AITR

Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

2. The CPU usage is not too bad. A FullRes IR uses about 10% more CPU than a regular IR. I haven't done that much work on optimization so it may be possible to reduce this.

3. The primary use is for "room mics" and short-to-medium convolution reverbs. The two clips I posted were done using room mic IRs from Celestion. Those IRs were 500 ms.

4. I'm hoping IR vendors will embrace the technology and start offering room mic IRs with at least one second of response time. This assumes they use a suitable live room to do their captures.

5. We are going to our local studio in the coming months and will shoot a bunch of room IRs there. They have a very nice live room with good acoustics.

6. A new version of Cab-Lab is in the works that supports the creation of FullRes IRs.

As MK1 owner I'd be happy with a smaller IR library to give these new IR's a try

Excuse my ignorance. What is the Ax-Fx III Mark II and the MKI? How do I know which Ax III is the one I have?
Thanks!

I vote to have the ability to remove the stock cabs better than remove user ones slots .
Didn’t expect to see the first limitation coming just one year after owning a Mk1 but … that’s life 😅. It’s not like I can’t have new amps in the future hm?

Last edited:
Interesting predicament. I have hundreds of User IRs loaded on Mark I but I don't actually use any of them. On the flip side, there are guys who can NEVER have enough user IR space. I predict a feisty debate ahead.
Hopefully some IR maintenance tools to help find and remove unused User IRs, and 'defrag' the User IR storage area and update the presets with the new User IR numbers will be added in AxeEdit to help clear room.

If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

I would favor this! I dont't need all the IR slots and would be happy to trade some, even if it's only to try out FullRes and find I don't have a use for it.

For recording could this be used for spatial staging, i.e. positioning a track in the room more realistically than just panning? (I use some plug-ins for that kind of thing now; cool if it could be done 'at the source' instead.) So maybe a family of IRs depending on where you want the source to eminate from, across the stereo (and depth) field?

Reactions: yek
A lot of us already offer 500 ms files.
Is it about the length of a regular IR or is it about placing actıal room mics and shooting IRs. If it’s actual room mic IRs than i am pretty sure most did not bother with room mics as they were shooting/building their IR packs.

edit: Cliff wrote actually, primary use is for room MICs!

Back
Top Bottom