Version 5 mini review

I've never had a better experience with the 'feel' of playing the Axe-FX, ever. It makes FRFR 'feel' absolutely dynamic and the entire experience of running FRFR feels better than at any point before; and that's relative to the fact *IMHO* that's it has felt very responsive in the past.
Thanks Scott for your contribution.
As you might remember, we had discussed about the RCFs you're currently using and I had come to the conclusion that they represent a good compromise between punch and fidelity to justify using them as the only cabs system for the Axe.
Since a couple of good, expensive FRFR monitors sounds different from the RCFs, I wonder if you perceive that 5.0 has changed the relative difference between these two ways of giving voice to the Axe. Does it make real monitors more worth it (i.e., RCFs a less good compromise?)? I'm still intrigued by the RCF solution.
Sorry if this sounds involute, hope to have been clear enough.

Hands up all of the Std/Ultra users who can't help peeking in these threads and then wish that they hadn't.

:cry

How about a show of hands for those Std/Ultra users who decided to upgrade after hearing the v5 demo clips Cliff posted? Count me as one. :)

Thanks Scott for your contribution.
As you might remember, we had discussed about the RCFs you're currently using and I had come to the conclusion that they represent a good compromise between punch and fidelity to justify using them as the only cabs system for the Axe.
Since a couple of good, expensive FRFR monitors sounds different from the RCFs, I wonder if you perceive that 5.0 has changed the relative difference between these two ways of giving voice to the Axe. Does it make real monitors more worth it (i.e., RCFs a less good compromise?)? I'm still intrigued by the RCF solution.
Sorry if this sounds involute, hope to have been clear enough.

It also sounds and feels as good with my modest Mackie 624 NF monitors/JBL 2310SP Sub. This is a remarkable achievement.

Does it affect the driven PAs only, or does it changes the way the clean amps react as well?

All amps. It's in essence, in Cliff's words, all about dynamics. This firmware will reset the bar.

All IMHO, YMMV.

It also sounds and feels as good with my modest Mackie 624 NF monitors/JBL 2310SP Sub. This is a remarkable achievement.

All amps. It's in essence, in Cliff's words, all about dynamics. This firmware will reset the bar.

All IMHO, YMMV.

You know Scott, even though you put, "All IMHO & YMMV", as a disclaimer at the end of all of your posts, it doesn't help the anxiety separation! ;)

Very exciting and positive news. Seems to me that it is a good time for an upgrade. I can't wait to get the Axe FxII. Cliff and the team really know how to set the bar. I still have my ultra and was so impressed with Firmware 11,when the news of the II being released came out I was like.... WOW just when you thought this was the holy grail of tone something new comes up. And now with the II we have Version 5,which sounds so promising. The Fractal Audio Systems team really know how to set a bar. I think I'll be a happy ultra user that upgraded to become Happy multiplied by infinity :D!

AWESOME!!! Can't wait!

Sorry Scott, I phrased it bad. I was just wandering whether the Speaker Motor Drive affected the way an amp saturates or its clean (linear) working range as well.

It occurs after the amp so it doesn't affect the way the amp saturates, but it will affect the way the cab block will sound. It is dependent on the motor drive level and the signal level of the input into the cab block I believe. It simulates the effect of what happen when you send high power levels to the speakers (clean or saturated).

Last edited:
It occurs after the amp so it doesn't affect the way the amp saturates, but it will affect the way the cab block will sound. It is dependent on the motor drive level and the signal level of the input into the cab block I believe. It simulates the effect of what happen when you send high power levels to the speakers (clean or saturated).

Interesting stuff, so is that the db input into the cab block or the master volume on the amp block that it is related to?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Another dimension has been added. I am jacked in and jacked up on Fw 5!

JackingIn.jpg

You know, I don't find the updates that challenging to redial as far as tone. I dial most of my amps (including the real ones back in the day) with a similar formula...bass somewhere 5 or less, mids 5-7, treble 5-8. There are some variances, but 90% of my amps sims are set this way. When I get a new FW load, I just reset. The only advanced parameters I've been tweaking have been Scott's suggestion of 1.25 value on speaker drive. I also play with the pre/power amp tube hardness and move it up on the JCM800 to get a different response out of that amp.

Scott, with this new motor parameter, I assume there is a default value that's set pretty nicely? Are you customizing by ear as to what you like or are you leaving it standard on most?

Back
Top Bottom