Who here got rid of ALL of their pedals for Axe-Fx?

i sold almost 20 pedals (mostly od and distortion), rocktron intellifex, lexicon mpx g2, marshall 1986 head, egnater rebel 30 head and my mesa 50/50 (plus marshall 2x12 cab);
going straight into the PA with the axe FX and for clean, crunch and lead tones there's nothing that i regret.
i'm still struggling with SRV-ish tones, but it's just me, with time i will settle that.
i might buy an amp just for catastrophic scenarios, but 90% it won't be a tube amp (too expensive, too fragile, too much maintenance): maybe an old HK tera amp, or a fender mustang.
I DON'T MISS TUBE AMPS :D

I used to have a modest number of pedals but sold everything when I moved to LA.

The only thing that I don't think I can duplicate with the AxeII, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, is the Zvex FuzzProbe that provided me with many hours of entertainment at the expense of my (now EX) girlfriends sanity.

Last edited:
Took a leap of faith and dumped them all to get the Axe Ultra a couple of years back, but kept hold of my Whammy WH1 and Wah (just in case).... they both got sold a couple of months later!

Sell all those little friends that defined an era in your life? ... Heartless .... you'll burn in hell :)

I've only had one floor pedal for years .... a crybaby. It's so beat up now it's unsellable anyway

Ive get rid HDPro,eventide timefactor, pitchFactor,space, AdrenalinnIII, SD-1 and my axefxII havent arrive yet ... :roll
This waiting is very painful

I used to buy and sell about 5-15 pedals per month. It was driving me insane. Way too ADD. The Axe finally got me where I wanted to be tone-wise, not to mention the convenience of not having to wire up power, patch cables, and all that mess for every single pedal. Now instead of freaking out about how a part of my tone isn't perfect and going on a selling/buying spree to try new gear, I just relax and sit down with the Axe & Axe-Edit.

The only piece of gear I regret selling during my switch to the Axe is the Boomerang III.

I still have the few stompboxes that I used to own and several home made ones from before I got my Ultra. They got no love for a while and I was thinking of selling them when I upgraded to the Axe FX II and sold the Ultra.

I was VERY glad I didn't get rid of them when the first TWO Axe II units I had turned out to be faulty and I ended up needing to use pedals and an amp again for 6 weeks while waiting for a third one. Just bad luck, but those pedals saved my ass.

I'll hope I never need to use them again, but I won't be selling them. :)

I had an extensive rack + pedals that all went when I got my Axe-Fx Ultra. This included my beloved Bogner Uberschall and Mesa Mark V, a T.C. Electronics G-System, RJM RG-16 switching unit, a bunch of great overdrive pedals, and a pair of really nice speaker cabinets. When I got the Axe-FX II, the few pedals I still had lying around went also.

I really haven't looked back. The Axe-Fx has been the #1 best piece of gear I've ever had as a guitarist.

Here's a reason why I'm thinking of getting rid of ALL of my pedals to purchase Axe-Fx II:
1) Money;
2) No Dependency (crutch) on pedals;
3) Commitment to learning Axe-Fx II;
4) Commitment to simplicity with gear; and
5) Other reasons.

So, who here exclusively uses Axe-Fx, and got rid of all pedals? This is my current pedal board I'm willing to part with. Or, should I hold on to them?

PB-2012.jpg

That's QUITE the pedalboard, dude!

I've not had any stomp-boxes for a long, long time. What I did have was a rack (sometime two!) of gear, some of which was:
Sansamp PSA-1
Lexicon PCM-42
Lexicon PCM-70
TC Electronics D-Two
Eventide H-3000
various other goodies.

