Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries, I am playing a 2022 Music Man Majesty 7, bridge for all crunch/lead, neck and/or piezo for the cleans, knobs dimed on the guitar (roll off volume occasionally to account for quieter parts). I'm happy to share the preset, brother, continued below...

Regarding the harsh thin highs, you're both not wrong. However, one thing I've done particularly on this JCM800 preset is double the cabs in parallel. You'll notice immediately the harshness you hear with a single cab disappears and everything becomes articulate, tight, and thick. What sounded very "tinny" turns into clear responsive highs, and the lows are nice and tight. This preset is setup to sit in a mix, so it's full and tight but it's not that "bedroom range" where it sounds super scooped, awesome to your ears by itself, but so full across the entire spectrum that when you sit in a mix you all but disappear. This is mid-centric but definitely not thin, harsh, or lacking and if you prefer, adding in lower freqs works fine to achieve a heavier low-end or full-spectrum vibe. If I had to define the sound as it is, think 80s/90's Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

The point of this preset was to recreate my JCM 800 2210 sound from the 80's/90's. I used no drives, only the gain on the amp and EQ both for recording and live. This is probably a great jumping off point for anyone to turn the JCM800 into something more personally theirs...add drives, tweak settings, etc, but as it stands, this is pretty damned close to what I toured and recorded with for many years. Sure it can be improved upon further and I'll tweak it more as I go, but this is very satisfying currently and I hope you enjoy it. As indicated earlier, the YA cab I mentioned and use is absolutely brilliant in this setup and is somewhat crucial to getting it "perfect" to my ears, but perhaps one can find a factory cab to do the job or that they prefer more. I'd HIGHLY recommend if you dig this, then go show some love to @York Audio and drop the $15US for the YA MRSH 412 Pack, it's really REALLY solid and you're sure to find other uses for one of the most metal cabs in history! ;)

Lastly, to pull out the YA cab(s), do I just switch it out all the paid IRs with factory cabs then export it? I've never exported a preset to share so I have no idea what the actual mechanics are to exclude my paid IR. I assume I could just copy my preset to an empty slot, sub the cabs for a factory one and export/share that? What is the preferred method?

Alright, I think I answered my own question, and have attached my preset to this post. I just nuked all the paid IRs in various cab slots and picked a factory 4x12 1960A 300w Shure 57 to replace them. It's not the same as the YA IR I am in love with, but it's not very far off and should at least get you somewhere in the ballpark so you can choose a more favorable cab to your own ears, or...just buy that YA cab set, what a bargain!

Hope someone finds it useful, and be well all!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Wah block in here is a little bonus, A is the Cantrell wah, and B is the Petrucci wah! :D
I'll def check your preset out. Thx !

I also had a 2210 back in the day and to this day regret selling it - and that was eons ago. Hehehe.

I bought it in Germany and was told it was modded but I haven't a clue how. That thing was a fire-breathing lot of fun to play and sounded amazing.

Oh I'm a dunce....

I kept up with all the betas up to 7, while making some minor tweaks each beta to my main presets. Download the FW today and since I've been using my 7-string for a couple new songs, I just opened my main Dual Rec/IIC++ dual amp preset, open two new tracks and record the guitars really quick just to check the difference. Whle I'm playing it sounds all scratchy, mids are funky and there's no definition in the low end.

I then spend 90 minutes tweaking and making new presets trying to get around this and start thinking "Oh no....has an update really pushed me that far away from the killer tones I had before?!" Then I glance down at my guitar and the EMG logo jumped out on my bridge pickup.

Derp derp.

I hadn't changed the battery since I've had it over a year ago. All good now! :tearsofjoy:

I also had a 2210 back in the day and to this day regret selling it - and that was eons ago. Hehehe.

I bought it in Germany and was told it was modded but I haven't a clue how. That thing was a fire-breathing lot of fun to play and sounded amazing.

Excellent, hope it gets you to a fond memory or two! Its nice to meet another 2210 fan! I too absolutely loved mine, it was IMO the best Marshall I've ever owned and I cherished that amp like it was tone royalty. I believe I picked mine up in 84, soooo long ago. The goofy footswitch you HAD to have to switch between crunch/lead always worried me before every gig, so I purchased a spare to gig with just in case. It was just wacky there was no button on the head, "no footswitch, no red channel!!". That gain was perfect for the era and with this new firmware its getting real close to a perfect replica!

No worries, I am playing a 2022 Music Man Majesty 7, bridge for all crunch/lead, neck and/or piezo for the cleans, knobs dimed on the guitar (roll off volume occasionally to account for quieter parts). I'm happy to share the preset, brother, continued below...

Regarding the harsh thin highs, you're both not wrong. However, one thing I've done particularly on this JCM800 preset is double the cabs in parallel. You'll notice immediately the harshness you hear with a single cab disappears and everything becomes articulate, tight, and thick. What sounded very "tinny" turns into clear responsive highs, and the lows are nice and tight. This preset is setup to sit in a mix, so it's full and tight but it's not that "bedroom range" where it sounds super scooped, awesome to your ears by itself, but so full across the entire spectrum that when you sit in a mix you all but disappear. This is mid-centric but definitely not thin, harsh, or lacking and if you prefer, adding in lower freqs works fine to achieve a heavier low-end or full-spectrum vibe. If I had to define the sound as it is, think 80s/90's Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

The point of this preset was to recreate my JCM 800 2210 sound from the 80's/90's. I used no drives, only the gain on the amp and EQ both for recording and live. This is probably a great jumping off point for anyone to turn the JCM800 into something more personally theirs...add drives, tweak settings, etc, but as it stands, this is pretty damned close to what I toured and recorded with for many years. Sure it can be improved upon further and I'll tweak it more as I go, but this is very satisfying currently and I hope you enjoy it. As indicated earlier, the YA cab I mentioned and use is absolutely brilliant in this setup and is somewhat crucial to getting it "perfect" to my ears, but perhaps one can find a factory cab to do the job or that they prefer more. I'd HIGHLY recommend if you dig this, then go show some love to @York Audio and drop the $15US for the YA MRSH 412 Pack, it's really REALLY solid and you're sure to find other uses for one of the most metal cabs in history! ;)

Lastly, to pull out the YA cab(s), do I just switch it out all the paid IRs with factory cabs then export it? I've never exported a preset to share so I have no idea what the actual mechanics are to exclude my paid IR. I assume I could just copy my preset to an empty slot, sub the cabs for a factory one and export/share that? What is the preferred method?

Alright, I think I answered my own question, and have attached my preset to this post. I just nuked all the paid IRs in various cab slots and picked a factory 4x12 1960A 300w Shure 57 to replace them. It's not the same as the YA IR I am in love with, but it's not very far off and should at least get you somewhere in the ballpark so you can choose a more favorable cab to your own ears, or...just buy that YA cab set, what a bargain!

Hope someone finds it useful, and be well all!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Wah block in here is a little bonus, A is the Cantrell wah, and B is the Petrucci wah! :D

Thank you for the preset! It gets good with these settings. And better with the YA IR

There is no need to nuke the user cabs. They are not saved with the preset when you export it to a .syx file. They are only exported with the preset when you use the "Export Preset + CAB Bundle" option

Some 7-string riffage (with a new battery :D) on a new tune I'm working on.

It's a dual amp preset, a Dual Rec and a IIC++, each panned hard left/right. When I do the double track (what I'm doing in the vid) I reverse the sides they're on because I'm OCD about having two different tones on each side, well, with metal stuff anyway. (using 3rd party IR's or I'd give the preset away)

It's a dual amp preset, a Dual Rec and a IIC++, each panned hard left/right. When I do the double track (what I'm doing in the vid) I reverse the sides they're on because I'm OCD about having two different tones on each side, well, with metal stuff anyway. (using 3rd party IR's or I'd give the preset away)

Post without cabs. 🤘🏻

Post without cabs. 🤘🏻

The IIC++ is using factory cabs! The Dual Rec is using two York Audio DV77 IR's. If you're into metal tones, I can't recommend that DV77 pack enough!

Pitch is the Whammy pedal, I have it set to FC Pedal 3. The Out/In 3 is how I get my Freqout pedal into the AxeFX, you can just delete that.
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.22.13 AM.png

Attachments

• IIC++Recto Stereo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
Note Creating New Presets

I noticed that when I select the USA JP IIC+ RED (275,276) models the basic value for GAIN is changed.
If I switch back to another amplifier then the basic value for gain is not 5.0 but 5.7.

With the USA JP IIC+ Yellow (277,278) models the gain value changes to 2.9.
This can also be seen on the IDEAL view on the AFX3 as well as in the editor.
Whether other values are affected ?
If necessary, perform an AMP reset to be on the safe side.

No, unless you save the preset after loading then it's going to reset every time you load as far as my understanding.

Otherwise it would have to save your presets for you after loading.
Can we get some clarification on this? Assuming the presets do not automatically save, is there a reason to or not to save once you load a preset and the new values are updated? Is there a way to "bulk save" everything with the updated values, or is it a one-by-one project?

So it’s essentially a quad track or the two amps summed to one mono track that you record on each side (with the other side reversed) 🤔🤓

Note Creating New Presets

I noticed that when I select the USA JP IIC+ RED (275,276) models the basic value for GAIN is changed.
If I switch back to another amplifier then the basic value for gain is not 5.0 but 5.7.

With the USA JP IIC+ Yellow (277,278) models the gain value changes to 2.9.
This can also be seen on the IDEAL view on the AFX3 as well as in the editor.
Whether other values are affected ?
If necessary, perform an AMP reset to be on the safe side.
I believe that's working as designed. It's setting the fixed internal gain from the amp, but it's not technically fixed in fractal world.

2210 with a Boss OD-2 and a DD-3 sounded great 😁🤘🏼

Sold it in 1994 and bought a Peavey Classic 410.

Tried my old amp in 2009, i think, and was really surprised of how good it sounded after all those years.

So it’s essentially a quad track or the two amps summed to one mono track that you record on each side (with the other side reversed) 🤔🤓

Closer to quad tracking because I’m using stereo tracks. I honestly haven’t even tried summing them to mono, I just open a stereo track in Logic, record the first take then reverse the panning in the cab block and then open a new stereo track and double it. I definitely like being able to see the waveform of both amps in the stereo track as I use that to level the volumes of each amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom