AFX II Leslie simulation

Yup, this one works.

I like it, it does add an authentic vibe.
It's really really dark though.

Using it with my "Hammond" preset. There's a cab at the end of the grid where I put the IR in. Mono HiRes. That's after the Amp and Rotary blocks.
Going into studio monitors.

It's of no use for my Out2 signal, going to my real guitar cab. Adding a Cab to that doesn't work out well.

I found that using the Transformer match, dropped a good bit, and adjusting the MV down as well, really brings it back to life. (Thanks Cliff)
There is air incorporated in the actual spatial Leslie listening experience that an IR cannot fully comprehend IMO. An eq can add back some brilliance as well.

RE Comb filtering.... That is a good way of describing what is happening with a Leslie. Maybe a good thing? Maybe something to work out?? Remember I had to use a stereo pair and a room mic to capture the whole rotation of the leslie then summed to mono and out to AXE-FX II. I even thought of adding a 3rd SM-57 up on the top port (which I can do for V1.1 of the IR) as there are actually 3 ports of which I went for the spread on this first version hitting the outer two as a stereo image (summed momo). I tell you that trying it "parked" kind of sucked though. perhaps it might cancel out a bit of the filtering, but in A/Bing, I can get it pretty close using the Shiver Clean and eq'ing to tase. The only thing I can't quite get is that spatial goodness of the sound bouncing from constantly changing reflection point. We need a semi-metamorphic reverb IR loop if it is even remotely possible?? <-- FAS??? (That would be really awesome and the deal clencher if you truly want to nail a leslie to the T).

Dark - We are dealing with exclusively reflected, moving, scooped stream of soundways. (in a verbatim sense as the rotor scoops and throws the sound waves out the next available port in the cabinet) A Leslie will be darker as the reflections take the edge off the notes. This is authentic for sure. PEQ - EQ you may brighten it up some, but leave it a bit on the dark/warm side for realism.

Last edited:
are you going cab to rotary to cab?
This is a great point as it kind of plays a reverse role in this case. The rotary effect is taking place just before this IR. This should mean that for a truly accurate reproduction, the rotary should be the very first block just before the Leslie IR.
You must be a rocket scientist... In habit, the thought did not even cross my mind. Good call.

IMHO, if ever "in the room" tone was critical, it is with a Leslie. I don't think even a few strategically placed mics really capture the live sound of a Leslie. Perhaps we need some good far-field mics instead? I normally don't like the phrase "in the room" because I think most times people are talking about the sound we hear rather than anything specifically to do with room reflections, but in the case of a Leslie, I suspect room reflections have a lot to do with the sound we hear.

And despite all that, I must say I was surprised with the sound of the rotating speaker box. I think the effect itself is more critical to me than the IR shape of any particular Leslie cab. If anything, a Leslie effect on a real cab sounds better to me than some of the weedy Leslie sims I've heard.

IMPROVED LESLIE IR's

UPDATE on the CORDOVOX LESLIE IR
I have recreated the IR utilizing (4) Microphones this time and having brought the mics further away to allow more capture of air. I also pulled the Room condenser further. Result - much fuller and brighter than the first attempt. Totally different sounding IR. (not bright, just a lot brighter than last attempt)
Cordovox CL-30 / AKA Fender Vibratone.
(3) x Shure SM-57 (1) Left, held 6" away from side port, (1) Right, held 6" away from side port, (1) Top, held 6" above top port.
(1) x RODE NT-1000 Large Diaphragm Condenser

The power of microphone placement and a little going outside the box goes an amazingly long way. This is day and night.

Attachments

• Cordovox 4 Mic.jpg
    Cordovox 4 Mic.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Cordovox 4.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Since we've gone down a rathole anyway:

The lead singer of my band in the late '60's played keys and had a Leslie that he had chopped up so that the horn was exposed. Considering the times, many of our audiences were appropriately stoned, so when the horn started spinning it always produced a chorus of "ooooooh"'s and "far out"'s.

Photos or it didn't happen (I'm in the bright shirt)--

993a5045.jpg

Danny W.

That's a cool photo. I like the juxtaposition with the organ pipes in the background!

hmm. the leslie is one of my fav effects in the axe! Looking forward to hearing the new version and your guys settings / ir tomorrow night.

UPDATE on the CORDOVOX LESLIE IR
I have recreated the IR utilizing (4) Microphones this time and having brought the mics further away to allow more capture of air. I also pulled the Room condenser further. Result - much fuller and brighter than the first attempt. Totally different sounding IR. (not bright, just a lot brighter than last attempt)
Cordovox CL-30 / AKA Fender Vibratone.
(3) x Shure SM-57 (1) Left, held 6" away from side port, (1) Right, held 6" away from side port, (1) Top, held 6" above top port.
(1) x RODE NT-1000 Large Diaphragm Condenser

The power of microphone placement and a little going outside the box goes an amazingly long way. This is day and night.

Excellent! Much better and very usable. Works great with my organ preset, but also with guitar.

I don't know how to say this without getting flamed. I think everyone here knows I'm a die hard Axe man. So I'll just go ahead and say it as a hope for improvement.

I spent three days this past week with my good friend's Strymon Lex in my Axe's loop doing extensive A/B testing. Between it and the Rotary in the II, there is honestly very little comparison. The Lex is just better. Of course, it does only the one. But man does it do it.

I'm hoping FAS continues to devote some time to upping the algorithms for what, at least for my use, is one of the most important blocks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom