Black Crowes, Slash, and Joe Satriani in a blender (but less bloody)

AdamCook

Power User
My goal on this tune was to get some great straightforward classic hard rock guitar sounds and write a simple tune around it and only use 3 guitar tracks. I think it kind of came out sounding like a mish-mash of the Black Crowes, Slash, and Joe Satriani.

If anybody wants any of the patches let me know. I could also do a Scott Peterson style video of how I build my presets if there's interest. Or if you think it sounds like a POD 1.0 into a Pignose into a Boss Metal Zone... I won't be offended.

listening to this track the thing that jumps out at me is the drums
the tune is good and all , and the patches sound good as usual from you, but those drums.
if I could program drums and make them sound human, I'd be recording original material non stop
Incredibly frustrating.
sure post a video, your patches are consistantly very good, let's see the process.
oh and pod into a pignose into a metal zone would be good for Cannibal Corpse :lol

Yes to all the above!

Except that thing about POD into ... etc.
And except that I prefer this to Joe Satriani's work.

So good to hear that Fractal is a musician's company.

Edit: I actually like the drums. Sound and programming.

Dig it. Really dig it.

And make the video - the more of them out there that show folks 'getting' their thing with this box the better. Video is the new post anymore. :D

listening to this track the thing that jumps out at me is the drums
the tune is good and all , and the patches sound good as usual from you, but those drums.
if I could program drums and make them sound human, I'd be recording original material non stop
Incredibly frustrating.
sure post a video, your patches are consistantly very good, let's see the process.
oh and pod into a pignose into a metal zone would be good for Cannibal Corpse :lol

Just curious what stands out to you as non-human sounding about the drums?

Ironically, I actually went against the grain and used MIDI loops to construct much of this drum track. I usually just point and click to compose my drums but I thought using a loop played by a real drummer would make it sound more natural. I also used a lot more "room" sound as opposed to the very close mic'd "clicky" sounding drums that are all the rage. I guess it didn't work for you :).

Thanks for listening though.

I could only listen on a cheap headset at work right now... but sounded really cool. The overall mix was really good. The guitars sit with the drums and bass really well. Wouldn't mind a little info on your mix too.

Patches + vid would rock!

Richard

Good stuff all around. The guitars sound amazing, the drums kill, and the bass fits perfectly in the mix. Put some vocals over top and you've got yourself a hit song.

Was the bass also through the Axe II? You got killer punch and crack out of the drums...were they Steven Slate? Played, grooves, or programmed?

Ironically, I actually went against the grain and used MIDI loops to construct much of this drum track. I usually just point and click to compose my drums but I thought using a loop played by a real drummer would make it sound more natural. I also used a lot more "room" sound as opposed to the very close mic'd "clicky" sounding drums that are all the rage. I guess it didn't work for you :).

I would think he was saying your drum track sounded human but his don't? Drums rocked to me. Guitars too.

Richard

I actually got the impression that he really liked the drums. Thought he meant his drum sounds are less than human sounding...but yours sound great.

EDIT: damn, I type too slow. Someone already beat me to the punch.

Adam, it sounds great! I really like the groove. I would be interested in how you create patches as well, a video would be nice.
As far as sounding like a POD, well, I don't have one to compare it to but I've added your song to my ipod! (I really like it.)

I actually got the impression that he really liked the drums. Thought he meant his drum sounds are less than human sounding...but yours sound great.

EDIT: damn, I type too slow. Someone already beat me to the punch.

Okay, well if that's the case...thanks a bunch! :)

The positive reception to this is very encouraging. I'll definitely try to do that video this weekend. Got too much programming and a gig to do during the week...

No tone matching or any other fancy tricks were used to create these tones. My patch creation process is actually quite straightforward and something I'd like to convey in the video tutorial would be how simple it is to dial in great tones with Axe-FX II. It is not just a box for tweakers as most of us are well aware.

That's great stuff and the description was right on the money IMO! Video would be fantastic too!!! I really like to see how others approach patch building.

Okay, well if that's the case...thanks a bunch! :)

The positive reception to this is very encouraging. I'll definitely try to do that video this weekend. Got too much programming and a gig to do during the week...

No tone matching or any other fancy tricks were used to create these tones. My patch creation process is actually quite straightforward and something I'd like to convey in the video tutorial would be how simple it is to dial in great tones with Axe-FX II. It is not just a box for tweakers as most of us are well aware.

I'm espec. interested in the preset + video because - IIRC - you use a mixture of a traditional cab and FR.

I'm espec. interested in the preset + video because - IIRC - you use a mixture of a traditional cab and FR.

I do use a mixture of traditional cab and FR when I play live just because I'm used to the punch I get having my 2x12 guitar cab blaring behind me.

But for recording everything is direct. I'm waaaaay too lazy to properly mic up a cab every time I sit down to record. And I don't hear a difference in quality anyway when going direct so why bother :).

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom