Global volume pedal not working

Azure

Hi, thanks for any help!
I have connected an EV-1 pedal as directed, including calibration, for global volume without function.

Is there anything further to do to trouble shoot?

Thanks again!

Thank you Chris,

I calibrated my pedal, plugged into the pedal 1 input, then configured it as out 2 post volume controller, but it hs no effect. I jusst noticed that peedl 1 is also connected as external 1, perhaps this is the issue?

Are you using an Axe FXII with an MFC-100 foot controller? I think maybe you have to assign a controller to both output 1 and output 2.

CC#11 and CC#12 would both have to be assigned to the same pedal in order for the pedal to work on both outputs.

CC#11 and CC#12 would both have to be assigned to the same pedal in order for the pedal to work on both outputs.
Thanks! No, I am using just tthe Fx8 mk 2 with the rv1 pedal, and just realized i had posted in the wrong section. Sorry to have been misleading!

Hmm, work on the in 1 pre volume, put not on the out 2 post globally, why?
I've moved the thread to FX8 forum.

You say pre works but not post - are you using the post section at all? Do you have cables running from the post in and out?

I've moved the thread to FX8 forum.

You say pre works but not post - are you using the post section at all? Do you have cables running from the post in and out?
Thanks again Chris,
Yes, I have control of pre-effect volume, but not post. It's actually fairly satisfying, but I would like to have control of effects tails.
I am running through the input and directly out the mono output. Should I be running a jumper across the send/return, or is there a midi control setting that will accomplish the same function?
Much appreciated!

So your amp is connected to Out 1 (Pre), not Out 2 (Post), and you're wondering why the volume control for Out 2 (Post) isn't affecting your volume?
Azure, it does sound like a routing issue and I truly hope you get this figured out.

I apologize for derailing the thread for a moment but I'm officially done with this forum. I guess maybe I'm too sensitive and have too high of an expectation that people treat each other with respect. A quick look at how long this user's been around and number of posts I believe should warrant a little understanding. You don't know their experience level or background. Not everyone is able to get a piece of gear like the FX8 and know exactly what to do and how to use it. At least try to offer some form of assistance rather than ridicule them.

Azure, it does sound like a routing issue and I truly hope you get this figured out.

I apologize for derailing the thread for a moment but I'm officially done with this forum. I guess maybe I'm too sensitive and have too high of an expectation that people treat each other with respect. A quick look at how long this user's been around and number of posts I believe should warrant a little understanding. You don't know their experience level or background. Not everyone is able to get a piece of gear like the FX8 and know exactly what to do and how to use it. At least try to offer some form of assistance rather than ridicule them.

It was a legitimate question and I absolutely wasn't trying to ridicule anyone. I'm truly sorry if it offended you. Troubleshooting and teaching is what I do. Asking questions is part of the process.

Back to the topic, if you are connected to Out 1 (Pre) and not using your amp's loop and not using a jumper cable connecting In 2 (Post) and Out 2 (Post), here are your volume options:

1. Global volume assigned to In 1 (Pre)
2. Global volume assigned to Out 1 (Pre)
3. A volume block in the preset placed wherever you'd prefer.

If you are using 4CM or you use a jumper cable between In 2 (Post) and Out 2 (Post), you can use factory 4CM presets and/or build presets that use both the pre and post sections, and you can use these additional volume options:

4. Global volume assigned to In 2 (Pre) - this will be after Pre affects and after your amp's Preamp in 4CM.
5. Global volume assigned to In 2 (Post) - this is after everything and will fully control the volume of all effects, both Pre and Post and effect tails.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to respond constructively Philip, much appreciated. I am surprised that the digital patch bay does not default to connectivity through the effect send/returns. I did not see anything that related to having to manually jump the effects loop in the manual, but I haven't made it through everything yet. Thanks as well to Sonofiam for sticking up for me, but no harm done, and no offense taken.

Thank you for taking the time to respond constructively Philip, much appreciated. I am surprised that the digital patch bay does not default to connectivity through the effect send/returns. I did not see anything that related to having to manually jump the effects loop in the manual, but I haven't made it through everything yet. Thanks as well to Sonofiam for sticking up for me, but no harm done, and no offense taken.

Since the unit was designed around 4CM, it doesn't really treat the In 2 / Out 2 like an effects loop in the same way as the AX8 or Axe-Fx. Jumpering the pre/post sections isn't described in the manual; it was something users came up with after the FX8 release.

By design, I think the intention was to create or use a preset with a pre/post configuration based on your amp hookup. If you aren't using an amp effects loop, just use Out 1 and ignore In 2 / Out 2 entirely. Design (or adjust) all your preset configs for 8 pre effects. If you want volume control after everything, set your pedal globally on Out 1 (Pre). If you want control of the volume before effect tails, place a VOL block in the preset before the verbs/delays. Just note that a global volume pedal is global and preset-specific assignments won't override the global function.

