Any headless guitar player up in here?

The great part about life is everybody's entitled to their opinion
It's not about opinions it's about facts and evidence . He is telling you about his experience not his opinion . If he then said "all Strandbergs are shit " that would be his opinion.:tearsofjoy:

It's not about opinions it's about facts and evidence . He is telling you about his experience not his opinion . If he then said "all Strandbergs are shit " that would be his opinion
Definitely not saying they are shit.
Overpriced - absolutely, no doubt about that. Terribly overpriced. But not shit, they are not really worse than any other guitar - not any better also.

My opinion is simple: Strandbergs were build to solve the issue with left hand positioning and provide the means to have a guitar in the "ergonomic" position. They are quite successful in this - I'd say the body should be longer for even more proper positioning, but then the guitar wouldn't fit fly requirements. Good judgment about the compromise here.

But "built for playability" - I'd say there are facts, not opinions, suggesting otherwise. Maybe for a particular style, like hybrid picking, or djenting on low strings it's good enough.
Overall, too many things went unaccounted for to consider Strandberg a proper modern age guitar. Just a good take on mixing Steinbergs with Strats. I laughed so hard when they presented "ergo knobs" as a major improvement!

Strandberg themselves recommend NYXL balanced tension strings for the OS7 - okay, they are balanced, but the strings feel like barbed wire by comparison to the Elixers I have used for years and years - maye I have just become overly familiar with the feel of coated strings, but the NYXLs managed to feel both sharp and rusty at the same time fresh from the packet - everyone has different views, and a lot of people seem to like them but honestly for me they are the worst feeling strings I have ever used.

Definitely not saying they are shit.
Overpriced - absolutely, no doubt about that. Terribly overpriced. But not shit, they are not really worse than any other guitar - not any better also.

My opinion is simple: Strandbergs were build to solve the issue with left hand positioning and provide the means to have a guitar in the "ergonomic" position. They are quite successful in this - I'd say the body should be longer for even more proper positioning, but then the guitar wouldn't fit fly requirements. Good judgment about the compromise here.

But "built for playability" - I'd say there are facts, not opinions, suggesting otherwise. Maybe for a particular style, like hybrid picking, or djenting on low strings it's good enough.
Overall, too many things went unaccounted for to consider Strandberg a proper modern age guitar. Just a good take on mixing Steinbergs with Strats. I laughed so hard when they presented "ergo knobs" as a major improvement!
Reality is there aren't many guitars I wouldn't consider "overpriced" - here in Australia a new American Vintage Strat will set you back between $3800 - $4300 AUD.... a Gibson Les Paul other than a Studio about $5K AUD - by comparison my Boden Prog Neck Through cost me about $4700 AUD for a very short run, very limited edition essentially flawless instrument that at least tries to be a guitar for the mid twenty first century rather than a hit or miss retread of a seventy year old design (by the way I also have a 1955 Stratocaster, so it's not like I actually hate that seventy year old design!). PRS? Expensive, but definitely much more for your bucks than Gibson or Fender..... Collings - yep, as good as it gets but here in 'Stralya an i35 will set you back an eye watering $13K AUD - not overpriced for the quality Collings are renowned for but that's what I pay for a car!

Strandberg aren't perfect - they have strange hardware issues that by now should have been solved, but they are to me a bit like the Parker Fly of the 2020s - an instrument pretty much ahead of its time trying to achieve something that current technology doesn't quite support in an economically sustainable manner.

Strandberg themselves recommend NYXL balanced tension strings for the OS7 - okay, they are balanced, but the strings feel like barbed wire by comparison to the Elixers I have used for years and years - maye I have just become overly familiar with the feel of coated strings, but the NYXLs managed to feel both sharp and rusty at the same time fresh from the packet - everyone has different views, and a lot of people seem to like them but honestly for me they are the worst feeling strings I have ever used.
I feel that way about Cobolt ernies but I like NYXLs.

It's not about opinions it's about facts and evidence . He is telling you about his experience not his opinion . If he then said "all Strandbergs are shit " that would be his opinion.:tearsofjoy:

I mean, it sure seemed like that's what was implied by his post, which is what I was responding to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He posted his experience and his evidence sure... but his opinion is pretty obvious from the tone of the post.

I realize my reply may have come off as snarky, but it wasn't really intended to be. He obviously has some strong feelings about his Strandy, and that's fine. I love mine (also a Boden Metal), and I recognize that it's not perfect. None of my guitars are.

but his opinion is pretty obvious from the tone of the post
The tone of my post is the reflection of my huge disappointment with so many things in this guitar. That's my bad, I probably had my hopes too high about having a perfect instrument for ("just") $2K. Maybe it not possible any more - I've bought my G&L S-500 used for about $1K (was 1300 new at that time), and quality and playability-wise it mops a floor with the Strandberg any time of the day. Just another level of literally everything.
I had to let it go because of health issues, before you ask why I'm using Strandberg then.

But my opinion is a mix of good and bad. Ergonomics - good enough. It did help preserve my health, and that's why I keep using it.
But playability - average. Quality - sucks big time. I'm sorry. I hate to be the guy who writes mean things about anything but I am so disappointed with it. I'll switch it to Aristides as soon as I can. I just can't do it right now.

Last edited:
The tone of my post is the reflection of my huge disappointment with so many things in this guitar. That's my bad, I probably had my hopes too high about having a perfect instrument for ("just") $2K. Maybe it not possible any more - I've bought my G&L S-500 used for about $1K (was 1300 new at that time), and quality and playability-wise it mops a floor with the Strandberg any time of the day. Just another level of literally everything.
I had to let it go because of health issues, before you ask why I'm using Strandberg then.

But my opinion is a mix of good and bad. Ergonomics - good enough. It did help preserve my health, and that's why I keep using it.
But playbility - average. Quality - sucks bit time. I'm sorry. I hate to be the guy who writes mean things about anything but I am so disappointed with it. I'll switch it to Aristides as soon as I can. I just can't do it right now.
The Aristides is pure quality BUT it isn't light weight.

Maybe someone in this thread tried one... @Andy Eagle ?
I was wondering if the extra money for a strandberg Plini (not last "telly" version) is worth over a regular prog version...

At those prices, there shouldn't be any QC issues

I think there's a strong case to make that argument, but the reality is even $4000+ CS guitars can have quality control issues. These things happen. It's all a matter of what you're willing to accept. My Strandberg had a nut that sat a bit too high, so the open strings buzzed on the first fret. That didn't bother me because I do amateur luthier work and had no problem filing those slots down. But for somebody else, that might be a deal breaker.

The bottom line is, no matter how much $$$ you spend on a guitar, you shouldn't have to keep it if you're not happy with it.

I think there's a strong case to make that argument, but the reality is even $4000+ CS guitars can have quality control issues. These things happen. It's all a matter of what you're willing to accept. My Strandberg had a nut that sat a bit too high, so the open strings buzzed on the first fret. That didn't bother me because I do amateur luthier work and had no problem filing those slots down. But for somebody else, that might be a deal breaker.

The bottom line is, no matter how much $$$ you spend on a guitar, you shouldn't have to keep it if you're not happy with it.
That's true. But, there are companies that do a consistently good QC and others that don't.

Back
Top Bottom