Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

Sold my standard 2 weeks ago for $1500 locally to a guy that couldn't wait for a new one to be shipped to him. What are the standards going to be worth after today? $900, $1000?

I have legitimate concerns as a new purchaser that the support which has long been a HUGE selling point of these products is at risk.

just disappointment at the potential that my brand new fangled shiny product is not going to be supported in the manner it was yesterday

Well, 'support' and 'free upgrades' are not necessarily used interchangeably. It has been said that it will be supported in terms of bug fixes etc, so in that regard you will have support for the functionality that exists when you bought the unit. Otherwise I think many have taken the 'free upgrades' part for granted and lumped that in with the 'support' moniker when, in fact, it's not quite the same thing.

This is not true and I resent the personal attack, that's not cool. I have legitimate concerns as a new purchaser that the support which has long been a HUGE selling point of these products is at risk. I am not going against progress, could not give two shits about resale value and do not begrudge missing out on any of the hardware advances/items too advanced to run on my unit, no sour grapes here, just disappointment at the potential that my brand new fangled shiny product is not going to be supported in the manner it was yesterday and looking for the concerns to be addressed in some manner and official word from the manufacturer, although at times a little exaggerated anger on my part, I don't think I have been unfair in my statements. If you don't understand that as a legitimate consumer concern then I am sorry but you are burying head in fan-boi sand.

Agreed. It is not unreasonable to be upset that our shiny new hardware cannot run the new G2 modeling technology, for example. Its similar to my PC; bought it in 2006 with XP and now it runs 64-bit Windows 7. Completely different OS's but same hardware. This is not the case here.

Sold my standard 2 weeks ago for $1500 locally to a guy that couldn't wait for a new one to be shipped to him. What are the standards going to be worth after today? $900, $1000?

I haven't seen the mass sell-off like the Ultra. I think most people who buy a Standard do so because they don't want to pony up the extra $$$ for an Ultra. My guess is that the used Standard price will be ~$300-$400 below whatever the used Ultra market levels off at.

Agreed. It is not unreasonable to be upset that our shiny new hardware cannot run the new G2 modeling technology, for example. Its similar to my PC; bought it in 2006 with XP and now it runs 64-bit Windows 7. Completely different OS's but same hardware. This is not the case here.

Apples and oranges. Your OS isn't expected to push your PC to its limits on its own. Otherwise how would you be able to run any additional applications? However, since the DSP on the AxeFX is specialized and there isn't the overhead of a separate OS between the firmware code and the processor, the firmware code can push the DSP to its limits and, perhaps, the G2 code does it to the extent that it requires a more then the single processor on the older AxeFX models.

Well, 'support' and 'free upgrades' are not necessarily used interchangeably. It has been said that it will be supported in terms of bug fixes etc, so in that regard you will have support for the functionality that exists when you bought the unit. Otherwise I think many have taken the 'free upgrades' part for granted and lumped that in with the 'support' moniker when, in fact, it's not quite the same thing.

I see what you are saying about free upgrades and support but y'know, he could charge a fee for them. like the poster above me says, my 5 year old Mac Book Pro still runs Ableton 8, Logic 9, Max 5 just not as good as the new stuff. My 1 months old audio processor which cost me more doesn't run the newest gen software, at all, by the looks of it. The way the Axe-fx is marketed/hyped by endorsees, reviewers, re-sellers, on this forum etc has always been on this upgradable platform which seems to have possibly vanished. I think that is a fair thing to be worried about.

I haven't seen the mass sell-off like the Ultra. I think most people who buy a Standard do so because they don't want to pony up the extra $$$ for an Ultra. My guess is that the used Standard price will be ~$300-$400 below whatever the used Ultra market levels off at.

I don't think it would be smart to discontinue the standard Axe FX as $2199 is a big buy in for many people. I don't know what % the standard was of overall sales but if X number of people thought standard was fine and would rather save 500 bucks. . . .that percentage may go higher if the difference is now 700 bucks.

If new standards are still 1500, I can see the price for used and no longer available Ultras to hover around 1800.

Apples and oranges. Your OS isn't expected to push your PC to its limits on its own. Otherwise how would you be able to run any additional applications? However, since the DSP on the AxeFX is specialized and there isn't the overhead of a separate OS between the firmware code and the processor, the firmware code can push the DSP to its limits and, perhaps, the G2 code does it to the extent that it requires a more then the single processor on the older AxeFX models.

Again I get it and I understand, progress and all that but come on, you gotta see where somebody such as myself is coming from. Like I said, I would hope anything technically capable of running on the hardware would be included in future Ultra/Standard updates.

Again I get it and I understand, progress and all that but come on, you gotta see where somebody such as myself is coming from. Like I said, I would hope anything technically capable of running on the hardware would be included in future Ultra/Standard updates.

I think that's been proven by the release of the new firmware.

Cliff, you can't believe what a sigh of relief this post has given me!! I had gotten that point of view from quotes on this forum & I guess forum users have been mis-quoting you in that case. I would imagine we'd all be grateful if at some point you could clear up what the future will be for the Ultra with some sort of official announcement? My hope is that Ultra users now will be in much the same position Standard users were in when the Ultra first came out (that would seem logical to me). I just couldn't get my head around this idea that the Ultra had 'matured' & was being left as is. ...I'm glad to find that that was obviously bogus information.

I am sure Cliff has the best of intentions and that is great. Reality may be different. With limited resources would he choose to update the "older" units or the "flagship"? There has got to be more room to do cool stuff on the new box. I could see guys that purchase II complaining if resources were spent on a "legacy" platform instead of making revolutionary improvements to the modeling world.

Not exactly a 1:1 comparison, but the Sansamp PSA 1 vs. 1.1...if you liked the 1 and wanted more features then you got the 1.1 but the 1 is just fine. I you have patches and IRs you like and don't need 50 slots and don't think the new stuff will change much then...same kinda thing. Classic Axe FX Ultras might be the best thing out there. Of all the gear tweaking I've done, I can't say that my new gear has blown away the old. Sometimes I think once you get a good sound, you should stick with it. But we have to go through the process of playing with new stuff to realize that.

AXE FX 2

I cannot tell how PO'd I am about this. I understand how technology purchases work. I just purchased the Ultra on April 18th 2011. Prior to this purchase I had inquired on a couple of occasions if a newer version would be available in the near future. My response was if there were plans that I would obviously rather wait for that newest product. I am a professional working musician who relies on the latest equipment. I was led to believe that there was no newer version. On top of this I recently had surgery and have not even had the chance but to open the box and try a couple of presets and put it away. I cannot believe that a company would not honor a trade-in on a product that is less the 30 days from original purchase. If the trade-in is not allowed then I have to say that this is not what I expected from this company and is considered a questionable business practice at best.

Sincerely

TommyB

i think its fair to say many of us have a valid point here, there are so many upset folks. ( THE ONLY BOX YOULL EVER NEED) erm but you will need the next one for future updates?

I have held-back on buying an Ultra for a while now because of the belief that something like this was going to happen. I will now buy the Axe-FX II. The whining going-on is ridiculous. Go sell yours on eBay, take a bit of a loss and stop expecting Cliff, as generous as he is with his free updates, to bend over backwards more than he already has and does. If he offers a trade-in program that'd be great, but if not you should think twice before grilling the guy on this forum. He was likely in a "can't please everyone" scenario with this release. I, for one, think he did it in an honorable way. He incorporated many of the requests from his customers into the new product, is selling it at a great price... sheesh, give him a break.

Last edited:
i think its fair to say many of us have a valid point here, there are so many upset folks. ( THE ONLY BOX YOULL EVER NEED) erm but you will need the next one for future updates?

You either have a good point or you simply don't understand the difference between "need" and "want."

No need for that, anyone can take part of a sentence out of context to try & make someone look like a prick. Maybe try reading my following posts & you'll see that I did not mean what you are alluding to many pages later on.

I have held-back on buying an Ultra for a while now because of the belief that something like this was going to happen. I will now buy the Axe-FX II. The whining going-on is ridiculous. Go sell yours on eBay, take a bit of a loss and stop expecting Cliff, as generous as he is with his free updates, to bend over backwards more than he already has and does. If he offers a trade-in program that'd be great, but if not you should think twice before grilling the guy on this forum. He was likely in a "can't please everyone" scenario with this release. I, for one, think he did it in an honorable way. He incorporated many of the requests from his customers into the new product, is selling it at a great price... sheesh, give him a break.

thats because you havn't bought one recently.. and bending over backwards??? or improving his product was part of the deal!!!!!!!!!!

thats because you havn't bought one recently.. and bending over backwards??? or improving his product was part of the deal!!!!!!!!!!

I explained why I have waited to buy an Axe-FX ;) I have wanted one for some time now but gambled on the idea that there was a high-enough probability a newer version would be released. So, I waited.

And if you don't think Cliff has always bent over backwards for his customers I'd have to question your familiarity of the subject matter.

Back
Top Bottom