USB cable in the MCF-101 port...again

cookie3079

Hey all,
Nice to be finally part of the AXE family but it's been a bumpy ride so far unfortunately. As mentioned in the title, i've stupidly managed to place the USB cable from my computer into the MCF-101 port of my AXE 2. The cable was connected only for about 5 seconds, but it was long enough for the unit to crap itself and start smoking. I'm assuming that the port is fried at the very least, and i'm not sure bout the motherboard. So in all, within 4 hours of owning the unit, i've managed to turn it into a $2700 trout smoker and i'm close to putting my head through the wall. I know a few people have done a similar thing so i'm not totally alone in my stupidity. From my understanding, a new replacement motherboard is likely to be around $1600 from what i've read online? cheers

I am sorry to hear this man. Ain't going to preech. Best wishes. Keep cool. If you have an iPad, try playing "WORD ABACUS" it's free, and just get lost in it to divert your mind in a positive way.
Cheers (as I sip my Gran Marnier late Friday nite)

Sorry to hear about that, hopefully you can get it repaired for much less. After reading about the first poster who did such, I am much more aware/careful now.

Damn, I would cry if that happend to me. Stay positive dude and try getting it repaired at fractal. Crossing my fingers!

Probably just by trying to plug in the cable while not being able to see the back of the unit.

it happens.....wasn't the first, and I doubt it would be the last. Always sad to hear tho :(

Now the regulars on the forum will read this and learn from the unfortunate experience of others, but what about the new axe users? Maybe FAS should include a rubber protector on new units? Ultimately the end user is clearly responsible for th error, but perhaps a rubber protector would reduce the risk?

Hmm, might get an Ethernet plug with no cable attached and keep that plugged in to avoid this ever happening...

dummy jack sounds like the best thing, excellent idea!

FRACTAL, Cliff / Matt,

This has now become a fully known potential user error, yielding tragic results every time. Typically for new users, leaving them bummed and you doing a repair every time. Bummer = Bummer situation here. This is an "Attractive Nuisance" so to speak. It is bound to keep happening and invites the occurrence due to similarity issues of these input jacks.
IMHO, and as a positive suggestion, I think it is time to responsibly ship all new units with a dummy plug installed. Raise the price three bucks if needed. But let's take care of this known, re-occurring problem once and for all, and help out our new users to avoid this bummer of an introductory experience with their Fractal Instrument! . If a guy pops out the dummy jack, then he owns it and the repair is at cost. Put a note attached to the dummy plug on a small piece of red paper. "Idiot Proof" this.
Just a humble suggestion for the equal good of all involved.
Peace!

EDIT: -> Oh yeah, You could also ship with a twin pack of Pop-Tarts in every box!:mrgreen

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Thanks for the tip fellas, it sounds like a dummy plug is the way to go for when the unit comes back. fingers crossed it's not a huge repair and it all works out ok.

I put one in the axe just a few minutes ago ;)

a dummy jack, not a usb cable :p

OR a pop tart :p

See? some people DO learn!

I put one in the axe just a few minutes ago ;)

a dummy jack, not a usb cable :p

OR a pop tart :p

See? some people DO learn!

Haha yeah looking back i would of been better off jamming a pop tart in the port instead :?

Last edited:
:lol

the dummy jack is actually a pretty good idea.....the more I think about it, is the more I like it. I used a chopped off piece of an old cat5 cable, and stuck it in the back, but a new ethernet jack is crazy cheap, looks good and you can always buy a couple and just make an ethernet cable when you need to. Brilliant idea! ;)

Last edited:
Man, I'm sorry to hear about this but I don't understand two things.

1. why is the usb cable anywhere near the mfc?
2. how does the usb cable being plugged into the ethernet plug connect to anything that can cause damage? does the plug short the pins on the ethernet connection or something or is the power coming from usb?

I must be missing something,

thx and good luck on the repair.

EDIT: Ok, i re-read the thread and answered #1. Still curious about #2. Sorry for your bummer, dude.

Last edited:
1. why is the usb cable anywhere near the mfc?
Probably because the digital I/O circuitry is clusted in one section of the motherboard.

2. how does the usb cable being plugged into the ethernet plug connect to anything that can cause damage?
An RJ-45 jack has a row of flexible wire "pins." The USB plug is surrounded by metal. When you insert it into the RJ-45 jack, all that metal contacts many of those wires and shorts them all together.

Probably just by trying to plug in the cable while not being able to see the back of the unit.

Yes, I have done this as well because I couldn't see the back and was trying to do it by "feel".

FRACTAL, Cliff / Matt,

This has now become a fully known potential user error, yielding tragic results every time. Typically for new users, leaving them bummed and you doing a repair every time. Bummer = Bummer situation here. This is an "Attractive Nuisance" so to speak. It is bound to keep happening and invites the occurrence due to similarity issues of these input jacks.
IMHO, and as a positive suggestion, I think it is time to responsibly ship all new units with a dummy plug installed. Raise the price three bucks if needed. But let's take care of this known, re-occurring problem once and for all, and help out our new users to avoid this bummer of an introductory experience with their Fractal Instrument! . If a guy pops out the dummy jack, then he owns it and the repair is at cost. Put a note attached to the dummy plug on a small piece of red paper. "Idiot Proof" this.
Just a humble suggestion for the equal good of all involved.
Peace!

I got lucky. When I did this my Axe turned off and I quickly unplugged it when I heard the fan spinning down. I guess that the loud fan saved my butt this time. I was pretty nervous, but after testing my MFC and Axe, it seems that I didn't do any lasting damage. So I guess this doesn't always result in tragedy every time, but I can say that I really don't want to ever do that again!

Good idea about the dummy plug! Something like that could really help prevent this error.

Back
Top Bottom