How much of a sound difference will there be downgrading to Firmware 8.01?

LKnight4949

Inspired
So I really want to use Axe Edit and will give up the option to use scenes if I have to in order to do it. I have no use for them yet since I'm not playing any live gigs and don't have a way to switch them on the fly anyway.

Will there be much of a sound difference going back one version? Will my 9.02 presets be usable with 8.01?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

You would actually need to downgrade to v7 firmware if you want the most stability with Axe-Edit. Myself and others have had several issues with Axe-Edit and v8. You could manually recreate v9 presets in v7, but doing a direct transfer will yield an upset for you unfortunately. Sonically, and just imo, but there is a huge difference in sound. I went from v9 to v7 to use Axe-Edit, tried transferring presets with no joy or massive corruption and the tones (while still amazing) lost a lot that v9 tweaked and perfected in my opinion. Again, just my opinion.

Tl;dr: Yes, there is a difference. No, your presets won't be usable unless you recreate them block by block. Use v7 if you want Axe-Edit functionality.

I don't think AE worked with 8 either. I bought mine in Oct. with 8 loaded. AFAIK we were told not to use it with 8.

Axe-Edit will be out very soon, as will be V10. I would just stick it out.

What he said. I've been dying to try AE since I bought my unit in Oct. I reverted to V7 last week. Played with AE a little. The next day I reloaded V9. Figured hell with it, I'll wait.

If you are anyway curious about the sound of the prior modeling versions you can choose 8 and 7 in the global block without changing the firmware version.

Very good indeed ... if it's like TODAY soon, I'll be even happier as I'm expecting a snow day tomorrow and it'll give me plenty of time to fully dive into the awesomeness I'm sure v10 and the latest Axe-Edit will bring :D

Alright guys. You convinced me. And I've learned that when the man speaks, you gotta listen. :)

Haha. Almost as excited waiting for FW10 + AE as I was when waiting for the AFXII itself.

Slightly unrelated question but I won't open a new thread for it.

Will Firmware 8.0 presets work well enough with Firmware 9?

FW 9 came with new presets. How much that was changed i dont know.
Alot of fw8 presets from Axe-change works perfect with fw9, so give it a try.

For the most part, yes ... you may have to recall the amp model or an fx block, but they should translate just fine. Going down from a higher version firmware to a lower version one is usually where problems are

Back
Top Bottom