Brand and model of FM3, FM9 and AxeFX III CPU

Processors-wise: Compared to the FM9 SC-587 pairs (still more powerful DSP-wise than the asymetric QC SC-589 + SC-573 pair IMO), AD seems to offer soon a new 1Ghz SC-594 (with up to 2MB L2 SRAM!) beast that also features enhanced FIIR FIR/IIR offload engines running at Core clock frequency for added processing power (in theory a pair of these could provide more power than an axe FX3?). The A5 also features a 1Ghz clock that could maybe help with the latency on the USB interfaces, not sure about that.

Last edited:
Look man, I know what you're thinking and the answer is yes, the Axe 3 can probably run Doom.
It's been already done many times on arm architectures example: search for arm-doom on github.

More seriously, though I imagine a sc-594 pair could not only greatly help on dsp processing capabilities (while also featuring hardware accelerated FIR/IIR) but could maybe help getting less USB latency / digital signal output latency(?) ... could really be a great fm9 turbo!

Last edited:
You can just say “I don't know”, no reason to deflect. When you buy a computer, don’t you want to know the processor?
It's not the same.
When I look at getting a PC I know I'm going to be using the same OS and apps on them. That's not the case here.

Not sure where it was mentioned, but Cliff & Co do not overclock their CPUs. I think it's ill-advised as it shortens the life of chip, and they seem to take pride in their reliability.
It also increases the chance of errors.

Processors-wise: Compared to the FM9 SC-587 pairs (still more powerful DSP-wise than the asymetric QC SC-589 + SC-573 pair IMO), AD seems to offer soon a new 1Ghz SC-594 (with up to 2MB L2 SRAM!) beast that also features enhanced FIIR FIR/IIR offload engines running at Core clock frequency for added processing power (in theory a pair of these could provide more power than an axe FX3?). The A5 also features a 1Ghz clock that could maybe help with the latency on the USB interfaces, not sure about that.
I highly doubt a pair of SC-594s would be more powerful than an Axe-Fx III. The SHARC architecture is pretty long in the tooth and clock-for-clock is about 2.4 times slower than the TI architecture. Also, the DRAM interface on the "Griffin" chips is slower and only 16 bits wide (vs. 32 for TI).

Frankly we've been underwhelmed with the latest Analog Devices offerings. Performance is lackluster, the ARM core is primitive (old A5), slow DDR bus and the tools are atrocious (I'm talking so bad ADI should be ashamed). They've been rehashing the same processor core for two decades and it shows. But they're the only game in town right now for DSPs that don't need heatsinks.

Cliff said it won't be as powerful as the TI chips inside the axe, but a couple of those could get us pretty close to a floor version of the axe fx since that should basically be double the power.

Maybe we'll see it come true in a few years, but I think it'll more likely come with a new product rather than an FM9/FM3 turbo, from the datasheets it seems it has some different I/O so probably different pinout too, and that would mean requiring a brand new motherboard design..

No one is getting "hammered". I'm simply replying in support of what Chris said that specs don't tell the whole story. The code itself is just as if not more important when it comes to proprietary embedded systems, so he was right on the money. No guff intended.
In fairness, the OP wasn’t asking the for ”the whole story”. The software is of course a vital component of any modeler. However there is a significant difference between hardware and software: the latter can be changed and improved after the purchase (in fact, my FM3 has improved significantly over time). Hardware can generally not be expanded. The quality of the DISP is therefore dictating the outer limit of how much the unit will be able to improve through firmware updates. It’s therefore not a completely trivial piece of information if you are (as I am) considering the purchase of an FM9.

Yep. Behringer digital mixers have proven the OSC protocol is the way to go for remote controlling hardware, imho.
I'm thinking with a small, maybe four port switch in the unit, it could talk to a host computer and two FC units. But the FC would have to have separate power. I expect that Power over Ethernet probably wouldn't be a good choice in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom