrack). I later used this tone to help build my model in the Axe-Fx.

Does he not like the Axe’s AC30 models? I know there’s some high end scratchiness that Cliff mentioned about the AC30 HW model in the Fractal, so maybe They could borrow Edges to model? How cool would that be!?
Edge's AC30 is modded cuz he had it repaired a couple times over the years and the tech used whatever parts were on hand, so if he's not using the Fractal AC30 I'd guess it's cuz he's used to his modded top boost Vox. Would be a great idea for @FractalAudio to make a model that replicates Edge's AC30 specifically

Back
Top Bottom