2290 repeat issue

marc0810

Inspired
Hey guys was building a simple preset using the 2290 in the delay block. I know one of the oddities of this unit was the phase reverse. On default settings it’s set to phase reverse right, however I get no repeats on this setting. I am not at my computer right now but my signal was amp-cab-delay-reverb-out1. The reverb input was set to left and right..but even with it out of the chain I am not getting repeats unless I set phase reverse to none or both.

Hey guys was building a simple preset using the 2290 in the delay block. I know one of the oddities of this unit was the phase reverse. On default settings it’s set to phase reverse right, however I get no repeats on this setting. I am not at my computer right now but my signal was amp-cab-delay-reverb-out1. The reverb input was set to left and right..but even with it out of the chain I am not getting repeats unless I set phase reverse to none or both.
That can only mean that something is collapsing the signal to mono, it could be output settings or some other device you're connected to

@marc0810 Did you try searching the forum before posting?
This is a very common question!
I did, first way I searched didn’t turn up anything but I found some other stuff. @DLC86 No blocks afterwards collapsing it to mono. Might check some external monitoring when I get home. Someone may have changed something on my mixer by mistake.

Congratulations, you're now an official Fractal user- it's not a bug, that's how the 2290 works because the L and R of the delay are opposite phase, just like the real unit. Like @DLC86 said, you're collapsing to mono somewhere. Check your Global Output settings to make sure you're not set on Sum L+R. If you're monitoring in mono, that would do it too- to use the 2290 in mono, you have to set the phase reverse to none, or both, like you mentioned.

Consider this a rite of passage!

If you enter the OPs' thread title into the search box, you get two or three results of threads asking the same question.

How do you suggest you search for this? What terms would you use?
Heh, well you're right, it's trickier to find than one might hope, if you don't already know it's a phase cancellation issue so you don't use those words.

I apologize for my kind of impatient sounding response. Not your fault, but it actually IS a common question, as you've seen from the "rite of passage" replies.

That said, this Fred Flintstone search did actually find relevant hits though:
2290 "no delay"

Heh, well you're right, it's trickier to find than one might hope, if you don't already know it's a phase cancellation issue so you don't use those words.

I apologize for my kind of impatient sounding response. Not your fault, but it actually IS a common question, as you've seen from the "rite of passage" replies.

That said, this Fred Flintstone search did actually find relevant hits though:
2290 "no delay"
It’s all good no offense taken! Like I said I am going to check external stuff…because I know on the fractal all my routing is set right, (output set to stereo, no mono blocks afterwards etc)

Congratulations, you're now an official Fractal user- it's not a bug, that's how the 2290 works because the L and R of the delay are opposite phase, just like the real unit. Like @DLC86 said, you're collapsing to mono somewhere. Check your Global Output settings to make sure you're not set on Sum L+R. If you're monitoring in mono, that would do it too- to use the 2290 in mono, you have to set the phase reverse to none, or both, like you mentioned.

Consider this a rite of passage!
Yeah I know like I said internal everything looks to be correct. (No mono blocks, output set to stereo etc) so I am going to check external, nothing should have changed but someone could have messed with mixer settings accidentally.

It’s all good no offense taken! Like I said I am going to check external stuff…because I know on the fractal all my routing is set right, (output set to stereo, no mono blocks afterwards etc)
Maybe first verify that ping-pong delays actually ping and pong, or panning stuff pans, through the whole chain including the mixer, speakers, everything, before you look for the mono-collapse causes you have top of mind.

Yeah I know like I said internal everything looks to be correct. (No mono blocks, output set to stereo etc) so I am going to check external, nothing should have changed but someone could have messed with mixer settings accidentally.

Is the Cab block before or after the Delay block? Try disabling the Cab block and seeing if the delay is still collapsed to mono.

Back
Top Bottom