FCB1010 and preprogrammed Eurekaprom chip

Lkdog

Power User
Quick comments here for those that might be interested.
EurekaSound!

Overall this is a nice product if you are not one to want (or lack ability like me) to delve into a lot of programming of your UNO chip FCB1010 with Ripwerx.
Install and setup is easy.
The modes work as advertised.

I can now get to all 384 presets.
Now have 10 stompbox switches.
The 10 favorite preset mode is nice.

The individual Stomp box status is still not recognized upon loading a preset; and lack of bi-directional communication with Axe Edit is still an issue (as it was with the UNO chip).

The WAh autoengage is little less user friendly than with the UNO chip IMO. I ended up using Switch 10 in Stompbox to turn Wah on/off also as the On/Off threshold in Autoengae had to be set so high (13%) to work and I thought it was reducing the Wah range. Could be totally wrong on that.

If this could recognize the stompbox status upon loading a preset- it would be quite a product.
Right now it starts in a "BLIP state" unknown state when you load a preset. If the effect is already on originally in preset-you have to hit the switch to get button active.
If it is not on, well-if you hit it you actually turn it on. Not so good.
Not crazy about going through all 10 switches to get them active and accurately lit or not lit.
Does work good after that.

Overall- this is a good value for 35$ for people like me without a lot of MIDI programming skills.
Some creative guys working on this as it works for a lot of products on the market.

Last edited:
needs a looper setup as a mode. also very strange numbering system with regards to presets banks, I cant figure out what number on the display has to do with the axe actual preset.

needs a looper setup as a mode. also very strange numbering system with regards to presets banks, I cant figure out what number on the display has to do with the axe actual preset.

I guess you could use some of the Stomp box switches to use the Looper......dunno, have never used the Looper.

The numbering system after the first BANK 0 seems to be 128 plus the number in the bank you are in so if you are in BANK 1 preset 104, then that is actually 128 + 104 =232 on the AXE FX II.
If you are in BANK 2 then 104 would be 256 plus 104, or 360.

It kind of threw me at first. It would be good to have to show the actual number of the preset.

thanks, what did you mean by autoengage on the wah less friendly, I am having a bit of trouble with mine, but I think its just the settings on the axe; I can never remember, to be "off" if the max settings have to be lower than the end setting (or something like that, Im free thinking here forgive me)

thanks, what did you mean by autoengage on the wah less friendly, I am having a bit of trouble with mine, but I think its just the settings on the axe; I can never remember, to be "off" if the max settings have to be lower than the end setting (or something like that, Im free thinking here forgive me)

Well, if I understand correctly- you have to set the OFF VaL percentage in the WAH Block EDIT menu on the AXE to a number where it shuts off.
It is 5% by default.

Using the EurekaProm- that low of a percentage number does not register.
My guess it is due to the calibration of the pedal in the Eureka chip. The lowest number is 10 and the highest is 78 (on my EXT 1 pedal I use for WAH).
10/78 is 13%.

A percentage number lower than that in the OFF VaL percentage such as 5% or even 10% does not register to shut off when you put the heel back down after autoengaging the Wah.
SO, I set mine to 13% and it shuts off. My concern was if it reduced the effective range fo the WAH bandpass filter.

Not sure, but it might.

Anyway I use the Stompbox switch 10 to shut it off in EFFECTS mode.
Still screwing around with it actually.

Last edited:
I like the idea, but when I do get the AxeFXII I'll be sticking with the Uno chip. Main reason being that I can program a bank to be any 5 patches I want whick pretty much covers anything I'd need for a specific song. I only have 5 stomps, but I can program any patch to correctly reflect the status of the preset using Ripwerx so there is no guessing. I also don't need to turn on and off more than 5 effects at any given time in most cases. And I also got over not being able to scroll through all 384 patches...if I can get to about 20 of them and use them with no problem I'm usually more than good. Using the course bank select MIDI command I can get to any patch on the AxeFX without a problem and I don't have to worry about where a patch is located in relation to which bank I'm on with the foot controller; I can set up any patch in any bank.

I'm not dogging on the chip or anything, but for my application it would seem to be more limiting than liberating. And its not like you have to program the FCB1010 every day; once you get it set up you're pretty much done.

shasha I just hated not knowing without a light what was on or off, but dont disagree with anything else, and no ripworx is limiting. cant someone make a decent compromise?! thanks for the update lkdog, now I get what yer sayin, wonder if dave at eureka could respond.

I spoke to the guys at EurekaProm about a year ago about working on this and they will get back to you and seemed more than interested in making the best product they could. While the FCB1010 is versatile it isn't the end all be all so there are going to be compromises that have to be made.

I'd shoot them an email with some requests and ideas and if they are serious they should work with you. I know that they asked me to betatest for them, but I had sold my Ultra at that point and am still waiting on my coupon.

I spoke to the guys at EurekaProm about a year ago about working on this and they will get back to you and seemed more than interested in making the best product they could. While the FCB1010 is versatile it isn't the end all be all so there are going to be compromises that have to be made.

I'd shoot them an email with some requests and ideas and if they are serious they should work with you. I know that they asked me to betatest for them, but I had sold my Ultra at that point and am still waiting on my coupon.

They are definitely creative and resourceful guys.
The FCB1010 is a very good and well made low cost product and the UNO chip or this EurekaProm chip make it a crazy value even with the compromises of the unit.

Like I said - if the EurekaProm could recognize stompbox status upon loading a preset- it would make the FCB1010 a crazy value for price and performance for the AXE FX II.

The other wish list item is getting the FCB and AXE Edit to communicate with each other back and forth. May not be possible, but that would be a game changer, too.

Dave from EurekaSound chiming in here (sorry I'm late - I'll try to cover each of the topics mentioned):

Regarding expression pedal calibration, our calibration routine takes the lowest & highest actual values from the FCB circuit and stretches them from 0-127. So, after calibration, you should see values 0-127 comes out.

Regarding looping, there is a looper on the Axe FX-Ultra. Here's some info on it: Looper - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki You could set up EF mode in the PP Configuration to send those MIDI CCs.

Regarding preset numbering, the Fractal Axe series each contain 384 presets. From a MIDI standpoint these presets are arranged in 3 banks of 128 each. The mapping works like this:

Fractal Preset #.......FCB1010 Preset Display (PP Configuration) and actual Program Change command
0-127....................Bank 0, Preset 0-127
128-255.................Bank 1, Preset 0-127
256-383.................Bank 2, Preset 0-127

I know it's a little confusing to want Axe preset 140, but enter Bank 1 preset 12 - but the FCB1010 display is limited to a maximum of 199, so it could never display 200-383 anyway.

Unfortunately the EurekaPROM can't utilize Ripwerx - cool program though!

And lastly, we'd ***love*** to be able to probe & reflect effect state in EF mode (like we do for the AdrenaLinn 3, etc.). We sent an email to Fractal support asking for the MIDI map in order to do that, but we haven't heard back yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Dave
EurekaSound

Dave from EurekaSound chiming in here (sorry I'm late - I'll try to cover each of the topics mentioned):

Regarding expression pedal calibration, our calibration routine takes the lowest & highest actual values from the FCB circuit and stretches them from 0-127. So, after calibration, you should see values 0-127 comes out.

Regarding looping, there is a looper on the Axe FX-Ultra. Here's some info on it: Looper - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki You could set up EF mode in the PP Configuration to send those MIDI CCs.

Regarding preset numbering, the Fractal Axe series each contain 384 presets. From a MIDI standpoint these presets are arranged in 3 banks of 128 each. The mapping works like this:

Fractal Preset #.......FCB1010 Preset Display (PP Configuration) and actual Program Change command
0-127....................Bank 0, Preset 0-127
128-255.................Bank 1, Preset 0-127
256-383.................Bank 2, Preset 0-127

I know it's a little confusing to want Axe preset 140, but enter Bank 1 preset 12 - but the FCB1010 display is limited to a maximum of 199, so it could never display 200-383 anyway.

Unfortunately the EurekaPROM can't utilize Ripwerx - cool program though!

And lastly, we'd ***love*** to be able to probe & reflect effect state in EF mode (like we do for the AdrenaLinn 3, etc.). We sent an email to Fractal support asking for the MIDI map in order to do that, but we haven't heard back yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Dave
EurekaSound

Thanks for the info.

I played around with the WAh setting some more. When not using autoengage I get the full range indeed.

Hope Fractal sends you that Midi Map info.
That would be awesome.

Stomp box status woth Eureka Chip?

Hi I have talked to Dave about this.
Hi, is it possible to set the state of preset effects in EF on one preset, then save them ON the FCB and your eureka chip?
His answer"
Not currently. What we'd really like is to read state of the device, but we don't have the sysex memory map of the Axe -we've requested it yet, unfortunately Cliff didn't respond to my email..." I am hoping that Cliff will be open to sharing the Sysex data , if so the FCB 1010 with eureka chip would rock. I suggested he call him personally, as I believe both will gain in the end as small entrepreneurs and us, as end users. What do you say Cliff?:razz

he wont do it, hes not going to help any controller except the one he sells, I can understand this; I would hope dave eureka man could figure this out if he could figure everything else out! (almost everything)

so new quandry, problem with eureka; how to set expression pedals to do more than one thing globally --- ie. fcb has 2 exp pedals, but with uno one could have anything assigned to these with any preset. How can one achieve this with eureka? Dave suggested it may be possible with the "wildcard" (HI dweezil) post in the manual. I dont have the foggiest how. somehow I want on some presets a wah and whammy (ala vai, satch) but globally most of the time have wah and volume. Im willing to take up a stompbox numbered switch eg. number 10 or whatever, do be sort of a wild on off switch, but I dont know how to set the volume pedal to turn "off" and whammy stay on. in the i/o panel they will both have to be set to ext. controller 7; how can I get the volume part to "disappear or not engage" while using the whammy?

Simply assign the CC of the exp2 to one of the EXTERNAL 1-12 CCs. Then assign the modifier to same EXT CC.

Back
Top Bottom