How do you guys start a preset from scratch?

GuyJames

Inspired
For instance, I really liked building a preset around the factory tweaked "ODS-100 Clean" preset but loading the stock ODS-100 amp isn't quite as nice upfront. I guess I could compare what the factory tweaks are compared to the stock flat settings and get a better idea of how the amp reacts to tweaks but the factory tweaks are pretty nice for me. I'm still intimated tweaking things and there's just parameters I don't know what do with so I stick to the basics.

Curious about your guys approach.

I start with a basic In -> Amp -> Cab -> Out layout then adjust the Amp EQ with the sound at stage volume. Once that’s set I start adding the other blocks and pretty much leave the amp alone, similar to what I’d do with my tube amps. Auditioning the sound loud is important; Once the basic sound is right everything else will start to fall into place.

Roam through the factory presets for ideas and examples, save blocks to the Block library for reuse, or copy one and paste it into another preset.

Get familiar with the Snapshot tool in the editor, it can really help when A/B-ing changes.

For instance, I really liked building a preset around the factory tweaked "ODS-100 Clean" preset but loading the stock ODS-100 amp isn't quite as nice upfront. I guess I could compare what the factory tweaks are compared to the stock flat settings and get a better idea of how the amp reacts to tweaks but the factory tweaks are pretty nice for me. I'm still intimated tweaking things and there's just parameters I don't know what do with so I stick to the basics.

Remember that there are many ODS style amps modeled in the system so search Yek’s amp guide and compare them. The Fuchs and Carol Ann based amps are worth checking out. Alan Phillips, who built the Carol Ann amps worked with Cliff to try to replicate the sound of the amps.

The factory ODS-based presets, like the real amp, need to be running loud to get the guitar interacting with the speaker and reinforcing the gain, even for a clean sound. See Setting the master volume and Understanding All the Different Gain Controls along with The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth for ideas. Also remember that the knob settings on the amp don’t necessarily correspond to the same settings in the model so adjust them to your taste.

The ODS-100 preset and the ODS-100 Ford models, are based on Robben Ford’s amp and is a nice starting place. @Burgs uses that model often so watch some of his videos then grab his shared presets and build upon them. Again, volume is important, and that’s when they come alive. I have a couple presets based on that model and had the chance to sit and listen to a friend of mine playing through one for about 30 minutes one night and we were both very impressed with its sound and how it feels.

Last edited:
Input block, output block, chain together. I usually use a template though that has the "virtual" pedalboard type stuff, swap the amps and cabs, tweak a bit and go.

I do the quick build to get all the blocks I think I need. After that I start with the amp/cab block, then go to reverbs/delays, then drives, then modulation.

A lot of times I will scroll through presets just listing for a sound or an effect I like. Once I fined something I will mute out all of the effects and focus strictly on the tone making changes until I'm happy. I then will add back effects or delete and add others until I'm satisfied with what I have.

Other times I will just do the Amp and Cab thing and go from there.

The factory ODS-based presets, like the real amp, needs to be running loud to get the guitar interacting with the speaker and reinforcing the gain, even for a clean sound. See Setting the master volume and Understanding All the Different Gain Controls along with The "Modelers Don't Clean Up with the Volume Knob" Myth for ideas. Also remember that the knob settings on the amp don’t necessarily correspond to the same settings in the model so adjust them to your taste.
Greg, thank you very much for sharing those links. Very interesting and relevant.

Make a copy of the ODS preset you like and have at it. Put a looper directly after the input with the playback level at 0db so you can record a loop and make hands free adjustments. Make the preset your own with the drives, amps, cabs, reverb and delays etc that you like. Use this preset as a template. Then copy that and try some other amp blocks and effects and cabs. When you have a block dialed in to your liking, save it. Leave your original preset alone so you can come back to it. You can’t blow it up so have fun with it.

I spend a lot of time A/B'ing models with real amps and generally turning knobs on amp models. I turn off everything but the amp. I also look at the settings on presets I like. I don't get into the deep functions, just the amp-specific or ideal tone layouts. For effects, I tend to have settings I like, so those are just blocks I drop in.

I saw a video a while back where the guy picked an amp model he liked, and then auditioned a bunch of cab IRs before adjusting the amp settings. IME, the cab is responsible for about 60% of the tone and dynamics. It's a bit of grunt-work, but the amp controls really don't get you there with the wrong cab.

This video helped me get started...and helped with the "ergh" factor of dialing in via trial and error...

I saw a video a while back where the guy picked an amp model he liked, and then auditioned a bunch of cab IRs before adjusting the amp settings. IME, the cab is responsible for about 60% of the tone and dynamics. It's a bit of grunt-work, but the amp controls really don't get you there with the wrong cab.
Yes, the right cab makes a huge difference and sometimes something else will sound better than ones that seem like the obvious choices.

As others have said I start with in amp cab out and tweak the raw amp tones till they sound great
The next step and highly recommended set up your tone library so if you want your Petrucci wah , EVH Flanger , Eventide Micro pitch , Etc etc you can just load them up

I have some semi kitchen sink presets that have the effects I want in a useful arrangement, plus one or two each amp and cab. I'll make a copy of that to start.

If I'm checking out a new to me amp, I'll just change the amp to it and go.

Or, I'll try a factory or user preset, and if I find one I like, copy the amp(s) and cab(s) and maybe drive(s) over the ones in the kitchen sink copy, tweak channels for each scene if needed, check it out, and adjust to taste.

Occasionally I'll start from total scratch, but why, when I probably want the usual suspects along?

Last edited:
I usually load a template that has my standard setup in it, then just change the amp and/or add in any other effects I plan on using.

Going to echo the previous statement about finding the right IR first; I think a lot of people find an IR that gets them in the ballpark with the hope of the knobs getting the rest of the way there, while that’s not impossible by any means, it seems some people will just stick with that same IR then get frustrated they can’t get a good tone out of it, when they could have found a killer IR right up front and gotten where they want to go without the tweaking.

For most amps I just leave the knobs at noon while finding the IR, it’s really just Mesa’s that I need to some EQ shaping before hand, especially the Marks, because they act just like they do with the physical amp. I know if I can get 90% of the way there with the knobs at noon, I’m good to go.

I really don't start from scratch anymore, I have a couple of Templates and basic presets I use if I'm checking out an amp model I haven't spent much time with.

However, my process for starting from scratch was to start with just the amp and cab blocks (Input 1 and Output 1 connected in the grid of course) and select the IR(s) that give me the core tone I want. Selecting IRs is the most time consuming part of the preset creating process for me. I try to use speakers/cabs that are typical for a particular amp and often find myself needing to focus on 'that' tone and not end up choosing an IR that makes the amp sound the same as the rest of my presets. After finding the IR, I'll delve into my go-to parameters and fine tune the amp block.

From there, it's pretty much the same as in the analog world; research to find the effects needed to get a particular tone for a song or artist. Add the necessary blocks, find the best model in each block to emulate a given effect and tweak until it sounds right.

I never stop changing IRs on presets. Every time I think I have it nailed I hear it differently and then mess with the IRs again.

Back
Top Bottom