I can honestly say this: 1) My current rack is an Ultra and the PCM-70. The '70 is still in there because of ONE patch it does that I can't replicate, a patch that is INTEGRAL to my sound. It's a 'stock' patch called 'Psycho Echoes' and it's a swirly, flanged 8 or 10 tap delay sound. Can't live without it, haven't been able to replicate it. 2) That said, I am thinking of putting my D-Two BACK into my rack because of the 'spillover problem'. So far I've lived with it, worked around it, but it continues to limit and friggin' annoy me. 3) I was also close to buying a dedicated looper because the looper functions are pretty scanty, but FW 6.0 sounds like it'll solve that issue. 4) Oh, I still use a Duncan volume/wah on the floor. It is conceivable that when I find the time to get expression pedals working (thank you Liquid Foot for allowing me FOUR on my LF 12+), I may bag that: it's be very cool to have an array of wah sounds available at my feet.

Hope that helps.

Took a leap of faith and dumped them all to get the Axe Ultra a couple of years back, but kept hold of my Whammy WH1 and Wah (just in case).... they both got sold a couple of months later!

I have successfully sold off all my pedals except for my Wahs.. For some reason, just can seem to get a good wah sound out of the Axe Ultra.. Sounds like other have.. any suggestions welcome

I had a Mesa Boogie MkV, Genz Benz 2x12, TC 2290, Dunlop 1st gen. rack wah, and various pedals. The amp, cab, TC and the rack wah are gone and I'm slowly selling off the rest of my pedals. Good riddance....I don't care if the Axe isn't 100% precise in terms of emulating the different amps and effects, it does the job for me so well, I don't need anything else and keeping everything I have/had doesn't make any sense to me.

Cheers for Cliff and the Fractal team.

I have kept my T Rex Michael Angelo distortion pedal, my Fulltone Clyde wah and my Boss OC-2 and will forever. Occasions pop up where you go to a jam and are not able to setup your entire FRFR Axe Fx II rig, you know there will be a Twin Reverb or a Marshall stack to use and you need a few pedals to suit yourself.

They fit in a show box, so it's not a burden.

Still buy/sell stuff - I got all that stuff because I wanted to try it, liked or didn't like, like how it looks and sounds, kept or sold - will continue to do so. When the Axe can do everything that exists in the world..... True, the Axe is easier to carry and set up, but given no real financial squeeze, enough time and energy, and the ability to carry a head/cab/rack/pedal instead of a small rack/pedal - I still like to mix it up. Five minute setup or 20 minute setup - I can drink a beer 15 minutes later, or while I'm setting up - only in a hurry when in a 10-band free for all a t a local bar. Axe II - awesome, with more to come. Mark V, Axe II as fx in small rack (or one of those "other" fx units), with pedal board, cab - mmmmm, awesome as well. When FAS comes out with the nano-version (total 800 watt package with Axe-Fx IV, all the size of a pack of cigarettes that you control with your thoughts), then EVERYTHING goes! In the meantime, anyone want to buy or trade for a.........

My thirty year run of buying amps, and god knows how many pedals has finally come to an end after buying the Axe II. Like everyone has said with time it can replace everything well enough to just go with the Axe and your method of getting the sound out, power amp cab, FRFR, or PA. BEST SOUNDS I HAVE EVER HAD PERIOD!

Haven't sold them all but don't use them. Still keep this half of my pedalboard for the GR-55 , wireless and drop tune. Hoping I ca make better use of the looper in 6.0

Attachments

• Rig 2.jpg
    Rig 2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 24
I never used many stomp boxes myself. Had some basics such as distortion, chorus, delay but once I bought a Mesa MkIII and Alesis MidiVerb back in the 80's the only thing in my signal before the amp was a volume and crybaby. Still using those with the Axe but only until I replace them with expression pedals. Well, maybe not the crybaby 8) The one thing I wish I had hung on to was the Golden Throat Deluxe I had way back.

I never had any stompboxes in the first place. I never liked the idea of them, when for the price of 4 of them, you could buy a multi-fx unit that did all that and more. Plus those ridiculous 20-pedal floorboards were just too complicated compared to a Digitech controller et al. Looks like an eye sore. This was my opinion back in 1990, when I started playing. And it still is. I had an old Yamaha GX-500 back then. Then a Sans Amp, then TC Electronics, then a Vetta. I sold 8 spaces of my 10-space rack to buy the Vetta, then eventually got the Fractal. So...nope I didn't sell my zero pedals to get the Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom