FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean...if you want to use the unit frozen in time. Have at it, sounded great before. If you want the new features, be prepared to update presets which are impacted by any tonal shifts as a result. If one has and uses 400 custom presets and wants the new firmware, there's going to be some misery.
Exactly!

Yes, the device works fine, but the computer does not see it. Through Fractal Bot I also can not downgrade the firmware
You on Windows (have you tried the good old reboot)? Have you tried to re-install the USB drivers? Does FractalBot see the device? No such thing as downgrade. You just load the old firmware.

Yes, the device works fine, but the computer does not see it. Through Fractal Bot I also can not downgrade the firmware
Fractal Bot and FM3Edit both cannot detect your FM3 right? and the unit is totally 100% working but just cannot connect to PC/Mac. I had this problem before, the USB chip is burned. I did send back to Fractal and they help me to fix it. Their support are very good, dont worry too much.

I mean...if you want to use the unit frozen in time. Have at it, sounded great before. If you want the new features, be prepared to update presets which are impacted by any tonal shifts as a result. If one has and uses 400 custom presets and wants the new firmware, there's going to be some misery.
Now to elaborate to address the parts of my comment you didn’t seem to understand. First, life is a huge compromise. Some may say sacrifice. 400+ presets is about the farthest on the extreme side as one could possibly get. These major amp changes have been well past any initial product bugs that have been fixed so it isn’t necessary to update. Personally, the tonal changes are not that big a deal to me. What is a big deal is the tactile feel of the amp modeling. Way more important and is so much better. Fixing EQ stuff is easy. I imagine YMMV based on specific amp models used.

I suppose it might be nice to somehow separate Firmware updates from bug fixes and added FX, etc. from the amp modeling block, but I have a sneaking feeling pulling bits and pieces out of a huge code upgrade is way easier said than done. Other than that I don’t know what people expect.

Last edited:
Fractal Bot и FM3Edit не могут обнаружить ваш FM3, верно? и устройство полностью работает на 100%, но просто не может подключиться к ПК/Mac. У меня была эта проблема раньше, чип USB сгорел. Я отправил обратно в Fractal, и они помогли мне исправить это. Их поддержка очень хороша, не волнуйтесь слишком много.

It is strange that this happened at the time of the update. The thing is that I'm in Ukraine, there is a war here and delivery services do not work very well

Now to elaborate to address the parts of my comment you didn’t seem to understand. First, life is a huge compromise. Some may say sacrifice. 400+ presets is about the farthest on the extreme side as one could possibly get. These major amp changes have been well past any initial product bugs that have been fixed so it isn’t necessary to update. Personally, the tonal changes are not that big a deal to me. What is a big deal is the tactile feel of the amp modeling. Way more important and is so much better. Fixing EQ stuff is easy. I imagine YMMV based on specific amp models used.

I suppose it might be nice to somehow separate Firmware updates from bug fixes and added FX, etc. from the amp modeling block, but I have a sneaking feeling pulling bits and pieces out of a huge code upgrade is way easier than said. Other than that I don’t know what people expect.
You realize he was agreeing w you
And responding to the poster with the 450 songs

Reactions: RLD
You realize he was agreeing w you
And responding to the poster with the 450 songs
No I don’t believe he was. Read his initial comment that I responded to. He was definitely stating his negative opinion about the aspect of Firmware updates that alter the amp models. But we can drop it now!

I don’t get this attitude. If this was some other company you would be buying a new piece of gear and having to start from scratch making presets. No one is forcing anyone to update. It’s not as if the FM3 was not as advertised from the start.
I think he's just indicating that it's not keen to use that many presets as that may imply a lot of tweaking for certain FW evolutions, maybe not well written but not necessarily negative towards FAS?

You on Windows (have you tried the good old reboot)? Have you tried to re-install the USB drivers? Does FractalBot see the device? No such thing as downgrade. You just load the old firmware.
Yes, re-install the USB drivers.
Fractal bot does not see the device

Thanks, Fractal-Bot doesn't see the device either and I can't transfer the firmware to it
Sounds like a USB issue. I would try a different Cable first. Sounds like a canned
response, but USB cables fail frequently. If not the cable, try different USB Ports.
Not sure about Mac USB, but PC USB Ports are finicky. Or, as suggested above,
try reinstalling the USB Drivers (PC). Not sure if Mac requires these...

My approach to FM3-Edit and simultaneous Firmware upgrades in Windows.
  • Backup FM3 (this also makes sure communication is functional)
  • Uninstalled FM3-Edit
  • Reboot PC
  • Install new version of FM3 Edit
  • Reboot again
  • Open FM3-Edit to make sure it installed
  • Close FM-3 Edit
  • Connect and use Fractal Bot to install new firmware (following all instructions in the readme or forum)
  • Leave FM3 turned off for more that 15 seconds (probably not necessary, but I do, more like a minute)
  • Close Fractal Bot
  • Power up FM3
  • Start up FM3-Edit (it should detect new firmware and do a refresh, wait until done)
  • If instructed to do anything else, do them.
  • Have fun!!
I thinks that is my work process and I didn’t forget anything. Some may think it’s excessive, but I’ve learned to never trust Windows or realty any computer or OS.

I think he's just indicating that it's not keen to use that many presets as that may imply a lot of tweaking for certain FW evolutions, maybe not well written but not necessarily negative towards FAS?
You may be correct. I didn’t fully read the quoted comment about all the presets. I thought it was a comment to anyone in general.

I apologize to all involved. I would delete, but that will mess up the chronology and context.

Fractal Bot and FM3Edit both cannot detect your FM3 right? and the unit is totally 100% working but just cannot connect to PC/Mac. I had this problem before, the USB chip is burned. I did send back to Fractal and they help me to fix it. Their support are very good, dont worry too much.

Do you know the marking of the USB chip? Maybe I can change it in Ukraine

Do you know the marking of the USB chip? Maybe I can change it in Ukraine
If you really think something is hosed look in the manual (I think it’s in the manual) to do a hard reset and then hopefully use your back up to get you back to where you were.

Honestly, you've got a point.

There's a lot of software in my life that I just plain don't upgrade until patching it for security things becomes too much of a burden or it stops working. Do I lose out on features? Yes. But, it's more important that they keep working than that they might work better. If that describes you, then there's an obvious solution.

Buy another one.

I'm not kidding, and I'm not shilling for FAS.

It's the same as the idea of development and production copies of software. Use the production one when you actually need it to work. Fool around with the Dev one and "update" things as necessary to try out. If something is significant enough to be worth it, finish the update/upgrade including those tweaks and swap their roles when you're ready.

That's how these things actually work in a professional context.

See below...

Sounds like a USB issue. I would try a different Cable first. Sounds like a canned
response, but USB cables fail frequently. If not the cable, try different USB Ports.
Not sure about Mac USB, but PC USB Ports are finicky. Or, as suggested above,
try reinstalling the USB Drivers (PC). Not sure if Mac requires these...

Yeah, that.

It sounds like you tried a different USB cable. It's also worth making sure that you're using the right version of edit/bot.

Isolate and change everything you can. Reboot the computer, make sure the software versions are correct, use a different cable, use a different USB port, use a different powered hub, etc.. If you have access, use a different computer. You wan to change EVERYTHING except the one thing that absolutely has to be a part of what you're doing (in this case, only the FM3).

If you do all of that and it still doesn't work...contact support. Which, given your situation, might mean you're stuck for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom