Axe-fx 2 for the aussies!!!

pretty sure as long as it is marked 'made in the US' you are fine...they obviously break this down sometimes if half the gear is from china etc....so its not straight forward

Guys just thought I would clarify this process for you (as I have bought a shitload of gear from US before)...

You will get stung for:

- 10% of the total of the declared value + shipping costs of the item if the total of both is above $1000 in AUD.

- there is an additional 5% Duty for most imported stuff; however, due to our free trade agreement with the US, anything manufactured there is exempt (i.e. this is where you DON'T HAVE TO PAY the duty on Fractal gear as it is made in US - normally an extra 5% ON TOP OF THE 10% mentioned above!)

- the $40 odd is 'costs' for Customs to process and file your paperwork (mandatory fee - what a rip)

- the broker fee (if you choose to use one). This means all the paperwork is done for you to get the item cleared through customs and it is usually processed much quicker than if you choose to handle the process yourself (sometimes takes weeks and can mean you pay extra 'storage' costs to customs during that period - especially if you muff the forms up). I recommend www.auspostcustoms.com.au and usually use their 24hr service which costs an extra $77.

...so in the end you have to weigh up the costs. Most often it is better importing so long as you are confident that your gear won't break down. Most O/S manufacturers won't honour their warranty unless you have purchased locally through their Aussie distributor. Pretty standard practice and not unreasonable I suppose.

To give you an idea, I recently bought TWO new QSC KW122 FRFR speakers direct from a New York dealer for a grand total of about 2.4K (inlcuding shipping and all the above fees). The cheapest deal I could get in Australia was 1.8K EACH - not inlcluding freight. That was when our dollar was about even with the USD as well.

As mentioned above, if you decide you are better off importing the AxeII, I would consider something like bongo. Look it up.

onemoreguitar said:
There are some distributers who are fair. Unfortunately they're few and far between. Most of them are overpriced, ignorant of their own product lines and just all around a pain in the ass to deal with. Independent seem to be alright. I've spoken to Seamus on a couple occasions and he was always helpful. I already had my Ultra a while before they started distributing for FA so he didn't have any info that I didn't already have, but you could tell he was doing his homework and trying to catch up on the curve. I'm from Texas so I can easily have stuff sent to Sydney, but I still might get it through Independent.

On a related note, I heard that Taylor is about to start doing their own distribution direct to retailers. It's the model they started using in Europe. They're just waiting for their current deal with the Aussie distributer to expire. Should drop the prices a decent amount.

I think you might be misinformed re Taylor. They just switched distribution from ELFA to Audio Products. and only recently. I'd be extremely surprised to see them make the move you're suggesting.

I'd agree with TroyL about Taylor.
He's right - APG only took over the distribution from Electric Factory a few months ago and the prices did drop somewhat.

I saw that as well, but I trust the person who told me implicitly as far as this is concerned. I know they've started direct distributorship in other markets worldwide with good success. They were supposed to have launched that model in Au, but decided to go for EU first instead. Doesn't make a huge difference to me. I'm American so cheap(er) US made gear isn't hard to come buy.

Was going to settle and get an Ultra for around 1800 but I think I may hang out and try and get the 2 HOPEFULLY for around 2.5k. I can just imagine getting the Ultra, thinking it's the best thing ever and constantly wondering about the 2 haha

Was going to settle and get an Ultra for around 1800 but I think I may hang out and try and get the 2 HOPEFULLY for around 2.5k. I can just imagine getting the Ultra, thinking it's the best thing ever and constantly wondering about the 2 haha

Yeah that's how my brain works too, having said that after lengthy use of v11 firmware on the ultra over the weekend i just can't imagine how the 2 is going to sound any better, v11 just sounds and feels so good.

Now that i've sold it I am having separation anxiety and kind of wish i had just kept it.

I really hope the wait on the 2 from independent isn't too long.

I know next to nothing about running a successful business, but surely the posts above hoping for a $2.5K price are kidding themselves and setting themselves up for disappointment? The unit is $2.2K USD, plus at least $400 for import fees, duty, GST and who knows what else, and we're already over the wishful $2.5K. If you were running a distributorship/shop with product support, staff, other admin costs and profit expectations, that's more again.

I know next to nothing about running a successful business, but surely the posts above hoping for a $2.5K price are kidding themselves and setting themselves up for disappointment? The unit is $2.2K USD, plus at least $400 for import fees, duty, GST and who knows what else, and we're already over the wishful $2.5K. If you were running a distributorship/shop with product support, staff, other admin costs and profit expectations, that's more again.

Exactly. And while they might be getting them at a "wholesale" price, Cliff has always said there's not that much margin in an Axe-FX to begin with. And these are distributors, not overseas branches of FAS. So FAS will still need to make a profit on every unit they sell to their distributors. So while I'm guessing, I'd imagine that wholesale price plus import costs and GST and all that ends up being more than the straight USD sell price, and then you add Independent's other costs and their need to make a profit on top of that.

Unfortunately we just live in the wrong part of the world for music gear. Could be worse though... this could be a Mesa/Boogie forum, where we're all waiting to get hold of the latest M/B amp. Now THERE'S a brand with some brutal mark up here. :lol

Agreed

Wait a minute..... I will be in Canada from the 27/06 - 05/08.... :idea

I might try and get one then? would save a lot of money!!!

Wait a minute..... I will be in Canada from the 27/06 - 05/08.... :idea

I might try and get one then? would save a lot of money!!!

nope..it could cost you more
they have import taxes there and if you own it less than 12mths you run the risk of getting double stung coming back into aus if the customs pulls you up
Best bet is to try to get it sent to some friend in the states then take it back to Aus

the question is.....can you ship to an address that is not your CC billing address?!!?

1. Take your AFX 1 with you to canada in a 2 space rack case.
2. Sell AFX1 when you get there.
3. Buy AFX2.
4. Return with AFX2 in 2 space rack case.

Will they know the difference?

1. Take your AFX 1 with you to canada in a 2 space rack case.
2. Sell AFX1 when you get there.
3. Buy AFX2.
4. Return with AFX2 in 2 space rack case.

Will they know the difference?

You must have some Italian blood :twisted....I have and I did something similar years ago flying in with a MIM and back with a CS...:mrgreen

Well we will have to wait and see what the price is from Independent. I have a foot in both camps, both points of view are valid.

Having said that I was going to buy an Ultra in the past, I know things have changed, but I just couldn't bring myself to order one from Independent. At the time it was about $3,300 (I can't remember that exact figure, it was about that) and I had to wait minimum over a month. If I lived in New Zealand I could buy direct from Fractal, or I could have used a broker, completely legally, warranty intact, and had it shipped to me within a few days for around $2300AUD.

Flame away if you will but with a difference of over a grand It's hard to see how I was getting a fair go.

Last edited:
Well we will have to wait and see what the price is from Independent. I have a foot in both camps, both points of view are valid.

Having said that I was going to buy an Ultra in the past, I know things have changed, but I just couldn't bring myself to order one from Independent. At the time it was about $3,300 (I can't remember that exact figure, it was about that) and I had to wait minimum over a month. If I lived in New Zealand I could buy direct from Fractal, or I could have used a broker, completely legally, warranty intact, and had it shipped to me within a few days for around $2300AUD.

Flame away if you will but with a difference of over a grand It's hard to see how I was getting a fair go.

Full warranty how does that work?

how would you have gotten it for $2300? i purchased my ultra from fractal direct pre-distributor days and it cost me $3300 all up with freight and imports etc.

Full warranty how does that work?

You can pay an extra fee, it's not much to cover the return shipping if there is a problem otherwise shipping is up to you.

how would you have gotten it for $2300? i purchased my ultra from fractal direct pre-distributor days and it cost me $3300 all up with freight and imports etc.

That's what it costs after the brokerage fees, shipping etc. Obviously the high the dollar the lower it costs.

Back
Top Bottom