Can't install USB driver - get error 105

noneal

I am trying to install the usb driver and getting the error code 105.

Windows 7 64bit

The first time I installed, I did not get the error. But, the Axe II was not recognized and it would not show up in AxeEdit. I uninstalled the drivers and tried to reinstall, but ever since I am getting the 105 error.

Have seen this thread http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...i-windows-driver-wont-install-error-code.html and the solutions provided there don't work.

It sounds like it is not fully uninstalling the driver. I searched the registry and deleted the driver entry. Is there anywhere else I need to remove something?

Thanks!

Uninstall any previous versions. Install the new version and make sure you follow the directions.
I got the same error (105) the first time to. But everything went smooth after uninstalling the previous version.
Hope that helps.

I have tried uninstalling with no luck. Get the same thing every time. Tried different USB cords as well. Any other tips?

Thanks,
Nathan

I have tried uninstalling with no luck. Get the same thing every time. Tried different USB cords as well. Any other tips?

Thanks,
Nathan
Try this.. turn off Axe.. go into <drive>:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer\Driver (usually under default root drive) and run setup.exe. Follow directions.. ignore [or cancel] any MS prompts to install drivers.
See if that works.

Well, it worked for a little while. Axe-edit recognized the Axe II and started to update the firmware. It got to 99% and froze. Usb device was not recognized after that. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and still no luck.

Well, it worked for a little while. Axe-edit recognized the Axe II and started to update the firmware. It got to 99% and froze. Usb device was not recognized after that. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and still no luck.
when you say "started to update the firmware".. is this something you initiated ?
If so, and it failed, then the USB driver won't work if the Axe on the other end is not responding..
More details pls..

Yes, I started the firmware update from 2.00 to 3.02. It went until 99% and then froze. I cancelled the upgrade, hit recall on the Axe Fx and it works as normal. I uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted 4-5 times. Eventually, the driver installed and this time froze at 44%. Went through it all again and it froze right when i started firmware upgrade. I think there is either something wrong with my pc or my Axe Fx. I will try installing on another computer tomorrow.

First... once the drivers are installed correctly on Win7 and you can communicate with the Axe, the % failure is NOT due to a driver failure. Leave those alone.. you are giving yourself unnecessary grief.

Second.. if the firmware upgrade fails, power cycle the Axe. It should boot up as the %complete stage does not replace the firmware. If you get to the "verifying" stage and it fails, then the new firmware is most likely installed and you may have a larger issue.

If you can't communicate with the Axe after a power cycle - and the Axe start up successfully - kill AxeEdit and restart it.

If still no communication, open the USB driver from the systray icon and see if you have a "No Device(s) Connected" msg in right hand panel. If you do, then post back here as it indicates that the firmware on the Axe might be corrupted and there's no USB interface. We can go from there, as you may have to find another approach to upgrading the firmware - like MIDI. And it's unlikely that the problem is on the PC side. My win7x64 installation is rock solid.

Also, make sure you have all MS patches/fixes applied and no USB driver conflicts...

Last edited:
Thanks again for the help.

I made sure my usb drivers for my motherboard are up to date and no conflicts.

Once the Axe is recognized and the driver in the systray says it is connected, I open up Axe-Edit. Sometimes it shows the Axe as connected and sometimes it doesnt. If it is, when I go to update the firmware, it will either freeze when I click send, or freeze at some point during the update. I have to reboot the Axe and then it says unrecognized usb device and the systray usb driver says No Devices Connected.

If the Axe is not showing as connected in Axe-Edit, I go to the midi settings and try to choose the Axe midi in/out and it always freezes when I do this. Have to kill Axe-Edit. The Axe will still show as connected to the Usb driver after this until I restart it, then it shows no device.

Once it is unrecognized, I have to reboot the pc.

Thanks again for the help.

I made sure my usb drivers for my motherboard are up to date and no conflicts.

Once the Axe is recognized and the driver in the systray says it is connected, I open up Axe-Edit. Sometimes it shows the Axe as connected and sometimes it doesnt. If it is, when I go to update the firmware, it will either freeze when I click send, or freeze at some point during the update. I have to reboot the Axe and then it says unrecognized usb device and the systray usb driver says No Devices Connected.

If the Axe is not showing as connected in Axe-Edit, I go to the midi settings and try to choose the Axe midi in/out and it always freezes when I do this. Have to kill Axe-Edit. The Axe will still show as connected to the Usb driver after this until I restart it, then it shows no device.

Once it is unrecognized, I have to reboot the pc.
You have the 1.50 drivers installed ? (open in systray, then info, about). If not, they are available from FAS web site.
If yes, then try a different USB cable or port ?
And you are running the 242 release of AxeEdit ?
I'm on win7x64 too and have no issues what so ever.
There's a logical explanation here, we just need to find it.

Noneal

I don’t have Win 7 I have Vista, but with the exception of the install problems you had to begin with, you are naming allot of the problems I had under the old USB driver. Do you have the new one which came out Nov 16[SUP]th[/SUP]? (150) And by any chance do you have the Axe Fx hooked up to a hub? If so get it off the hub.
I have had the AF II since July and been using the original USB driver since around the same time, always worked fine with the editors but with the introduction of 1.0.211 then very shortly after 1.0.242 my world changed, pretty much everything you said and I spent a little time with it. The results!
The freeze could affect the computer in a few ways, one is after a crash with Axe Edit I could not get the process to end even with task manager, it was locked, sometimes I could get it to end (rarely) Sometimes to get it to end powering down the Axe Fx or just disconnecting USB might do the trick. However something was still not right to link up with the AF again the computer needed a reboot. If the processes could not be killed the machine would still do anything with the exception of “shutdown” and “restart” had the hard-boot it. There were also times were it affected the AF also, sometimes the AF needed to be power cycled or it would not respond to any of my computers.
Hopefully you just have the old driver, if not try to uninstall the driver and then go to the C:\Fractal Audio Systems\ folder and delete it before reinstalling driver and also delete this folder before install C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio\Axe-Fx II Driver

I have the latest usb driver and axe-edit. I tried installing the usb driver on another pc and it gives similar errors. I think there is something wrong with the Axe II. I can't get my MFC to connect either. I guess I will contact Fractal about sending it back.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom