Adventures in Accuracy

Very impressive and very refreshing in respect to other companies employing hype and marketing instead of actually bothering to concentrate on the accuracy of their products.

Addendum: I dig that you test with a low energy pulse as well.

I love showing people how well the Fractal responds to volume changes on my guitar. More so: I love being able to ride the volume control on my guitars to change what I'm getting out of my Fractal tech and enjoying hearing it change the same way the IRL amps and pedals change when I do this. I've been running with my Telecaster exclusively for the past few months and doing more volume and tone knob manipulation on simpler presets to vary my gain and tone. It's truly wonderful.
YES. This is where FAS sets itself apart. I use my guitar volume control a lot, and the Fractal response to signal nuance is amazing.

Spent an hour or so comparing a couple drive pedals. The comparisons are done at two excitation levels: high and low with low being 40dB lower. All knobs at noon.

Here we have the Axe-Fx vs. a Klon:

View attachment 130096
Blue and orange are the Klon.

And here we have another modeler vs. the Klon:

View attachment 130098

Here we the Nobels ODR-1 vs. a preliminary model on the Axe-Fx:

View attachment 130099

And here we have the ODR1 vs. the other modeler:

View attachment 130100
Show off…

Funny, just one year ago I would have said and thought F.... that f.... modelers, they are all crazy, what the f.... are the talking about . Now I have to say.... indeed nothing less than impressive. Looking forward :yum:

I love showing people how well the Fractal responds to volume changes on my guitar. More so: I love being able to ride the volume control on my guitars to change what I'm getting out of my Fractal tech and enjoying hearing it change the same way the IRL amps and pedals change when I do this. I've been running with my Telecaster exclusively for the past few months and doing more volume and tone knob manipulation on simpler presets to vary my gain and tone. It's truly wonderful.

That's the entire reason I settled on Fractal after owning/using other platforms.

I used Marshalls and vintage Fednders for years and never channel switched, so
riding my volume and tone and having a modeller respond like the Fractal to
all of those micro-adjustments was just revelatory for me. It still is. I'll never change
presets/amps/scenes within a song. Maybe kick on/off an OD/Delay. But all variations
in gain and saturation are done at the guitar. So good!

Fractals commitment to accuracy and doing things "right" by throwing as much hardware, etc. as you need to get said accuracy was the push over the cliff for me in 2009 when I finally went down the modelling route.

The no-compromise approach is paramount for me, and if there was no Fractal stuff I'd likely not be into modelling rigs at all.

The level of detail and accuracy that Cliff and his team pack into the Fractal algorithms is truly second to none! This is why Fractal presets act and sound so much like their physical counterparts when we use our volume and tone controls and modify our finger action while playing. No other modeler I have ever used comes close!

Last edited:

I never had the problem of playing with too much gain like lots of young rock/metal players do. My first experience with a tube amp was my friend's stepdad's JCM2000 - I lived on the Green channel because of how responsive it was. For some reason, however, for the next 15 years or so I kept on using channel-switching setups until maybe a year ago. Maybe it has something to do with entering my 30s and "getting old" (ha!) but now I basically sit on the SLO Crunch channel and ride my volume knob for cleans.

Actually, now that I think about it, it probably has to do with the fact that I sing lead a lot more often these days... being able to switch tones without looking down is a lot easier than footswitching when you have to keep your mouth in front of a mic.

Back
Top Bottom