Kemper Player is out, so pretty much all the competition now has a mini 3 button product… still no Fractal FM3 Lite???

the thing is you actually don't have all that many choices , if you look at manual its very limited compared to the Stage as far as effects , there is like 2 boss chorus , 3 delay a single , double tap and legacy , 3 verbs Hall, Room and spring I think
I think the pitch block is extra, outside of the available FX blocks? So that's good. Other than that; it's a pretty dumb hobbling overall of something that is ancient. I get why they tout that as a badge of honor (in more flattering descriptors, of course); but it is what it is. If it was below that magic $500 mark timbuk73 style; it would be a much more attractive device. It isn't so it's not :p

Hey, these companies keep squeezing juice out of an ancient lemon, and people keep drinking it... big profits/low overhead for repackaging decade+ old tech. Would be the equivalent of FAS releasing an Ultra in a compact pedal.

Hey, these companies keep squeezing juice out of an ancient lemon, and people keep drinking it... big profits/low overhead for repackaging decade+ old tech. Would be the equivalent of FAS releasing an Ultra in a compact pedal.
Right, the original profile goes back to 2011.... but, that little Kemper player sounds pretty good;)

I like Kemper, had one for a long time but switched to Fractal. I play mostly clean amps and I love quality Reverb. I feel the Fractal Reverb is better but others may disagree. The ToneX is fine for something similar to this Kemper and some have said it profiles even better. I think the Tonex sounds great depending on the profile. I've done my own amps and it does a great job (the software that is) plus you get the plug-in which I often use, especially when practicing. I do not like the Tonex effects, but you can pair it with a good Reverb Pedal and be fine for about the same price as this Kemper. When I use it as a plug-in, I have awesome Reverb plug-ins I pair it with by Lexicon and Exponential Audio.

I wish the the FM3 had 2x12” speakers, a birch ply cabinet and a road case. Otherwise, I thought it was fine the way it is 😎. It fits in a backpack and, as someone else said, the FM3 uses an IEC cable instead of a wall wart. Power supplies take up space. Wall warts seem amateur at this level.

FM3 may be the best affordable modeller, but it's not lightweight by today's standards. Almost any other new modeller weights less than FM3 by great degree.

Still really want to buy FM3 Mini or something like that for grab-and-go purposes. Kemper Profile Player may be the way to go, but I would like to stay Fractal.

All jokes aside, I understand this is not fractal’s business model, and I’m not a big UA fan, but the success of their amp modeling pedals is undeniable. They’re getting $400 per amp model for their pedalboard-friendly stereo I/O pedals with no screens. There is a huge market of people who use pedals, but want to go direct in mono or stereo without fiddling with screens and IRs. HX Stomp is a middle ground and also a huge success, I see them on pedalboards every festival we play. The power supply only sucks if you’re using it standalone, which is an unusual use case.

Last edited:
FM3 may be the best affordable modeller, but it's not lightweight by today's standards. Almost any other new modeller weights less than FM3 by great degree.

Still really want to buy FM3 Mini or something like that for grab-and-go purposes. Kemper Profile Player may be the way to go, but I would like to stay Fractal.
FM3 is heavy because it is meant to withstand the road. It is a well-built, capable unit that I don't have to baby. The HX Stomp feels like a toy in comparison. Plus, the weight ensures that it doesn't move around on stage when you hit the switches. I'm good.

Those others sound great, but the Fractal stuff is next level. We all know that.

If FAS released a stripped down mini unit with:

• 5 or 6 classic/must have amps
  • 5 or 6 classic/must have effects
  • 5 or 6 classic/must have cab/IR’s
  • OR with less available blocks to keep memory/DSP down

…they would utterly slaughter the competition and make a metric buttload of cash.
Your "5 or 6 classic/must have" amps, effects, or cabs will be different from the next guy's "must haves".

Your "5 or 6 classic/must have" amps, effects, or cabs will be different from the next guy's "must haves".

That's why profiles makes a lot of sense since Fractal (or other modelers) cannot possibly model every amp everyone wants. The amps I want might not even at all exist in Fractal (not saying they don't), in that scenario it is useless that Fractal has 200+ amps if they don't have the ones I want. Profiles let's you get exactly the amp you want, albeit with a lot of less editing power since it's not modeled.

That's why profiles makes a lot of sense since Fractal (or other modelers) cannot possibly model every amp everyone wants. The amps I want might not even at all exist in Fractal (not saying they don't), in that scenario it is useless that Fractal has 200+ amps if they don't have the ones I want. Profiles let's you get exactly the amp you want, albeit with a lot of less editing power since it's not modeled.
You also have to want one that someone has profiled exactly how you'd like it, and in many cases, you have to pay to try out the ones on offer.

You're oversimplifying it. As Dave Merrill stated, you're profile needs to be set up the way you want. After it's done the tweaking is very limited. You'll need access to the actual amp to get "your" profile.

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Back
Top Bottom