Fremen comin' to the States

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
There's a good possibility I'll come to the States for the first time in my life, in September, for something like two weeks. I'll come there to meet my GF who got a 6 months work contract there. For budget reasons (I live in a third world country, with the sort of salary you get there), I'll probably stay around NY, but I don't exclude traveling a bit, specially as I would love to meet fellow Axe users, and possibly jam, even on a pub stage :) So I'm open to any tips about how to travel for cheap (bus, train…) to other cities not far from NY (Boston, Philadelphia), or even LA, and how to find accomodations not costing an arm and a leg. In NY my GF (she'll be with me all the time) found some rooms to rent for 45 euros a night, that's my maximum budget…
Is there any notable event in September, like Amp Fest last year ?
Fremen

You probably won't get to LA on that budget as it's literally the other side if the country. Bus is the cheapest, but train isn't so bad, especially on the east coast.

If you make it way the hell over to north dakota, you can stay at my place for free!

Edit: I take that back. It'll cost you a bottle of Green Island rum!

Thanks Sidivan and OK for the Green Island :) I can bring some cans of Phoenix too, I always wanted to send one to Cliff and other guys like Scott, lol… Hey I have a friend from Mauritius in Fargo, that's the guy who bought the Axe II for me and sent it to Mauritius, Fargo is in North Dakota, right ?

I am 45 min south of Boston and 30 min close to Providence RI. NYC is about 3.5 hour train ride if you choose to do Boston. I have done Providence to NYC on the train many times for work in about 3 hours. I think the cost is around $100 on the Ascela train (faster trains) round trip per person?

Let me know if you guys get to Providence or Boston area.

Thanks Sidivan and OK for the Green Island :) I can bring some cans of Phoenix too, I always wanted to send one to Cliff and other guys like Scott, lol… Hey I have a friend from Mauritius in Fargo, that's the guy who bought the Axe II for me and sent it to Mauritius, Fargo is in North Dakota, right ?

No kidding? Is he a musician? Yeah, Fargo, ND is where I currently live. From nov '07 - apr 08, I actually lived in Mauritius. I. Loved. That. Place. Every inch is absolutely stunning... Especially if you stay away from the tourist areas. I had a blast going to the quatre borne market every week, gris gris, so awesome. I lived in Eben, Cyber Village.

I am born and raised in NYC, I am still here.
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions of need some showing around.
I will be happy to help or just say hey.
Chris

Fremen, I expect that you'll have a great time. Whenever I've visited The States I have been hosted in grand fashion. I was shocked how cheap Megabus from DC to Philly, both definitely worth the visit, and cities that I would love to revisit, or re-revisit in DC's case.

What the heck, Fractal Audio's home base is just 4 hours north... go give Cliff a Phoenix!

Hey guys, any tip on how to find affordable hotels/apartments in New York ? Me and my GF waited too much (I needed confirmation from my office first :/), prices are rising and the rooms are getting rare. I used that link but there may be another : Booking.com: Hotels in New York City. Book your hotel now!
Thanks for any help ! Btw, due to budget restrictions, I'll probably stay in NY, with possible visit to Boston but that's all…

Last edited:
Popular trip sites in the U.S. may help you. You can try orbitz.com, travelocity.com and priceline.com

Unfortunately, you are coming on summer and that's high demand.

Good luck.

In a former life I was a travel agent and let me tell ya, NYC is rough for cheap hotels. I would try Priceline.com and see what comes up. The thing about sites like that are that hotels generally operate on a minimum they have to charge to cover the cost of the room, so as they get close to the date, they panic and give pretty deep discounts.

if you come through Phoenix Az, I can find a couch in my my basement for you.

Hey guys, any tip on how to find affordable hotels/apartments in New York ? Me and my GF waited too much (I needed confirmation from my office first :/), prices are rising and the rooms are getting rare. I used that link but there may be another : Booking.com: Hotels in New York City. Book your hotel now!
Thanks for any help ! Btw, due to budget restrictions, I'll probably stay in NY, with possible visit to Boston but that's all…

Have you tried Air BnB? They usually have a very good selection of apartments in Manhattan. I've used them in the past for work trips and enjoyed the experience: http://www.airbnb.com

You probably won't make it out near San Francisco, but if you do, drop me a PM or an email.

If you get to NYC, I'd be happy to take you and your GF to dnner (we've got it all from Tunisian to Jamaican to Belorussian here...) , and give advice on cool stuff to do, sights to see. I was born and raised there, now live about 100 miles away, but still work there 3 days a week.

Back
Top Bottom