Solved: That's a bit...

wow, some hostility from a few of you out there for my first post! Matt from Tech Support did let me know the 10.7.4 requirement, I thought I had seen 10.6.4 as a minimum somewhere. I've been buying Mac's since they were little brown boxes. I have 3 now. I hate to upgrade system's if everything works, it's a pain in the ass when I find a bunch of other programs, drivers, etc that need replacing. When I spend $2200 on this thing it pisses me off when it doesn't work, that's all. I wanted simplicity, would rather use USB than another audio box and cables.

wow, some hostility from a few of you out there for my first post! Matt from Tech Support did let me know the 10.7.4 requirement, I thought I had seen 10.6.4 as a minimum somewhere. I've been buying Mac's since they were little brown boxes. I have 3 now. I hate to upgrade system's if everything works, it's a pain in the ass when I find a bunch of other programs, drivers, etc that need replacing. When I spend $2200 on this thing it pisses me off when it doesn't work, that's all. I wanted simplicity, would rather use USB than another audio box and cables.

Yeah lol, folks here are a lively bunch.

I think the hostility you may be sensing is due to the impression that you're disparaging the Axe as "not working" based on your (mistaken) expectations about the system requirements. The Axe itself works just fine; what you're hoping for is it to work with your specific (unsupported) system without having to invest any additional funds, which is understandable.

There shouldn't be too much of a compatibility issue with most apps jumping from 10.6.4 to 10.6.8, so again I'd give that a try first (at the least there were quite a few security updates in that release that are worth getting). Beyond that, however, the upgrade cost is going to depend on whether you have any PPC-only apps, since these won't work on post-10.6 systems (you can check this in System Profiler: select About This Mac > More Info... > System Report > Software > Applications; sort by the "Kind" column). If you have PPC-only apps, then yes, you'd need to update them when upgrading to 10.8 (I'd definitely skip 10.7).

Another thought: you may be able to run a small installation of 10.8 via virtualization software (e.g. VMWare Fusion or Parallels), and interface with the Axe through that. I've not tried that myself, so YMMV, but it might be worth looking into, as you could use that for software used for the Axe (or other software requiring 10.8 for that matter), and still use 10.6 for all your other stuff.

That's not all. That's everything. It's like buying a game for your Mac and not paying attention to the minimum system requirements but crying when the game doesn't run on your system.

It works perfectly within the given parameters which you are not in compliance with. Period.

What's amazing is that you are not willing to compromise for simplicity's sake. You want USB compatibility, but aren't willing to do what YOU can do to make it happen other than spend money and then complain that it doesn't work even though it really does for everyone else. Sorry man, but in this case, maybe, just maybe it's YOU.

Last edited:

People are very helpful here on the forum. I think some of them were just taken back a bit that you hadn't even asked for help, etc. and already talking about sending the unit back. No big deal man. You'll get this figured out and will be happy with the unit. Fractal has great customer support.

Jimfergie,

I, too, am still running 10.6.8 and all is fine on this MacBook. Just tossing that out, so it doesn't look like a sole one or two machines can work on that operating system. Good luck getting it all sorted. I understand your frustration, but hang in there.

Lee

Last edited:
Yeah, that was what my post was referring to, that the Minimum for the USB drive is 10.7.4.

I'm running 10.8.2 without any problems. Maybe try installing 10.8 on a new partition, with the newest driver, and see if your problems go away....?

Jim .... just let Software Update do it's thing and get up to 10.6.8 ..... there's every chance it will work because others are saying it's going ok for them with 10.6.8. There's probably a load of other fixes in the updates you haven't downloaded yet.

I upgraded my MBP from 10.6.8 to 10.8.3 (cheap but 4.4 GB App Store download!) .... it works ok but slower than 10.6.8 ... so now I need to upgrade (max out) the RAM too .... bah

He has clearly stated that he is unwillingly to do that.

No, he stated that he hated to upgrade his system if he felt everything was running properly.

As I stated, creating a fresh partition, installing on a fresh partition and new install of OS 10.8 does nothing to the original partition, but gives him the ability to test out the USB driver, AND his DAW software without altering his original partition and installs...

Kind of a rude reply for a "new guy"...

And people said I was unreasonable when I spent $30,000 on a diesel car and was pissed it didn't run on gasoline! Can you believe that? :)
Difference is there are field reports from multiple users saying 10.6.8 works fine (some in this thread and clarky reports all is good with his too) ..... it's free to update from 10.6.4 .... 10.6.8 won't break any apps that work with 10.6.4 as well ..... got to be worth a try no?

It's much more fun to put diesel in a gasoline engine btw .... loads of smoke ;)

Welcome to the world of computers. Engineers are constantly creating the newest things. Yes, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but by staying with old OS and software, it may be broken when used with newer tech, peripherals, etc.

What's happening here?

...nah, the good ol´ "newbie-whining-OP-gets-flamed-by-whining-senior-members-whining-about-the-whining-in-OP" thread... :roll
and now you came and brought it all up again... :?

:lol:lol:lol

@OP
I have no suggestion to you what to do in your specific case (got no MAC). But I suggest you to try narrow down the problem as far as possible in a straight forward way. Happen to have an PC? Or a friend that got one? So that you can try USB (drivers, connections etc) on that one? On your MAC: do you have a lot of peripheral USB units connected at the same time? Sharing the same USB hub (if you got one)?

You said you liked what you hear from the unit itself, so that´s a good start. No need to send the unit back only because of the USB, UNLESS it is really proven that this is the culprit and that it can´t be fixed. If you can verify that the USB on your Axe is fully functional, you´ve made good progress. You then take the next step in narrowing down the problem, is it just a OS upgrade that needs to be done? Is it something else? If upgrade gonna cost money, is it better to buy a small decent PC laptop?

For every step you are able to go to narrow down the problem you have, the closer the answer/solution you´ll get. Hopefully it won´t cost much.
Sometimes it is a whole lotta work for something that should function easily without issues, we all know that it is very frustrating "not knowing" what the problem is. Most of us have "been there, done that" too in one way or another. Either with computers, Axe, other stuff or combination of all. We are here and can give you help and suggestions, although you gotta take the steps yourself...

The sounds and the possibilities in that black box ARE worth fighting (some issues) for. As I said, I hope it won´t cost much time/money...
Good luck!!!

Welcome to the world of computers. Engineers are constantly creating the newest things. Yes, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but by staying with old OS and software, it may be broken when used with newer tech, peripherals, etc.

So true. I´ve got (IMHO) one of the best synths in the world for a total synth-newbie but sound-junkie (like me): Nord Modular G2 (Engine in my case).
A virtual modular synth. You can create drummachines, effects, synths, really wierd/cool/amazing stuff if you want to. Making connections without any issues that IRL would smoke components big time. Great for exploring/learning!

You can also use it live without a computer... BUT... and this is a big BUT: to be able to program/modify presets you need to do it via an editor running in a computer. Which is not as trivial as it may sound. This synth is discontinued since some years ago and drivers exists only for XP/Vista/Win7 (if using PC) as of today. So in a not to distant future it might be that a fully functional synth can´t be used anymore because the computers/OS/drivers needed no longer exists. Makes me really sad. Good tools shouldn´t end like that...

Difference is there are field reports from multiple users saying 10.6.8 works fine (some in this thread and clarky reports all is good with his too) ..... it's free to update from 10.6.4 .... 10.6.8 won't break any apps that work with 10.6.4 as well ..... got to be worth a try no?

It's much more fun to put diesel in a gasoline engine btw .... loads of smoke ;)

Absolutely worth the try as opposed to "back it goes". I find it kind of odd that keeping or sending back the Axe is dependent on using any particular laptop or desktop PC. But that's just me and I am an odd bird! :)

No, he stated that he hated to upgrade his system if he felt everything was running properly.

As I stated, creating a fresh partition, installing on a fresh partition and new install of OS 10.8 does nothing to the original partition, but gives him the ability to test out the USB driver, AND his DAW software without altering his original partition and installs...

Kind of a rude reply for a "new guy"...

LOL. I guess I can read between the lines when someone says he hates to do something and he is pissed because something HE needs to do will make the item he purchased work the way it's intended.

Kinda dense for a "veteran". No?

I speak my mind. What difference does it make whether I'm new here or not?????

Back
Top Bottom