Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.02 Public Beta (Beta 2)

I asked on the FM9 forum awhile back how to tweak the SD-1 model to sound closer to the OD-1. And now, here it is. Seriously hoping it makes it to the FM9.

I believe I've run into two bugs, presumably with Axe Edit compatibility with the new firmware:
1) I've been unable to switch the Input Boost ON via Axe Edit.
2) In certain (unidentified) circumstances, the GATE block appears blank and switching types reverts to default.

The new Modern Expander is dope. I've been enjoying it to keep high gain rhythm tones really tight and chuggy. I'll probably play more this weekend with it after the amp/cab blocks in a more djent like tone.

Thanks Cliff + team for the awesome new features!

I believe I've run into two bugs, presumably with Axe Edit compatibility with the new firmware:
1) I've been unable to switch the Input Boost ON via Axe Edit.
2) In certain (unidentified) circumstances, the GATE block appears blank and switching types reverts to default.

The new Modern Expander is dope. I've been enjoying it to keep high gain rhythm tones really tight and chuggy. I'll probably play more this weekend with it after the amp/cab blocks in a more djent like tone.

Thanks Cliff + team for the awesome new features!
The Input Boost is working for me on several presets I tried in Axe Edit, including using the new 59 Bassguy RI Jumped model. Maybe a modifier is attached?

Can confirm the bug in the Gate block:

1. Save a preset with the 'Modern Expander' type selected in the Gate block
2. Select a different preset, then go back to the original preset.

The Gate block type changes from 'Modern Expander' to 'Classic Expander' and the parameters field is blank. Select any other type including the 'Classic Expander' and the parameters reappear.

Seems to work fine if one of the other 3 Gate types are selected before saving. The bug does not seem to occur when using the 'Modern Expander' in different scenes.

At what volume were you playing? Sustain is often a result of acoustic feedback from the speaker to the guitar. IEMs or low volume can directly affect that.
Correct. IEMs on a silent stage. I actually had a pretty loud monitor as well coming straight from the Axe but it’s possible my patch needs work

Reactions: ARF
Correct. IEMs on a silent stage. I actually had a pretty loud monitor as well coming straight from the Axe but it’s possible my patch needs work
The last paragraph in https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-modelers-dont-clean-up-with-the-volume-knob-myth.154557/ might be helpful.

There are various ways to get sustain, but speaker volume affecting the guitar’s strings is the most natural sounding. Trying to use electronics can help but it’s still not going to be the same and, once you’re used to having the guitar and amp talking together those other things just don’t feel right. Watch out for chorus, flanger, or even delay, anything that can shift the pitch or delay the note until it's out of phase can cause the string’s vibration to be canceled, killing sustain.

Last edited:
The last paragraph in https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-modelers-dont-clean-up-with-the-volume-knob-myth.154557/ might be helpful.

There are various ways to get sustain, but speaker volume affecting the guitar’s strings is the most natural sounding. Trying to use electronics can help but it’s still not going to be the same and, once you’re used to having the guitar and amp talking together those other things just don’t feel right. Watch out for chorus, flanger, or even delay, anything that can shift the pitch can cause the string’s vibration to be cancelled, killing sustain.
Ah, interesting! It’s seriously the only missing piece for me. Things sound exactly like an amp as far as I’m concerned- in fact better, more consistent- except for that sustain. I haven’t spent much time on it, but it’s probably time to have a go with this update. As an example, the chorus bend lick for Sex on Fire doesn’t quite make it to the end of the bar. I do play fairly low gain and I’m going back from straight IEM to also having a wedge in order to get that sonic coupling happening. Maybe I just need to get in the beam!

Back
Top Bottom