Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

There is a simple workaround. If you have a stock FR in stereo with another FR that has a V2 you can just swap the +&- leads on both the horn and the 10 or 12" driver on the stock one.

Two FRs both with V2s is the ideal solution.

Or two stock ones with the hiss fix also works, but if you run any of the stock ones with another FRFR or an amp they will be out of phase. It's yet another design flaw in the original FR preamp design that is solved with the V2.
Ok @WKSmith , now I'm confused (it doesn't take much!...) regarding the phase issue. If you are only running a single cab (FR10 in my case) will you notice any difference between a stock unit and a V2 equipped unit from a phase perspective (ignoring the other V2 enhancements for the purposes of this question)?
I've recently upgraded from an FM3 to an FM9 Turbo and noticed that there is a "phase" option in the FM9 output settings. Will I need to mess with this when running through a single FR10?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to my purchase invite...

Ok @WKSmith , now I'm confused (it doesn't take much!...) regarding the phase issue. If you are only running a single cab (FR10 in my case) will you notice any difference between a stock unit and a V2 equipped unit from a phase perspective (ignoring the other V2 enhancements for the purposes of this question)?
I've recently upgraded from an FM3 to an FM9 Turbo and noticed that there is a "phase" option in the FM9 output settings. Will I need to mess with this when running through a single FR10?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to my purchase invite...
The phase issue is only evident when you run a stock FR with anything else besides another stock FR.
For a single one it is really not noticeable ... but yes I would probably flip the phase on the FM9 for just the output going to the FR. Just to keep everything as it should be.

Yes, stereo. Probably start with FR-10 + EVM PXM-12mp. We'll see. I definitely plan on buying 2 preamps (gold version). I like the EV, but it is very convenient having the power switch and controls on top. And, I'll be curious to see how much quieter the V2 FRs are in comparison. My EV is newer, but still has a very low level hiss.
hmmm. obviously preset dependent, but mine seem whisper quiet.

There is a simple workaround. If you have a stock FR in stereo with another FR that has a V2 you can just swap the +&- leads on both the horn and the 10 or 12" driver on the stock one.

Two FRs both with V2s is the ideal solution.

Or two stock ones with the hiss fix also works, but if you run any of the stock ones with another FRFR or an amp they will be out of phase. It's yet another design flaw in the original FR preamp design that is solved with the V2.
If I’m understanding this correctly that must be why I don’t like playing through my FR10 at the same time as my PS200+4x12 cab… I think the FR10 sounds pretty decent by itself especially compared to the Headrush112 I was using before but there was a big disappointment for me in that when I play through it and my 4x12 cab at the same time the FR10 sounds like total crap, I tried changing all the settings and couldn’t figure out why so I’ve only been playing through one or the other but never both at the same time anymore…
So that’s what’s been going on is an out of phase issue???

If I’m understanding this correctly that must be why I don’t like playing through my FR10 at the same time as my PS200+4x12 cab… I think the FR10 sounds pretty decent by itself especially compared to the Headrush112 I was using before but there was a big disappointment for me in that when I play through it and my 4x12 cab at the same time the FR10 sounds like total crap, I tried changing all the settings and couldn’t figure out why so I’ve only been playing through one or the other but never both at the same time anymore…
So that’s what’s been going on is an out of phase issue???
Yes sir, that is probably exactly the issue.
Try flipping the speaker leads and the horn leads on the FR.

Or if your 4x12 has a single speaker lead from the ps200, you could flip the wiring on one plug. .. without taking the FR apart.

Yes sir, that is probably exactly the issue.
Try flipping the speaker leads and the horn leads on the FR.

Or if your 4x12 has a single speaker lead from the ps200, you could flip the wiring on one plug. .. without taking the FR apart.
I think I’ll just wait for my V2 😊
Good to know that that problem will be fixed. I may have been describing it wrong by saying the one sounded like crap or maybe I said it right all I know is I absolutely did not like the sound of them together at all and it was perplexing me so I’m happy for now to know there is a reason and it wasn’t my imagination and that when I get my spot in the waitlist comes up then I’ll be able to fix it.

Hey everybody. Sorry I was gone the last two days but had to go to Kansas and take my 78 year father in for his cancer treatments. What a tough bird he is! Anyway, I'm catching up on all I missed between the 3 forums I'm following concerning FR12 and the TMP. Only gone two days and I missed you guys so thought I'd drop a quick note. :)
Nice thread right?

I'll check more closely (as in physically, up against the grill), because yes, I could be hearing noise from another source, for sure.
Nope. Sadly, my EVM has a low level hiss. It's not at the level of my FR-10, of course, but still there when it shouldn't be. So, I may well be looking to reserve that for a PA speaker. Just so people can be aware, it was purchased from Sam Ash (yes, yes, I know... but could have happened from GC or MF too).

Last edited:
My current pseudo-stereo rig (when I come to my senses and realize I can get 90% there and do essentially everything I would ever need with the FX8 instead of 10-12 pedals plus a switcher...).

You'll notice that in this current set up, it is not true stereo. I'm just using the P-Split to send the speaker sim out of the Ethos CFD to 2 speakers. I picked up a Cabzeus and was playing around with that using individual pedals in a full stereo rig (Norm out from the ECFD). That was a lot of fun.

Also, by comparison, if I hold Niosh SLM (sound level meter) up to the grill of each cab, FR-10 measures 38+ dB and the EV is around 34 dB (that's with the noise of me holding it while trying to measure). That is at a reasonably low basement volume level. Also, that's not an accurate measurement, given the ambient sound. The actual noise level difference is more significant, as in, the FR-10 hiss is much louder.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My current stereo rig (when I come to my senses and realize I can get 90% there and do essentially everything I would ever need with the FX8 instead of 10-12 pedals plus a switcher...).

Also, by comparison, if I hold Niosh SLM (sound level meter) up to the grill of each cab, FR-10 measures 38+ dB and the EV is around 34 dB (that's with the noise of me holding it while trying to measure). That is at a reasonably low basement volume level.
That Ethos/deluxe pedal is really cool!

That Ethos/deluxe pedal is really cool!
It's soooooooo good! The real deal. If the lo/high gain was footswitchable and the PAB affected both the clean and OD channels, it would be the perfect amp pedal.

The HRM does take it from Fender/Dumble territory into more along Marshall tones. Robbie's post eq controls are highly effective and well-thought out.

Last edited:
installed the v2 today, and of course, i forgot to take more than one picture ...
was a really easy process and took just took about 10 minutes or so.
so far i can say there is no hiss, but i will try to measure that with an app
later, when the computer is off and its quiet.
love the controls and the sound, again, thanks liam!

IMG_5277.jpg

Back
Top Bottom