Asking for your TRUTH

To whom it may concern, i am new a this forum and new to the axe fx, i haven't replied yet because i need more time to read/try all the great ideas people have written...
BTW - thank you all

Thanks for posting your status regarding your OP question. The AxeFX II is a lot to take in at first and it will take some time to get the most out of it.

Happy New Year! :)

If you've gotta have the sound of a cab in the room, you need a cab in the room. It's pretty much that simple.

This. I get tired of people here saying the an Axe 2 rig CAN'T get an amp in the room sound or IR's are everything, etc, as if FRFR is the only way to construct an AF2 rig, that's absurd. The preamps and power amp models are pretty much dead bang accurate down to the control tapers for MIMICed models. All you need is a flat amp and a guitar cab of choice.

Bring up an amp model, set speaker resonance for your cab, dial amp model, BOOM. The AF2 is a best in class preamp/processor for a traditional guitar cab based rig, that's why I chose it over Kemper, Tri-Axis, etc.

I did almost all of my gigs in 2013 with just the AXE-FX. A few with powered FRFR monitors (which I did not like) a good number with with a passive FRFR monitor which I liked, and the balance with real cabs (which I loved).

For 2014 I think I am going to do some gigs with tube combo amps and use the Axe-FX for effects. If I really like it I might switch over and use a LFJR instead of the MFC. It will certainly lighten my load significantly.

yeah, out here on the east coast it's all about having the smallest, lightest rig without sacrificing tone. the only way i found that possible was to use a real tube amp with the axe fx for effects. it has nothing to do with the axe fx- the amp modeling is fantastic. it has everything to do with the other end of the equation- the amplification of the modeler. it would take at least 2 FRFR units to cover what my redplate blackloop 1x12 amp does and i can't add any extra weight or bulkiness to my rig. there are so many gigs where i'm crammed in a corner of a club and don't have an inch of extra space (i'm sure you can relate ;)) there are a lot of gigs i do where there are no monitors at all. i also have a 4 floor walkup in my building so that is also a concern. if i was a rock or a top 40 player who was playing on big stages with a pro-level PA system, i would just bring my guitar and axe fx and be done with it but those types of gigs are few and far between. i think you will be happiest going the same route that i did.

Precisely. Until you've hooked up a real amp in the studio and A/B'd that with an Axe-Fx II you just don't realize how accurate the modeling is.

Now, with that said, the sound of an "amp in the room" is a completely different thing and if that's what you are after then use a power amp and guitar cab. No amount of tweaking or playing with IRs is going to make a near-field monitor sound like a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 (or whatever) guitar cab. The directivity is completely different and you simply can't fool your brain when it comes to directivity.

this is why I like to gig with 4x12 cabs and record with the Axe DI'd
the 4x12's give me 'that feeling' live
and I also know with 100% certainty that I could absolutely never get close to the recording quality the Axe delivers when DI'd
I simply don't have the environment or equipment
and when session'ing for others, I save loads of studio time / effort not even having to worry about mic'ing up
that just leaves me with the task of nailing the performance and delivering a very high quality end result in a timely fashion..

for my needs, all boxes get ticked, and get ticked very well..

To whom it may concern, i am new a this forum and new to the axe fx, i haven't replied yet because i need more time to read/try all the great ideas people have written...
BTW - thank you all
Thanks for responding, Yzaviv. No need to remain silent until you've tried all possible ideas. Post again, and let us know what you've tried and how it's working for you.

It's so funny to me. I hear all this talk about "Amp in the room" and the Axe not sounding quite the same as one's favorite amp. The amp in the room sound is very misleading since the sound you're hearing is quite often based on reflections from the sound hitting the walls in the room which almost always give some sort of damping effect. It's not too much different from someone using a tube amp on stage blowing at their ankles and suddenly they tell the FOH engineer to take the mix out of their monitor because it sounds to harsh. Most guitarists should adjust their tone with the cab right in their face to truly hear what the amp is sounding like. I for one, love the Axe and FRFR with my CLR pointed up in my face. I know exactly what the audience is hearing. just my .02

FWIW,

I still think "amp in room" is a useless sound. Music is meant to be heard. And no one in the world, except YOU are ever going to hear the "amp in room" tone. Its heard through PA speakers or Recordings.

This means 99.99999% of all guitar tones player's hear are filtered through a micing process.

If you must have that amp in room tone...get an amp. But don't EVER expect it to sound better then an Axe Fx 2 to someone listening to you play.

Dude, this is SUCH a great post, and bang on the money.

yeah, out here on the east coast it's all about having the smallest, lightest rig without sacrificing tone. the only way i found that possible was to use a real tube amp with the axe fx for effects. it has nothing to do with the axe fx- the amp modeling is fantastic. it has everything to do with the other end of the equation- the amplification of the modeler. it would take at least 2 FRFR units to cover what my redplate blackloop 1x12 amp does and i can't add any extra weight or bulkiness to my rig. there are so many gigs where i'm crammed in a corner of a club and don't have an inch of extra space (i'm sure you can relate ;)) there are a lot of gigs i do where there are no monitors at all. i also have a 4 floor walkup in my building so that is also a concern. if i was a rock or a top 40 player who was playing on big stages with a pro-level PA system, i would just bring my guitar and axe fx and be done with it but those types of gigs are few and far between. i think you will be happiest going the same route that i did.

Sometimes, I use a little 30w 1x12 combo amp just for the power amp and speaker. When I use it that way I plug into the front of the AxeFx and out of outpu2 L into the combo amp's fx loop return. Works great as just another way to get some cool tones without adding any more kit.

If you are already hauling the Redplate amp and AxeFx, you should try the AxeFx in the fx loop return only and turn on the amp modeling. My combo has a celestion in it so it really kicks ass on Marshall amp models but it's okay for cleans too.

Sometimes, I use a little 30w 1x12 combo amp just for the power amp and speaker. When I use it that way I plug into the front of the AxeFx and out of outpu2 L into the combo amp's fx loop return. Works great as just another way to get some cool tones without adding any more kit.

If you are already hauling the Redplate amp and AxeFx, you should try the AxeFx in the fx loop return only and turn on the amp modeling. My combo has a celestion in it so it really kicks ass on Marshall amp models but it's okay for cleans too.

i've tried that but i don't really need the amp modeling live. 95% of the time i play with a clean (or almost clean) tone- mostly jazz gigs and i also play with a few bands that do motown/dance/funk/r&b music. the clean channel of the redplate is super versatile and always gives me the tone that i want. i use the drive blocks anytime i need dirt so i don't really need the amp modeling. now i do use the amp modeling anytime i record. to me that's where the amp modeling in the axe fx II really shines!

Hm. For those who really think the amp in the room sound is completely worthless, I guess you haven't played a lot of gigs without a PA in a great sounding room?

I've played hundreds of gigs with just an amp in the room sound & nary a mic anywhere near my amp! I agree to an extent with what Gamedojo says but that percentage is waaaaay high!

Hm. For those who really think the amp in the room sound is completely worthless, I guess you haven't played a lot of gigs without a PA in a great sounding room?

If its a great sounding room... a Good PA speaker behind you pushing your AxeFx2 guitar patch will sound even better to an audience then a guitar amp in that same room. Reflections in an acoustically treated room benefits all audio devices. The difference is that the Axe Fx with a neutral PA speaker will spread your frequencies better then an open backed amp. Maybe not so much to YOU on stage, but to the audience for sure.

...also, if its a gig without a PA, I would say its worthless...'cause you're probably not getting paid much :) HEHE

No, because how many "great sounding rooms" are there for playing gigs in ?

I've been in venues without a PA, and they were far, far from "great sounding rooms"

I guess if you want to have a handful of people over to hear how great your amp sounds unmic'd then more power to you, but just doesn't seem all that practical.

Wonder if John Mayer or someone is going to start charging $1000 per ticket to play "great rooms" unmiked for a lucky few, rather than subjecting his tone to the PA system in the arena......?

FWIW,

I still think "amp in room" is a useless sound. Music is meant to be heard. And no one in the world, except YOU are ever going to hear the "amp in room" tone. Its heard through PA speakers or Recordings.

This means 99.99999% of all guitar tones player's hear are filtered through a micing process.

If you must have that amp in room tone...get an amp. But don't EVER expect it to sound better then an Axe Fx 2 to someone listening to you play.

But this is about US. 99.99999% of guitarists have stood in front of their amp to hear themselves and that is what 99.999989993345098% of guitarists are trying to replace with the AxeFX. I'm exaggerating but I think what you are saying applies to non-guitarists and that's an excellent point but we are really talking about US enjoying the sound. It's like stage costuming that looks awesome to the audience or on film but is itchy and scratchy to the performer. I'd like to perform in comfortable clothes like the ones I lounge in at home or with friends.

disclaimer: please note that I'm not saying that the AxeFX+whatever speakers can or can't get the in-the-room sound or even if it matters. I'm just supporting those who would like to achieve it.

Redplate Blackloop. Very Nice!

Henry's amps kill.

That to me sounds like an orgy of tone setup!!!

Thinking of a similar setup with a Carol Ann. I Just placed an order for the LFJR.

If I set it up for 8 presets -- I am done -- I really do not need to do any pedal dancing.

I have a gig next sat and I am going to take out my Carr rambler. My wife found my old Boss ME-50 in the basement and the sucker does not sound bad at all. All I need to do is add my Zendrive to the mix and I can do the gig. The space we have to setup our 6 piece band is small even for a 3 piece band of midget ukulele players. :lol

Forgot to ask ... can you bypass the Redplate preamp and use one of the Axe-Fx preamps?

I am wondering if to do this properly the amp needs to be modified in some way.

What would be cool is to have a midi interface with the amp to control the OD channel and bypass the preamp (and incorporate into your patches/scenes)

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb post, is ideally it would be suggested to go direct (FOH) and have some sort of monitor in front on me?

The reason i ask is because I was looking into getting a matrix gt1000 but I don't know if that would be ideal for me.

If you want the amp in the room feeling on stage then the matrix with a guitar cab is the right way to go.
If you do not need this feeling and the air that a guitar cab moves a good FRFR monitor would be OK too. What you prefer you will have to find out for yourself, but if you are used to tube amps and guitar cabs I'd strongly suggest the first option.

Reactions: LVC
Sorry for the dumb post, is ideally it would be suggested to go direct (FOH) and have some sort of monitor in front on me?

The reason i ask is because I was looking into getting a matrix gt1000 but I don't know if that would be ideal for me.

When you gig ..

Do you mike your amp?
Are drums, bass, keys etc going through PA as well?

Back
Top Bottom