I did not see anything that related to having to manually jump the effects loop in the manual,
There's nothing in the manual describing this but there is a video by Chris@AxeFxTutorials on youtube.
I run amps with and without effects loops and use a jumper so I am able to leave the global volume set to IN 2 (POST) and not worry about re configuring presets. This will also allow you to place delays and reverbs in the POST section and have the trails continue after the volume is turned off.

My signal path for amps without an effects loop is: Guitar (tuner, external drives) to IN 1 (PRE); jumper from OUT 1 (PRE) Left into IN 2 (POST) Left; OUT 2 (POST) Left to the front of amp .

I did not see anything that related to having to manually jump the effects loop in the manual,
That's not the proper solution. What you should ultimately do is change all Blocks to Pre if you are only using the Pre I/O. The presets are made indicating what setup they were made for (Pre, Post, 4cm).

For convenience sake, you CAN put a 1/4" cable and physically connect Pre out to Post in. But again, you can just change blocks to pre (or just to whatever you are using) for the same exact result.

I've been using the FX8 with the jumper between Out Pre and In Post for about 3 months now and I wish I would have tried it sooner. The music I play relies upon ambient delays and reverbs with trails. The jumper solution has given me the option of creating one preset for use with any amp regardless of an effects loop.

This 'improper' solution has worked well and has simplified the creation and organizing of presets for me. If a user wants to use a volume block then by all means, set all effects to PRE and place the volume block where it's needed. It is absolutely an option but is not the only way to use the FX8.

This idea that there's only certain ways to use or setup the FX8 and telling people that they are using it wrong if they use any other method is a large part of why I've decided to quit the forum. I'm sticking around this thread hoping to help the OP understand the FX8 is a tool and they should feel free to set it up however they want. There is an understanding of how the signal flows that they will need and I believe that's been explained.

I've been using the FX8 with the jumper between Out Pre and In Post for about 3 months now and I wish I would have tried it sooner. The music I play relies upon ambient delays and reverbs with trails. The jumper solution has given me the option of creating one preset for use with any amp regardless of an effects loop.

This 'improper' solution has worked well and has simplified the creation and organizing of presets for me. If a user wants to use a volume block then by all means, set all effects to PRE and place the volume block where it's needed. It is absolutely an option but is not the only way to use the FX8.

This idea that there's only certain ways to use or setup the FX8 and telling people that they are using it wrong if they use any other method is a large part of why I've decided to quit the forum. I'm sticking around this thread hoping to help the OP understand the FX8 is a tool and they should feel free to set it up however they want. There is an understanding of how the signal flows that they will need and I believe that's been explained.
i used the term "improper" very loosely there, and just meant that it was not designed to be used that way.

but in the first moments i received the FX8, i put a jumper cable mostly for convenience so i could hear all the presets going straight to a cab block sim pedal then straight to a FRFR speaker. i believe i was the first person to publicize using the FX8 that way, and have ONLY used it that way on my gigs. for Beta Testing i've used it that way too, in addition to 4cm, Pre only, Post only, etc.

i would still teach the FX8 saying that a jumper cable is the "improper way" to do it. changing the blocks to Pre or Post is the technically correct way to do it, mostly because the OUPUTS of Pre vs POST are intended for different things - instrument input on the amp vs FX return or other line level input.

but this is music and gear, so whatever works, works.

there ARE technical reasons for why something can be considered improper, or not the best way to do it. it's a shame to quit the forum because of explanations that are factually correct. that said, if someone is badgering or condemning another for doing something a certain way, i can understand.

but for all intents and purposes, as far as my understanding of the FX8 goes, a jumper cable is still technically "improper" and changing the blocks internally to Pre or Post to fit your specific setup is the absolute best thing to do.

There seems to be a dogmatic philosophy that permeates this forum by the "experienced" users that their way is the only way to use a particular Fractal product. I've seen this with the AxeFx and AX8 as well. The designer(s) may have 'intended' it to be used a certain way but it does not make it the only way it can be used. I can only imagine what today's "experienced" users would have done when someone thought about jumping the inputs on a Bassman or Plexi.

To say that using the FX8 any other way than intended is improper is in essence saying that it is wrong. If it will in any way harm the FX8 or the amp, by all means we should tell them not to do it and explain why. If it's going to have a detrimental impact on their tone or the way effects respond, we should give them that information and allow them to make the decision. If it works for them that's all that matters, if it sounds good to them it is good.

I believe that forums are to help others when they're stuck and discover the best solution that fits their needs. We should be encouraging users to explore and experiment as long as they are doing so without risk to themselves or their gear. Telling someone they're wrong and that your way is the best and only way does nothing to promote this. While it may be "factually correct" that a certain way of using the FX8 is not what was intended really does nothing to help them.

We can go around and around debating whether it should be done or not but the fact of the matter is the FX8 can be used/configured in ways other than what was 'intended'. Some will even criticize when it is used in a way that was intended. I use the FX8 primarily as a pedalboard in the old stompbox mode and have been told I don't have a good understanding of how it's supposed to be used. Each user's needs are different and how they eventually learn how to fill that need is ultimately all that matters. Each of us "experienced" users have discovered what works for us, it doesn't make it the correct or only way.

Back
Top Bottom