Are you tired of FRFR?

I don't know about you guys, but after months of playing FRFR I am just not feeling the mojo anymore. There is just something missing. I have been agonizing over this for about 2 weeks, been having dreams about it and I think I need an intervention.

Then I read about some folks using the Fryette 2/50/2 and a traditional git-cab and getting great full, deep and sweet and chime-like tones. So I say to myself, is FRFR really just too transparent? Is it not providing that emotional link to get the mojo flowing? Is it like playing a CD vs vinyl through a fine audio system. Is the FRFR lacking some "presence" that the traditional system can provide.

So am I just becoming insanely OCD?
What do you think?

All my best,
Jake

I don't know about you guys, but after months of playing FRFR I am just not feeling the mojo anymore. There is just something missing. I have been agonizing over this for about 2 weeks, been having dreams about it and I think I need an intervention.

Then I read about some folks using the Fryette 2/50/2 and a traditional git-cab and getting great full, deep and sweet and chime-like tones. So I say to myself, is FRFR really just too transparent? Is it not providing that emotional link to get the mojo flowing? Is it like playing a CD vs vinyl through a fine audio system. Is the FRFR lacking some "presence" that the traditional system can provide.

What do you think?

All my best,
Jake

What kind of FRFR, do you have?

Firstly, you need to find what makes YOU happy. I wasn't happy with FRFR until I bought my RCF. I am a huge cheapskate, but every other full range speaker setup I tried was seriously lacking the mojo. I went FRFR, because I want to hear what the audience is hearing (well as close as you can get). It's also a huge change for me not having to move a rack and a full stack. Now it's just the RCF monitor and a 4 space SKB.

Firstly, you need to find what makes YOU happy. I wasn't happy with FRFR until I bought my RCF. I am a huge cheapskate, but every other full range speaker setup I tried was seriously lacking the mojo. I went FRFR, because I want to hear what the audience is hearing (well as close as you can get). It's also a huge change for me not having to move a rack and a full stack. Now it's just the RCF monitor and a 4 space SKB.

THIS. I feel your pain about wondering if FRFR is the way to go, as some 'mojo' is missing...

honestly for me, I had to accept that what I was going to hear was the 'finished' product that FOH hears - a (simulated) mic'd guitar signal, and not my raw guitar signal that I'm so used to. being in a regular gigging club band, I am quite interested in being sure that what the FOH hears is good. it's most definitely not my old analog / tube setup, I can still crank up my powered monitor and get feedback, but it's quite directional and 'gets lost' in stage noise at times. all I have to do is step back close to my monitor again and I'm back 'in the zone' though. the tone is awesome though, and I can hear it out front when I turn my monitor down a touch - and it sounds fantastic! I haven't ever been as satisfied with my guitar rig as I am with the Axe Fx II / MFC-101.

the RCF or the CLR should be enough to put a smile on your face if you like FRFR.
I am one of "those guys" using a tube power amp and with me it's not so much the actual sound , I love the way FRFR sounds, but
I just always felt like something was missing in the "feel" department.
Try one of those FRFR wedges first before you give up on it.
(see guys I'm not anti FRFR, it's just not for me................ right now :) )

What do you think?

All my best,
Jake

What is you application situation? Live gigging with a loud rock band? Soft gigging in a jazz trio? Home yucks only? Studio only? Pro? Semi-pro? Ameteur? Hobbyist? What gear are you using outside the AxeFxII (guitar, stomps, FR cabinet, traditional cabinet, etc., etc.)?

I do not find the AxeFx experience to be one where the amplified tone is NECESSARILY like that of a fully mastered guitar tone on a recording, complete with post-processing compression, EQ'ing, sweetening, etc....but it certainly CAN be made to sound like that, and for some situations, the fully processed route works best...but it can also sound very raw and amp-like IMO.

I would say that if you aren't feeling the mojo with just using an amp block and cab block with your favorite type of each, and maybe a touch of reverb or delay, and you crank it up a bit, then you may never get there, unless of course, you are willing to drop the $$$ dough-ray-me for a top end FRFR cabinet....but I'm just guessing here. There are plenty of guys who are tube and "amp in the room" snobs who have been won over by the AxeFxII + FRFR cab combination for accurately replicating the sound and feel of a tube guitar amp rig or combo.

But first, please....tell us more about yourself. ;)

I'm thrilled with my FRFR solution. As a home hobbyist, it's perfect for me and the sound is incredible.

XiTone 1x12 active wedge, btw.

FRFR isn't for everyone. The upside of that is that the Axe-FX works wonderfully in traditional setups too.

To me, success with FRFR depends on mainly two factors overall.

1) Quality of your FRFR solution. You truly do get what you pay for; and it isn't cheap for the good stuff.
2) Quality of your IR's. There is so much development here coming (Own Hammer) or just here (Fractal's Mix IR's) that I won't belabor it. But your Cab block is *just* as important - if not more (believe it or not) - than your amp block in the FRFR world.

FR = Full Range
FRFRF = Full Range Flat Response

example:
FR = Mackie 450
FRFR = Atomic CLR

If Uncle Feng is tired of FR solutions, I can see that. IF he is tired of FRFR, then he is doing something wrong.

I do kind of miss having a 4x12 sometimes. The benefit is mostly aesthetic and psychological, though, and the extra versatility and more convenient form factor of a wedge outweighs the badassery of rocking a 4x12.

Real helpful! Maybe now tell him he doesn't know how to create patches as well?

Why is suggesting FW11 "bad" advice or have anything to do with putting down the OP's programming skills ?

I found as soon as I d/l'd fw11b that I felt I was getting a lot more of an "amp in room" feeling out of my monitors. I had the KPA as well and went back and forth with which to keep, Axe had features, KPA sounded a little more dynamic and like a real amp, ended up sticking with the Axe and then I tried 11 and everything I thought I was missing before was no longer an issue. It was the missing link, as I think Cliff put it. Now playing a DR patch through my monitors sounds and feels quite like when I had a real DRRI sitting in the room with me.

So my advice for anyone feeling they are missing out a little of the "realness" you may get form a cab in the room, is give 11 a try if you haven't already.

I saw that with no disrespect for anyones talent and I'm sure you've all tweaked your respective FW to its fullest, but just feel 11 will take you one step further.

What was already very good will be even better. What maybe was missing before, suddenly will fall into place

Remember it doesnt need to be either/or, you can always get a low priced 4x12 (lots of cheapies on CL etc) and something like a EXH 2 cal amp, and run that along with a FRFR system. Stef from the Deftones does just that in fact.

Have a nice FRFR setup for certain models, using open back IR's etc, and when you patch/style works for it, run through a real cab sometimes.

Axe is very versatile and can handle a bunch of different setups. Most days my 4x12 Marshall cab merely acts as a shelf/table for amp heads and my Axe, but other days I actually plug in it and play it, just like with some old amps I've got, like my 65 Bassman.

Sometimes the Axe II gets used for nothing but effects with a valve amp, rest of the time its nothing but 100% modeling. I enjoy both and am glad that using a real cab/amp doesn't mean I can never use modeling and vice versa

Options are a nice thing to have, especially when both are awesome. Axe II is as good as it gets for modeling and a loud 4x12 is pure Rn'FR, and tons of people would love to get to play either. Most of us can be lucky enough to enjoy both.

Back
Top Bottom