Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta #2 (Cygnus X-3 Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/25p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_25p00_beta3.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-3” amp modeling:

• Improved preamp algorithms.
  • Improved power amp algorithms.
  • Improved output transformer loss modeling.
  • Improved preamp supply voltage modeling.
  • Nearly all amp models have been “remastered” as a result of new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
As a consequence of the new modeling many default parameter values have been changed. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new parameter values upon recall. The updated parameters are:

• Preamp Low Cut Freq
  • Preamp Hi Cut Freq
  • Triode1/2 Plate Frequency
  • All Cathode Follower parameters
  • Preamp Bias
  • Preamp Bias Excursion
  • PI Bias Excursion
  • Power Tube Bias Excursion
  • Transformer LF/HF
  • Transformer Drive
  • Power Tube Grid Bias
  • Cathode Resistance
  • Cathode Time Constant
  • Negative Feedback
  • Supply Sag
Added “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.

Improved Input block Noise Gate.

Improved Classic Expander and Modern Expander types in Gate block.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.

Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.

Fixed global settings not recalled if MIDI data is present on the MIDI In jack during bootup.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Me luv u lonnnnnngggg time......

Theres something to be said about getting what you want, and just moving on, versus having to chime in and spike the football. 🤷‍♂️ Thats where the comment came from imo.

I was joking...gotta have (at least) one smarta$$ in every crowd...right?

For me, I'm waiting for the general release. Got all my preset values loaded in a G sheet for reference/tweaking.
Yup, got the joke. I was adding one more layer of smartass, just for more fun.
Played the latest firmware with the FA presets most of the night. Haven't noticed any glitches or bugs.

With the the FW 25.00 I also think there's less need for massive low cuts, especially with the 3rd party OwnHammer IR:s I currently use. I felt the same with FW 24 (or FW 23 - don't remember) when using the Dyna Cabs and now with 3rd party IR:s and FW 25.00.

I'm able to decrease the low cut from 130-150 hz and 24 db/oct to around 110-130 hz at 12 db/oct. On my system, historically, I always needed massive low cuts to tame the low end on my high gain presets. Now I don't need to and it's easier to get a fuller sound.

Apart from that the FW 25.00 sounds stellar. Love how the high end is modelled!

Last edited:
I recovered my AXE FX III to 24.05, restored the presets from backup, made recordings, installed 25b3, opened and stored the presets and made recordings again. There are no big differences when I compare the both recordings but the 25b3 is better, more alive, more higher frequencies, more dynamic, not such straight, more interisting to listen (!), like a real 1959 SLP. I like it more and can not say it's a modeler, it's a 1959 SLP! Thanks a lot, well done FAS!

Last edited:
I recovered my AXE FX III to 24.05, restored the presets from backup, made recordings, installed 25b3, opened and stored the presets and made recordings again. There are no big differences when I compare the both recordings but the 25b3 is better, more alive, more higher frequencies, more dynamic, not such straight, more interisting to listen (!), like a real 1959 SLP. I like it more and can not say it's a modeler, it's a 1959 SLP! Thanks a lot, well done FAS!
Who is interested in the files, but I'm currently ill, totally tired, had cold hands in the morning and kids who disturbed me all the time - well no masterpiece: https://c.gmx.net/@328104898732228752/hAnvJNvEQpOmI6FFn3Tfig
You can get the password via PN.
Preset: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-dc-angus-young-sound-with-axe-fx-iii.199932/ w/o ribbon mic.

Last edited:
If it's there and remains at its default value it will be replaced. That's what we've seen in the past.

@FractalAudio can we get a ruling por favor?
If you think I was unclear, look at your reply...
What are you even talking about here...?

I'm saying that whichever of someone's "beloved parameter settings" that is in the list of parameters that will be updated, it will be replaced, whatever value it is (even if it's the same value, a previous default, etc). I'd say the info is clear on that. In that case nothing has to be corrected about what I stated.

Last edited:
Nothing asshole about what you said. Somebody needs their morning coffee…
I have a TON of experience with this kind of humor... :p (Al's) (and not being natively English). You can be assured that if there are options, people will project the most ill-intended option onto you... :( (thereby often revealing who they are or the stress they are under)

I can see the harmless option too in what Al said -- the other one might be interpreted as risky/naughty, which is not always clear when you're posting it, unless one does have ill intentions.

"Well i guess some people were right to complain about the fender models and the gates ;)" >>

The harmless option here is that he is simply expressing happiness about some people's remarks leading to extra candy and fixes -- a pure good-humored joke.

People who misjudge these cases also totally disregard clarifying emoticons, which indeed often don't guarantee there is only good intention, but still... -- they are a factor to be considered.

Most people fall victim to this, so not having a go at Cliff. In theory he might be right and some things may depend on their personal history. You could even say that Al has not denied he went for the risky version..? ;) That still doesn't have to mean it's an attack out of longstanding frustrations, but for many reasons I understand someone can take it that way. That can be very painful for someone who meant no harm yet still wants to stay himself and not try to predict every angle another person may project into it... If this makes someone a love or hate personality, at least they are also loved ;)

I :loveletter: Al and Cliff :kiss: (both programmers who will be extra sensitive to certain traits of many people)

Last edited:
This is just a masterpiece Cliff!

Previously I felt it I needed to get the perfect combination of settings to get the tone I was after. When I did though it sounded exactly like I expect recorded guitar to sound like.

This firmware makes it hard to make it sound bad. Which is great I'm finding usable tones on any amp at low, mid and high gain, bass seems more controlled, treble seems sweeter.

Adjusting the speaker controls now work great for getting that last 5% of the feel.
For those of you who think things have been getting "darker" try adjusting the speaker controls, I find they add different kinds of "brightness" to the tone, which before was probably too much but now it's just right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom