My opinion on FAS Cab Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engineers and producers involved in this have more experience than everyone here combined. To criticize them based on a few random photos is……..
is…..…exactly what idiots on the internet live for. IMO, another reason to have tiered forums -- to help insulate professionals that everyone can learn from, from the clowns whose posts cause them to avoid forums.

The Petrucci cab is not a Producer Pack Cab. It is actually captured from Petrucci's Cab, mic'd the way he mics it.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the inaccurate data. BTW, I think the FAS IRs are good but my ear prefers the OH. Who knows though. My ears seem to follow a sound after a while. Sometimes I get lost in the IR debates when it comes to what to use and what to mix. Nothing but love of FAS from me. Sorry this thread went a different direction.

is…..…exactly what idiots on the internet live for. IMO, another reason to have tiered forums -- to help insulate professionals that everyone can learn from, from the clowns whose posts cause them to avoid forums.

I agree that there are some threads that are ignorant but I don't know if this could be counted as being purely ignorant... if so then equally on both sides. Imagine this kind of a scenario: I state an opinion: "I have never really liked Aerosmith's guitar tones". Would it cause this kind of drama? I'm actually pretty sure no one would even state the experience/budget/knowledge behind those tones. Why? Because everyone has a right to an opinion and the experience/budget/knowledge wouldn't make me like the tones more. Freedom of speech is not reality these days and IMO this is a good example of it.

I actually thought about this today and realized that no one tried to help me. That would be my first response if someone stated f.ex. that "Axe-Fx II is not working for me". I would say: "Try the Yellow Triaxis channel it always sounds good and try this and that IR". So my conclusion was that while at the same time everyone didn't like that I didn't like this product, they still trust my ability to use this product. Well... I've been hyping IR importance before FAS was doing it. I'm the one who was tone matching before it was a feature in the Axe-Fx. I'm in a deeeeep rabbit hole with this whole IR thing and people might not know where I'm coming from... in the first post I said: I AM PICKY! :) I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I agree that there are some threads that are ignorant but I don't know if this could be counted as being purely ignorant... if so then equally on both sides. Imagine this kind of a scenario: I state an opinion: "I have never really liked Aerosmith's guitar tones". Would it cause this kind of drama? I'm actually pretty sure no one would even state the experience/budget/knowledge behind those tones. Why? Because everyone has a right to an opinion and the experience/budget/knowledge wouldn't make me like the tones more. Freedom of speech is not reality these days and IMO this is a good example of it.

I actually thought about this today and realized that no one tried to help me. That would be my first response if someone stated f.ex. that "Axe-Fx II is not working for me". I would say: "Try the Yellow Triaxis channel it always sounds good and try this and that IR". So my conclusion was that while at the same time everyone didn't like that I didn't like this product, they still trust my ability to use this product. Well... I've been hyping IR importance before FAS was doing it. I'm the one who was tone matching before it was a feature in the Axe-Fx. I'm in a deeeeep rabbit hole with this whole IR thing and people might not know where I'm coming from... in the first post I said: I AM PICKY! :) I guess I wasn't clear enough.

People saw you jump to conclusions without all of the information and read Cliffs first statement (which seems annoyed in tone) which led them to get defensive.

The first failing: you not having all of the information, and giving advice based on this. It happens everyone and we suck it up. No harm done usually. It happened to me last week FWIW. I apologised and moved on, and so well I should.

The second failing: The first Mod comment being dismissive. If there's a claim being made, even in ignorance, a Mods job is to clarify information which led to the misunderstanding if the other isn't being a troll, and if they are, to discipline them.

A tiered system could combat this, but can also lead to people with genuine findings being ignored, could stop the flow of knowledge sharing and WILL lead to elitism (academic and otherwise) within the forum. With Mods not being dismissive to a genuine claim we wouldn't need a tiered system.

Some of the best tones I've heard have been by bedroom musicians and amateurs. Just because someone has worked with U2 (for example) doesn't make them the best person to record an orchestra, and in much the same way, they may not be the best person to capture an IR.

So where does that leave things? Needing a qualification to capture an IR or build a tone? Needing some form of validation (professional or otherwise) to sound an opinion on a guitar tone? Both would be ridiculous.

There are a lot of people who get their feelings hurt by a perceived criticism.

I would like to thank Cliff for clarifying how the IRs were captured, and defending his product in a mature way. That's why I like the forum here and FAS products in general. There's no sales B.S. from management.

For everyone else, if you're offended, you would be better served by growing up and moving on. You're not helping the fanboy image.

I say again - Clark Kent basically took a giant shart in fractal church-land.

I say keep the forum wide and open, so that people like me get to laugh when people say silly things. It makes me do the smiles.

I would like to thank Cliff for clarifying how the IRs were captured, and defending his product in a mature way.

it's a bit more than just "defending", when saying the product is good just because it was done by "professionals". this seems a bit ignorant to me tbh.

it's also sad to see how any form of negative criticism is simply being ignored.
ive been watching this for a while now and everytime anyone has something negative
to say he get's instantly bashed and drowned in absolute child-like "you are wrong and now shut the fuck up" comments. sad.

the responses were negative because his post was based on his assumptions and the ideia that these IRs are of low quality by saying things like:

"passed my (very strict) criteria"
"I'm very picky"
"I can tell the mics are misplaced at least according to my school of thought."

than he says he wants to offer constructive criticism (even though he doesn't really know how the cabs were miced)

now, the people who placed the mics are apparently professionals with lots of years of experience and maybe the ones who helped create revered guitar tones

to say things like this:

"For those who don't have the experience I'd simply like to point out that what ever is close to a mic when it's recording will influence the sound. F.ex. if you place tape on the cloth to mark a good mic position it will cause weird phasy sounds."

seems a bit out of order

I have no experience micing cabs so I can't pass judgement, but what has me curious since the start of this thread is what was the point of releasing photos of a mic setup that is out of place? 'A picture says a thousand words', after all.

I agree with the comment above. I thought it was unnecessary for fractal to get defensive over it and attack the OP. Peculiar response, really.

FWIW using the fact that the work was done by experienced professionals as some demonstration of unassailable argument doesn't quite cut it for me. I'm sure most of the professionals in the forum could agree, industry professionals are constantly subject to scrutiny. It comes with the territory. Plus, no matter how great you are, you're only as good as your last job.

The Producer Packs are also lacking in the V30 department. That Petrucci cab is DARK!

Yes, the Petrucci cab is dark and I often skipped it. But after paying more attention to it, I realised it's a terrific V30 cab. Combines very well with Bogners, Diezel etc. Just adjust the amp controls to compensate (more presence / treble).

I think the Hot Kitty Mix cab is a single V30 cabinet (custom Celestion V30 for Bad Cat).
The Carvin Legacy 2x12 are V30s.

Last edited:
And in one of the Producer Packs there's a JCM800 V30 library, although it's not listed for an unknown reason.

I had inquired a couple times about what speaker was used for the, FAS JCM 800 cab with no response. So that cab had a V-30 or are you talking about a whole different JCM 800 library cab using the V-30?

Yeah, I have to retract that. I'm not sure it's a V30 in the JCM800 Mad Oak set.

Hey Clark, I don't really think your op was ill intended or a bad one. You were simply stating your opinion based on your experience. There is always some truth in any criticism and it is really revealing how this particular one was received and responded too. Some peoples panties get in a wad easier than others. Just a fact of life. I think you handled all of this with grace and poise…..even when the claws came out. Kudos to you my friend. Just keep being honest is all I can say.

I thought it went a bit tits up when the pictures were being used to discuss flaws. Even with a disclaimer, I thought that was bad form.

There always are a lot of "I"s in your posts, not counting "IR".

Something I learned during the first month of being a member in here: You can never overuse "I think" / "in my opinion" / "IMO" etc. because if you write like normal people talk then you will get attacked. It's like people don't get how other people have their own opinions which is exactly what this thread was about. So what is this about then? Is this about FAS staff members (including you yek) trying to somehow prove that people can not have opinions?

Things are so black and white in here. I'd give this pack an 8/10 score. It's okay! I was let down because from FAS I was expecting a 10/10. Shades of gray and all that.

Something I learned during the first month of being a member in here: You can never overuse "I think" / "in my opinion" / "IMO" etc. because if you write like normal people talk then you will get attacked. It's like people don't get how other people have their own opinions which is exactly what this thread was about. So what is this about then? Is this about FAS staff members (including you yek) trying to somehow prove that people can not have opinions?

Things are so black and white in here. I'd give this pack an 8/10 score. It's okay! I was let down because from FAS I was expecting a 10/10. Shades of gray and all that.

Let's get it into the open since it's getting personal:

1. I'm not a member of FAS staff. I'm not getting paid by FAS, I never feel the need or desire to defend FAS as a company, I can be critical (before or behind the scenes) and I'm free as a bird. I just like FAS' main product a lot, which should be evident. :)

2. I think you're a gifted musician, you write catchy stuff, you have great ears and production skills.

3. I don't care if you're bashing the FAS IRs. Why should I? I didn't like, as a forum member, the "tone" of that post. I would have felt the same if it had been another product or manufacturer. The "disclaimer" you added makes no sense at all, of course.

4. What I don't understand is your never-ending ambition to promote yourself and putting out your subjective opinions in a "I-know-it-all" way. Too many times you've been proven wrong too. That's why I wrote what I wrote above. You did it all the time a few years ago when you were younger and we know how that ended; your post back then is still online BTW. And you're still doing it today. I haven't a clue why you need to prove yourself that much. Maybe it's a generation thing and I'm getting old. But my 3 sons don't exhibit such behavior. Let your music and your skills speak for themselves, those suffice, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom