New OwnHammer cabinet Poweramp differences

AminorZmajor

Experienced
I purchased the new OwnHammer cabs and I really digging these cabs and was curious as to the differences between the power amps that created the IR. Here is a riff using the OH Mar-CB V30-EN from the Modern pack. It is the Studio Vintage Mix using the T1 amp then the T2 amp followed by the SS amp. All settings on the Axe-FX II were identical as was the guitar etc.... The patch used was number 69 Brit 800 Mod with a few slight tweaks. Firmware version 11b. Oh, extra points two the first person to ID the riff...... LOL..... I hope I didn't brutalize it so much you can't recognize it. :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the new OwnHammer cabs and I really digging these cabs and was curious as to the differences between the power amps that created the IR. Here is a riff using the OH Mar-CB V30-EN from the Modern pack. It is the Studio Vintage Mix using the T1 amp then the T2 amp followed by the SS amp. All settings on the Axe-FX II were identical as was the guitar etc.... The patch used was number 69 Brit 800 Mod with a few slight tweaks. Firmware version 11b. Oh, extra points two the first person to ID the riff...... LOL..... I hope I didn't brutalize it so much you can't recognize it. :lol

https://soundcloud.com/stringmachine/cab-oh-mar-cb-v30-en-sudio

I like T2
The riif sounds like Rock me to the top from Tesla mech resonance

T2 was the best IMO. Bare in mind that for some reason most IRs being sold are made with SS power amps. I never liked that idea....... I'm sure most will think SS was clearly worst in this example.

I'm sure most will think SS was clearly worst in this example.
true. T2 sounded best to me. to be honest, I don't care that much if an SS or Tube poweramp was used as long as the result is good. I've mic'ed plenty of cabs in studios with the mics running into mic pres coloring the sound to a huge extent. as long as the outcome is good, all is good.

I bought both modern and Vintage pack! They sound fabulous! After some test with ss,
T1 and T2, it became obvious to me the tone was more open, warm and alibe using T1 and T2! All my 100 user cab slots are now fill with those along with Fractal cabs mixes!

to be honest, I don't care that much if an SS or Tube poweramp was used as long as the result is good. I've mic'ed plenty of cabs in studios with the mics running into mic pres coloring the sound to a huge extent. as long as the outcome is good, all is good.

Exactly!

Many designers have shunned the 1073 design because of how fundamentally unfaithful the signal coming out is in terms of an accurate representation of what went in. That hasn't stopped it from being what may be the most popular and copied mic preamp in history. My advice to folks is not to listen to theoretical jargon or succumb to preconception - try things out, listen, and go with what you think sounds best for your tone objective and application. There is no right nor wrong in sound, it's all preference, and it varies over an infinite amount of conditions. :)

Yes, I couldn't agree more that if it sounds good it is good. I will investigate a little more about the 1073 design...... LOL.... Still very new to understanding IR's etc...

Exactly!

Many designers have shunned the 1073 design because of how fundamentally unfaithful the signal coming out is in terms of an accurate representation of what went in. That hasn't stopped it from being what may be the most popular and copied mic preamp in history. My advice to folks is not to listen to theoretical jargon or succumb to preconception - try things out, listen, and go with what you think sounds best for your tone objective and application. There is no right nor wrong in sound, it's all preference, and it varies over an infinite amount of conditions. :)

Yes but I honestly think it's an error to think that since there's tube amp modeling in the Axe-Fx the IR's shouldn't be done using tube power amps. Just think about it.

The only way that would make sense is if the Axe-Fx power amp simulation is modeling what happens to the cab when driven with different power amps but (correct me if I'm wrong) don't we have a separate cab block and the power amp simulation is not affecting it?

I like T1, because it sounds the most 'modern-ish'. Really good for 80s heavy metal. The others are more vintage-y/new rock-y. All I think work fine, depending on your taste and all.

When recording, the different "flavors" that the mic pre's impart on the different instruments being recorded are what give recordings life... different engineers love different sonic signatures that different mic press print on certain instruments... use your ear and not your eyes ( for the most part )... ;-)

Yes but I honestly think it's an error to think that since there's tube amp modeling in the Axe-Fx the IR's shouldn't be done using tube power amps. Just think about it.

The only way that would make sense is if the Axe-Fx power amp simulation is modeling what happens to the cab when driven with different power amps but (correct me if I'm wrong) don't we have a separate cab block and the power amp simulation is not affecting it?

The Axe-fx poweramp simulation does model what happens between the poweramp and cab. That is what the whole speaker tabs does in the amp block (Low freq Res, Hi Freq Res, Xformer lo frq, xformer Hi freq, etc.)

That being said since the cab block is separate, assumptions have to be made about what those parameters should be by default.

From the manual:

"5.1.2 Amp Speaker Parameters
These parameters shape the virtual speaker impedance curve and the resulting resonances in the virtual power
amp. Amp- Speaker interaction causes an increase in power amplifier response at certain frequencies, affecting the
tone. Note that the power amp frequency response will not equal the speaker impedance if the DAMPING is
greater than 0. This is because negative feedback flattens the response curve."

I thought the same thing about using a tube power amp when Kevin brought up the method some time ago. I thought it may be too much in a bad way with the power amp modelling in the Axe... I can't argue with the results after using them. As far as what I prefer... I prefer T1 as I tend to drop some low mids in my tone equation, (pending on the amp sim). With other sims I prefer T2 for the very reason of adding low mids when the sim could use a push in that frequency range without having to frig with additional EQing.

I look at the power amp choices in the Ownhammer Mix sets as a different way of imparting "colour", just as the preamp choices in the Fractal Producer Cab Packs do.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom