FM3 Firmware Version 8.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey why is this here? It doesn't seem to do anything. It would be great if it did. I don't recall seeing this before the update.

1713508329563.png

Hello,
I'm experiencing USB connection issues after updating to 8.0 beta (not the same day but from the following day).
FM3 Edit is unable to connect to 3 out of 4 ports on my laptop (and all ports work correctly with other devices).
Could this be due to a possible bug?

Hello,
I'm experiencing USB connection issues after updating to 8.0 beta (not the same day but from the following day).
FM3 Edit is unable to connect to 3 out of 4 ports on my laptop (and all ports work correctly with other devices).
Could this be due to a possible bug?

My FM3 was also loosing connection one time, for the first time (I have the unit since december 2020)

Hey why is this here? It doesn't seem to do anything. It would be great if it did. I don't recall seeing this before the update.

View attachment 138976
Yeah. The power tube section? It was there.
But I agree with you, it doesn’t seem to really do anything at all… I have brought this up before and I have been told “the change is very subtle.“
But yes, I agree… Even cranked I can’t even tell a subtle difference! Perhaps I’m doing something wrong…

Ich habe das überprüft und sie klingen auf dem Axe-Fx III und dem FM3 gleich – wie die optischen Trem-Geräte, die ich kenne.

Yeah. The power tube section? It was there.
But I agree with you, it doesn’t seem to really do anything at all… I have brought this up before and I have been told “the change is very subtle.“
But yes, I agree… Even cranked I can’t even tell a subtle difference! Perhaps I’m doing something wrong…
Bias Trem was never in the FM3 Amp Block, only in the Greater Brothers Blocks (AxeFX + maybe FM9 have this)
Its an FM3 Edit issue like also the Plate Reverbs have non corresponding controls…

I'm terrified.
I have no chance of testing before tomorrow's gig but I updated anyway.
Just a couple of settings have changed so I should be good

I have to say : I'm impressed. I explain myself : I've buy the FM3 because eveytime I saw a comparison test, the Fractal stuff won in term of sound. Even most of my favorite sounds on album have been recorded on Fractal. I'm a long time helix user and I have been quite happy in term of sound even if the amp feel wasn't so much here, it's a great product. But when I get the FM3 last summer, I was not so impressed I have to say, because Line 6 have made a great work on upgrading the Helix ecosystem along the year AND because switching had a gap on fractal, and didn't knew that. I mean : how the king of modeler could have a such "non-convenient" feature in 2023 ? So, the sound was good, but amp feeling not so far away from line 6 with a good IR. For this reason, I never (and mostly because of the gap switch) consider using the FM3 in live situation and I was very close to sell my unit. But now, this changes everything : the gapless switching is a game changer and the new modeling motor bring the FM3 to life IMO. So great job FAS team, I'm staying on board !

Hi all !

Not at my FM3 at the moment but just had a thought about a FM3 FSW option which I would find handy.

I suspect the answer is yes, but with the FM3, is it possible to

1 => set up FSW 1 so that it toggles between 2 different pre-sets back and forth on each press -and also-
2 => have it display the pre-assigned colour for each of the 2 pre-sets as it goes back and forth ?

Simple question I know, but not at my unit and have been out of the Fractal-verse for 2+ years.

Many thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Hi all !

Not at my FM3 at the moment but just had a thought about a FM3 FSW option which I would find handy.

I suspect the answer is yes, but with the FM3, is it possible to

1 => set up FSW 1 so that it toggles between 2 different pre-sets back and forth on each press -and-
2 => have it display the pre-assigned colour for each of the 2 pre-sets as it goes back and forth ?

Simple question I know, but not at my unit and have been out of the Fractal-verse for 2+ years.

Many thanks,
Ben
Correct me if I'm wrong all but I don't believe you can assign color to the toggle function. You could if you did tap and hold bw the two presets but not if it's the tap or hold to toggle bw the two.

I usually wait for the full release but I got too excited for the new features. I spent a few hours earlier today messing around with presets and I think FW7 sounded quite a bit better. Every time I played FW7 I was simply floored. The SLO100 was incredible, basically the only amp I've been playing since the DC launch. Now it just sounds off (lost it's "chewy" feel and punch), massive difference to my fingers and ears for sure.

With FW8, I'm finding amps to have more low end "chunk" for sure, but they are also quite muddy and have a general harshness that I'm struggling to dial out. I reset all of my amp blocks and set them the same as I had on FW7 (Pretty simple, I set saturation to ideal and adjust depth to taste, never felt the need to change much more as everything just sounded great at default). With FW8, the saturation switch seems like an instant mud switch.

For better or worse I do think FW8 sounds more like a real tube amp. The gain is drier and the low mids are muddier just like my actual amps. The FM3 with FW7 and DC actually got me hating on my real amps. With most tube amps I've tried, I feel like I'm constantly tweaking and never really happy which led me down a speaker quest that I can no longer afford haha. FW8 has moved me into the same camp. I sat tweaking various amps for the past hour and gave up (tried 3 different guitars). I only briefly compared saturation on vs off (think it might sound better with it off now but I'll need more time to test). I had to shut it down as the general harshness got my tinnitus flared up real nice which is something I didn't have a problem with on FW7.

I kept my DC block the same, maybe that's the problem. Orange 412 on the left, Mesa 412 on the right. Think I need to spend some time trying different mics and positions.
Just messed around for another hour or so.

The sat switch is kind of a mud switch now. It doesn't add the same kind of fullness/punch that it did on 7, just seems to add mushy gain now. Turning it off helped clarity quite a bit. I also did some more tweaking and brought up the master volume instead of amp level. This helped a bit more with clarity and punch.

The CA3+ Lead is fantastic, this might be my new favorite amp. The the Brit 2203/2204 and the new RV50 model sounds awesome too. The SLO100 however is miles different than it was in 7, for me anyway. I just can't seem to dial it in right. No biggie though, the joy of living in this universe is we can always grab another amp.

I'm actually shocked at the CA3+ Lead. Didn't know that amp could sound soo good.

It was a complete anomaly so I don't expect any issues. I even re-exported the exact same IR at 1000ms again and it worked fine, it was just a spooky demon possessed IR for that one instance. Glad to see others are using their IRs though, they're amazing!
Ohh yes, I use that one and the Zilla package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom