FCB1010

jimosity said:
The only difference I've added is that I'm using stompbox 10 to send two separate CC signals so that I can basically A/B between two amps in a patch. (works awesome by the way)...

I've just started experimenting with this, and I first did it the same way using two separate CC numbers. But, if you will look at the controller page when editing the amp's bypass mode, you can use the same CC for both. Set both amps to the same controller, "ext1" or whatever. The default slope is " 0% - 50% - 100%, just reverse these on one amp and it will turn on when the other switches off and vice-versa.

Since there are only 8 external modifier locations, this makes sense to me to "conserve" them somewhat, plus it's easier to setup. The same thing would apply to any situation where you want one button to turn any two FX on/off alternately. I love the AxeFX!

Can anyone vouch for the build quality of the FCB1010? I went to a national store to buy one and was advised against getting this due to poor build quality. The guy reported that he had numerous units returned with broken latches/pedals and EPROM failure. Any comments from current users? The alternative I was considering is the roland FC300. Looks like my GT10 which is solid in construction.

Sportacus said:
Can anyone vouch for the build quality of the FCB1010? I went to a national store to buy one and was advised against getting this due to poor build quality. The guy reported that he had numerous units returned with broken latches/pedals and EPROM failure. Any comments from current users? The alternative I was considering is the roland FC300. Looks like my GT10 which is solid in construction.
At the price point, it's my opinion that it's as solid as any other pedals in that range. If people are breaking pedals on it, they'd probably break them on the FC300 or GT10 as well. When I got my FCB, I literally jumped up and down on top of it a few times to test that kind of thing... same with my PODxt Live -- I'm not a heavy guy though, so YMMV if anyone else tries that as their litmus test.

Any assembly line could be susceptible to periodic weaknesses in construction though. Maybe that store got a bad batch. I know Sweetwater told me specifically that the reason they don't carry Behringer was because of too many returns but I don't know if the returns applied generally or only to specific parts of the Behringer line.

Via the FCB1010 Yahoo Group, there was something found a while back (that I think affected the vol/wah pedals, IIRC), and, to my surprise, a Behringer rep on the group spoke up and addressed the issue specifically, the reasons why it happened, what was being done in the factory to solve it, the current fix they used on their end (people had been posting their solutions), and also thanked the members for pointing it out. I don't want to go so far as saying that they offered to fix it for free, but they might have... this was about a year and a half ago, so my memory's hazy.

So far, mine's held up to the minimal abuse I give it. At $150-ish for a used one, it's pretty easy to replace if anything does go wrong, and it suits many of my needs. OTOH, $150 twice is $300... if another pedal is half as likely to break down on you, there's a reason to consider it.

Hope that helps you make a definitive decision! :D :p :lol:

Oh, also, keep in mind what the UnO firmware chip fixes and if you think you'll use any of those fixes and so if you're comfortable popping the FCB open and replacing the chip. Plus the cost of the update. See one of the Yahoo groups for more info.

thanks for the info. I think the price point is a good one. I guess its also warranted if anything should go wrong.

Stewart

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but after reading all this I'm a bit confused. Is it impossible to use the FCB for instant access switching (blocks on and off within a patch) without first replacing the chip?

ratter said:
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but after reading all this I'm a bit confused. Is it impossible to use the FCB for instant access switching (blocks on and off within a patch) without first replacing the chip?
No, it's just more work if you're using more than one FCB preset.
(The UnO chip will preserve the state of five of the FCB switches across FCB preset changes. Without UnO, you'll have to program those five switches for each FCB preset if you want them to control the same parameters as the other FCB presets. And unless you're awesome at planning preset switches, you may have to tap a switch twice every now and then to get it to correspond with the current off/on status of an Axe-Fx block.)

Sportacus said:

I have a button on my FCB1010 that doesn't work. I have another that i have to stomp quite hard to get to work.
I have opened it up to check for any OBVIOUS problems but can't see anything.

I'm just now getting around to asking this because it's just now driving me completely nuts. How do I get the FCB1010 to not recall the IA state when I use tap tempo as a secondary function of the PC buttons? I have it set to Block Repetitive PC Messages. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works? thanks.

jr213 said:
I'm just now getting around to asking this because it's just now driving me completely nuts. How do I get the FCB1010 to not recall the IA state when I use tap tempo as a secondary function of the PC buttons? I have it set to Block Repetitive PC Messages. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works? thanks.

that's not possible. it will always send the initial state of the IA's. IMO all the other footcontrollers work in the same way, I know that my all access will do it that way. BTW, it's a feature I absolutely love and don't want to miss.

Only solution is to use a IA for your tap-tempo

Thanks for clarifying.

Just for my own understanding, why is there an option for not sending repetitive PC messages? Isn't that essentially what's still happening - recalling the initial states of your preset?

jr213 said:
Thanks for clarifying.

Just for my own understanding, why is there an option for not sending repetitive PC messages? Isn't that essentially what's still happening - recalling the initial states of your preset?

recalling the initial states are CC messages, not PC message

Hi Patrick,
I hear from many sources that you are an expert with the FCB - i've been talking a lot with Xavier/Ossandust (also belgian, I'm french so not so far away) and I would love to access you web site but it seems to be down. I still have some issues in programming the FCB to talk to the AXE (mostly using the stompox mode, making the AXE understand that I'm not sending a CC like for a wah or a volume pedal, but just a boolean to switch on and off, I cannot make it work.)
If there is a way you access the data you've gathered or communicate directly with you by mail ...
Thanks
Philippe
"one of the first AXE owners in France, probably !"

jr213 said:
I must be losing my mind... or my FCB1010 editor!
I cannot find it anywhere... so I downloaded it again here:
http://home.att.net/~the-bug/GettingStarted.html
Unzipped the file and the .jar file is NOT IN THERE!!!

Can someone please help?? TIA!
Just downloaded it, extracted, ran the .jar fine.
What's the file size on the zip file you downloaded? Should be ~700 kb. [edit] er... whoops... that's the size of the extracted .jar ...the .zip is ~350 kb [/edit]
If you still can't download it properly for some reason, PM me and I'll temporarily stick the unzipped jar on my server.

Thanks for getting me up and running again!
What a weird thing... I don't know why it even disappeared in the first place. :?

A question regarding Uno and stompbox mode.

In Stompbox mode, is it possible to have different stompbox pedals/fx settings for each patch or do the stompboxes have to be the same fx/settings all the time?

Cheers.

rdomain said:

In Stompbox mode, is it possible to have different stompbox pedals/fx settings for each patch or do the stompboxes have to be the same fx/settings all the time?

Cheers.

They can be totally different from patch to patch.

rdomain said:

Cheers.

stompboxes will always send the same CC's
you can set the state of the CC's (on/off) for each patch

Back
Top Bottom