What version of 9.01 do you have?

First an foremost thank you for the regular updates. 9.01 came out right on the heals of 9.0. Very prompt.

With that said. I found it a bit of a let down to discover second hand that my version of 9.01 was already two versions of 9.01 old. Wait, what?

The link on the download page referenced version 9.01 with a release date of "Dec 8, 2012 - Axe-Fx II Firmware 9.01". Not a big deal. The site doesn't always reflect everything in realtime. Not a big deal. Just hover over the download link to reference what you are getting and all is well.

I had already updated my firmware a few days ago, but came across a video from Katsu Kuri Media on the firmware update today and decided to take a look. I noticed in his screen read "axefx2_9p01b.syx".

I thought for a moment wait a second. I went to the download page to find that the link for the zip read "axefx2_9p01.zip". I then when to my download folder to reference the file I did download and it read the same. Next I thought ahh just download it and see what's going on. I did, and the same file downloaded "axefx2_9p01(1).zip. Notice the (1). My system already thought I downloaded this file before, and I had because it was the same file name.

I unziped the file only to discover inside there was indeed the file "axefx2_9p01b.syx". After looking at the Read Me file. I see there was a 9p01a.syx as well. These were bug fixes just the same. But I don't recall this being called out anywhere and had I not seen Chris's video. I wouldn't have given it any thought and lived with the bugs until the next release potentially.

Although the bug fixes were minimal this time. The zip file should have still reflected the new contents.

I'm just saying..

9.01b
Fixed incorrect transformer match value in Wrecker 1 model.
9.01a
Fixed GUI not being updated properly in Control menu under certain circumstances.

what's the difference between the 2?

I tried both firmwares so I can tell you from my sad experience. I'm still shaken up to be quite honest. So you know the b version fixes many bugs, one of them drastic, all of them thankfully were caught at the last minute so that the b users don't need to experience the consequences (The worst, most frightening of these bugs changes the Poltergeist Pig preset so if you play the note Bb on the 6th string it sounds EERILY like John Lithgow saying, "Laugh while you can Monkey-Boy").

Totally outrageous. Unconscionable.

Cold water applied.

Listen: This obsession with 'newest and bestest' is a little out of control. Most of us are basement/small studio/casual players. The RESPONSIBLE thing for those who truly rely on this box is to wait for a few months, and wait for the kinks to be worked out. You GET WHAT YOU DESERVE if you update firmware, and stroll out on a stage with your livelyhood at stake based off of unproven materiel. (This is not a slam at Fractal or the beta testers, but with the amount of variation that users employ here, it's nearly impossible to get to every permutation of it's use.)

And, based off the changes, I doubt anyone outside of *MAYBE* one or two people would have noticed the bias issue, and GUI not being updated somewhat more impactful, but if you've updated your "My rent depends on this box" machine on brand spankin' new FW, then re-read the previous paragraph.

I have to go, my mom upstairs is making me a snack.

R

Totally outrageous. Unconscionable.

Cold water applied.

Listen: This obsession with 'newest and bestest' is a little out of control. Most of us are basement/small studio/casual players. The RESPONSIBLE thing for those who truly rely on this box is to wait for a few months, and wait for the kinks to be worked out. You GET WHAT YOU DESERVE if you update firmware, and stroll out on a stage with your livelyhood at stake based off of unproven materiel. (This is not a slam at Fractal or the beta testers, but with the amount of variation that users employ here, it's nearly impossible to get to every permutation of it's use.)

And, based off the changes, I doubt anyone outside of *MAYBE* one or two people would have noticed the bias issue, and GUI not being updated somewhat more impactful, but if you've updated your "My rent depends on this box" machine on brand spankin' new FW, then re-read the previous paragraph.

I have to go, my mom upstairs is making me a snack.

R

Yep. I'm almost always a version behind. Got an mfc a week ago and haven't set it up yet. I plan on doing that during christmas break as I'll have a week off from gigging. Then it's busy busy until about april.

Adhering to x.x.x version numbering and having a clear version history on the website (rather than just in the firmware zip file) would make these kinds of threads unnecessary.

In short: first number for major version (for example improvements to modeling, big new feature etc), second for changes larger than bug fixes (new amp models for example) and third for bug fixes. So the current would be 9.0.3 despite having very minor fixes.

Back
Top Bottom