RJM Mastermind GT/22 Compatibility?

dbarrow

I have an RJM Mastermind GT 22 that I use with my Axe-FX II XL+. Will it be compatible with the new Axe-FX III?

Yes, other threads on this... RJM will be working on the firmware once they get a unit and the code spec. There is also a thread on RJM's forum about it. It should still work, just have to do the manual thing.

Just FYI, it's already compatible in the broad sense of the word, as it's a MIDI controller and the Axe-Fx III is MIDI capable.

It's just that RJM's current software editor doesn't have an Axe-Fx III option in their drop-down list of devices, so you'd need to memorize / document all the Axe-Fx's MIDI CC associations and just use those. It's more of a pain this way than having a nice labeled list of functions, but it's doable.

Just FYI, it's already compatible in the broad sense of the word, as it's a MIDI controller and the Axe-Fx III is MIDI capable.

It's just that RJM's current software editor doesn't have an Axe-Fx III option in their drop-down list of devices, so you'd need to memorize / document all the Axe-Fx's MIDI CC associations and just use those. It's more of a pain this way than having a nice labeled list of functions, but it's doable.

This. I actually picked up a used RJM Mastermind LT for $200. So what if the stock AxeII mappings won't work out of the box? Just set up a generic device and assign a few switches. It's pretty straightforward and cheap.

Also, until the RJM has implemented the protocol, the GT probably won't be able to display the tuner, sync tempo, and import preset names.

Most likely won't do ANYTHING that requires two way communication, as that requires the controller to be "aware" of the Axe Fx III implementation... Which it isn't (yet).

So besides the stuff @yek mentioned, I would guess it also won't track IA states across scene changes, nor will it "know" the initial IA states (although that can probably be programmed per preset).

Just a quick note here. My Mastermind LT showed up and I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes with my 3. It's bonehead simple to program, especially with the app. I'm currently using the bank up and down as Preset + and -, and the 4 initial buttons as scenes. Page 2 for IA switches. Super easy. I even used the default template for the Axe-Fx II XL+ on the LT. Just set up the MIDI on the III to be like that and it works great. Obviously no 2 way MIDI yet, but as a simple but effective controller, it's easy.

Just a quick note here. My Mastermind LT showed up and I'm up and running in less than 5 minutes with my 3. It's bonehead simple to program, especially with the app. I'm currently using the bank up and down as Preset + and -, and the 4 initial buttons as scenes. Page 2 for IA switches. Super easy. I even used the default template for the Axe-Fx II XL+ on the LT. Just set up the MIDI on the III to be like that and it works great. Obviously no 2 way MIDI yet, but as a simple but effective controller, it's easy.

what did you do for channels?

what did you do for channels?

Baby steps. For now, I'm just using scenes, a few important IAs, and an expression pedal. If I want, I'm sure I can set up a page or two of channel buttons but that's complete overkill for what I do. 4 scenes per song is probably overkill right now too. I'll be good with this until the FC12 comes out.

Baby steps. For now, I'm just using scenes, a few important IAs, and an expression pedal. If I want, I'm sure I can set up a page or two of channel buttons but that's complete overkill for what I do. 4 scenes per song is probably overkill right now too. I'll be good with this until the FC12 comes out.

I'm sure it'll work... i could care less about the fc12. I just want my 2 way communication and all the goodies to work. Think i'll just have to forgo the channels until RJM updates.

Hey, just a heads up: don't make the mistake of enabling bidirectional MIDI on the Mastermind. I must have checked that box by accident, and with a certain sequence of events it seemed like the Mastermind was getting MIDI signals from the III and changing button states in an unpredictable, and unprogrammed way. I've turned that parameter off now but haven't retested.

I am using the III just fine with the MM using the existing II commands already programmed. Just put in the II's CCs on the IIIs MIDI page and add a new command for channels. Easy.

I've suggested an alternative method to select channels, to Ron of RJM. I hope he'll implement it. It's like this:

For any button assigned to a specific effect block, press-and-hold that button to enter a "Channel Select" mode, where you can simply press buttons 1-4 to switch between that effect's channels. The same would apply to a "Scene Select" mode.​

It allows quick access, and avoids the need for extensive programming.

I've suggested an alternative method to select channels, to Ron of RJM. I hope he'll implement it. It's like this:

For any button assigned to a specific effect block, press-and-hold that button to enter a "Channel Select" mode, where you can simply press buttons 1-4 to switch between that effect's channels.

It allows quick access, and avoids the need for extensive programming.

I love this. That will be very cool if implemented.
CC controlled channels have their place, though for sure. I've already taken one artist over to the III treating channels just as they would be treated on an amp. It's beyond awesome to be able to have an exact amp, all channels, in one III preset, accessible with simple CCs.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom