Axe FX Univibe vs. Fulltone MDV...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Does anyone here have a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe? I just bought one about a month ago and I can't decide if I should keep it or not. The Univibe in the Axe FX sounds pretty frickin' awesome. I was wondering if anyone else had an Axe FX and MDV to offer their $.02

Also, does anyone have a Univibe patch they can post so I can hear what type of sound you are getting?

Thanx,

shotgunn

Well, I did my first extensive A/B comparison... So far I have to say that the Fractal Univibe kicks MAJOR ARSE!!!!! I can't believe it. I think I actually prefer the sound and feel of the effect over the MDV. This does not even include that fact that the Univibe in the Axe FX has tempo sync and is programmable. I think I'll be putting this MDV up on CL or eBay soon.

Any other thoughts and opinions are more than welcome.

shotgunn

I know, right... Did you ever compare the two? I don't even know why I bought it. I placed the order at G.C. when I was still gathering funds to pick up my Axe on CL. I had always wanted one because they sound amazing. The Axe chops it to pieces though... Eat that MIKE FULLER!!!!!!

try controlling the rate of the univibe with a very slow (0.1 Hz) square LFO, turn down scale to about 25%, set offset to taste and add about 800ms of damping.

mmhhh...

try controlling the rate of the univibe with a very slow (0.1 Hz) square LFO, turn down scale to about 25%, set offset to taste and add about 800ms of damping.

mmhhh...
That is very cool! I've been slowly wrapping my head around the controllers....that helps and sounds great!
I'm guessing editing the controllers is a global thing so any effect using the one I changed (LFO 2B) will be operating under the same parameter?

And, yea, I thought I didn't like the Univibe effect in the AxeFx when I first got it but after playing with it I realized how great it is!

Last edited:
I know, right... Did you ever compare the two? I don't even know why I bought it. I placed the order at G.C. when I was still gathering funds to pick up my Axe on CL. I had always wanted one because they sound amazing. The Axe chops it to pieces though... Eat that MIKE FULLER!!!!!!

Hold on, that is going too far. I use both and there is nothing that will ever be able to replace the sound of a univibe type pedal through an all tube amp.

That is very cool! I've been slowly wrapping my head around the controllers....that helps and sounds great!
I'm guessing editing the controllers is a global thing so any effect using the one I changed (LFO 2B) will be operating under the same parameter?

the LFO settings are per preset, not global.

mmhhh...

How do you select a square LFO to control the rate? I only see the square option for rate LFO and not controller LFO. Can you post a patch?

select rate
press enter
set source to LFO 1A
press control set type to square
done

(almost a haiku, can't get it to fit tho...)

switch on Axe Fx
bask in the shiny green light
never ever switch off

(wow that ethiopian mocca is strong stuff!)

Don, at that point, why not just use a sin or tri wav and skip the damping?

the result is very different.

while a sine or tri is always on the move, a dampened square travels from one point to the other, lingers there for a while, travels back, lingers etc.

the result is very different.

while a sine or tri is always on the move, a dampened square travels from one point to the other, lingers there for a while, travels back, lingers etc.

Kinda like the route between my favorite bar and home.

(ba da boom?)

mmhhh...

You got me thinking with all the different effects that you attach controllers to the rate on. I experimented with a bit of that on my M13 the other night for kicks, and it really takes some effects to a new level! I think I'm going to have to start doing this in the Axe-FX now...

Haven't tried it on a univibe, but that's an effect I rarely ever use. I'll give these settings a try next week.

D

Thanks. I had found the right place to select the square wave after posting that but I have to say my mistake of using a global controller to give the square wave but following your settings made for a really wild ride on the univibe! Then giving it a tempo of 1/8 note was cool.
I think Scott Peterson posted something about a random movement that was always in tempo for one of his effects settings, I think the rotary speaker...this might be something like he was talking about.
When I did this 'wrong' last night the rate would move slowly, thanks to the damping and then it sort of hung and had a increased intensity happening then it would slide back down and be subtle, almost disapear then repeat the whole event...very live, human sort of thing instead of robotic, like someone was sitting down on the stage and twisting the knobs on a pedal in time with the beat while I played.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom