Another FW 6.0 Tonematching Preview

If I heard it in the bar, I would think it was a pretty good representation.
This, IMO, is the whole point. If you heard it in a cover tune, without the original source immediately available to compare it to, it would pass for spot-on.

This is my Limelight attempt. It wasn't worth the effort. It's an A/B of the album and my latest patch.

Next time I'll wait for 6.00

http://www.rockrollband.com/IGiveUp.mp3

Enjoy (or not!)

It starts with the original album then repeats with the patch.

Thanks.

It was close man so good job but you're right there just won't be a need for spending all kinds of time for those of us attempting to approximate iconic tones like this one. For coming up with cool and unique tones we still have the ability to tweak away so best of both worlds for all of us ax2 owners!

It's just my opinion. Nothing more.

I want to add that I've tried various eq match programs on the intro to Limelight, and none of them produced great results. I'm not saying anything at all about the new feature based on this clip. I've heard the other examples of the new matching feature that sound spot on. All I'm saying is that this clip does not sound like the original recording and is in line with results I've come to expect when using similar products. IMO, tone matching software across the board does a poor job with this tone. As for the reasons why, I have no idea.

Gimmee a break here - the original track has some very obvious doubling or stereophonic enhancement for added depth. If you can't hear that distinction immediately, you probably shouldn't bother making tonal comparisons because they will never be accurate...

Gimmee a break here - the original track has some very obvious doubling or stereophonic enhancement for added depth. If you can't hear that distinction immediately, you probably shouldn't bother making tonal comparisons because they will never be accurate...

SteadyState said NOTHING about the tone lacking the doubling and stereophonic effects. When he refers to "tone" he's referring to the stripped down tone - the distortion and the EQ, not the absence of chorus, reverb and stereophonic processing.

Check out this guy's sound clips of Hearbreaker and Eruption leads, both created from scratch - no EQ matching used, and then go back and tell him what he can and can't hear.

Limelight has an unusual distortion and an unusual EQ, and if you can't hear THAT then YOU shouldn't bother making tonal comparisons because they will never be accurate.

Last edited:
SteadyState said NOTHING about the tone lacking the doubling and stereophonic effects. When he refers to "tone" he's referring to the stripped down tone - the distortion and the EQ, not the absence of chorus, reverb and stereophonic processing.

Check out this guy's sound clips of Hearbreaker and Eruption leads, both created from scratch - no EQ matching used, and then go back and tell him what he can and can't hear.

Limelight has an unusual distortion and an unusual EQ, and if you can't hear THAT then YOU shouldn't bother making tonal comparisons because they will never be accurate.

Yeah, way to school Radley on this hearing stuff :roll ... You do know that Radley is a bona fide studio guitarist, right? Show at least some humility...

Yeah, way to school Radley on this hearing stuff :roll ... You do know that Radley is a bona fide studio guitarist, right? Show at least some humility...

+1

Yeah, next time maybe do a little research before planting your foot squarely in your mouth...try searching "Hadley Hockensmith" in Google.

+1

Yeah, next time maybe do a little research before planting your foot squarely in your mouth...try searching "Hadley Hockensmith" in Google.

Eh. So he's played with Ray Charles, Michael McDonald, America, Jeff Beck, Glen Campbell, David Gates & Bread, the Righteous Brothers, Billy Preston, Johnny Rivers, Michael Omartian, Gordon Lightfoot, Maria Muldaur, Richie Furay, Conway Twitty, Larry Carlton, Andrae Crouch, Keith Green, Phil Keaggy, Koinonia. And tours with Neil Diamond. All washed up hacks ;). And his insights on guitar tone are always mediocre at best. Since tone and art are subjective, I am the king of my little tone world.

All of this forthcoming tech is amazing...it sounds like the matching tech may be more about 'setting the dials' to match a tone with a smaller IR/EQ/MatchEQ/static component to get a starting point for a copy. If that's the case that's really cool...it's going to feel dynamic, etc. and not like a profile of static control positions. It's fun to speculate lol.

Last edited:
The whole pissing match vs. "The tone is exact"... "no it's not" is quite ridiculous. Is it very very close? IMO, yes. Is it a perfect sonic match? IMO, No. Who the f*ck cares!!???!! Even the artists themselves could probably not exactly replicate that tone in a studio today... and not even close when playing live. All these artist sound different live vs. their original recording. That original recording was just a moment captured in time. Unless you go back to that very day, with that very amp, studio processing preamps, recording medium, even the tube life of those exact tubes on that exact day, you won't match it EXACTLY. Talk about splitting hairs....

All in all I'm enjoying the banter... and Search4Tone, that Limelight clip is pretty damn, damn close!!

What I like about this new feature, is it can very quickly get you right in the ballpark of a certain tone. It would take me at least 30 mins of messing with settings to get at least close.. this will just drastically reduce that time spent = more time for playing!!

This is unbelievable. I have to add............what else can you buy out there that continues to upgrade in insane ways at no extra charge........NOTHING!

He he......I don't have a handle on this thing yet but I'm totally in love :)

Thanks for the clip Matt. Nice playing btw.

Is it very very close? IMO, yes. Is it a perfect sonic match? IMO, No. Who the f*ck cares!!???!! Even the artists themselves could probably not exactly replicate that tone in a studio today... and not even close when playing live.QUOTE]

The live clips I've heard of Rush are...impressive. They could do it. While I'm no expert here, I usually know when someone is 'covering' something, and this sounded above that. Some people are, erm, anal, I guess....

Back
Top Bottom