Own Two of the Same Guitar?

I have two of any guitar I’m gigging. I’ve done it for decades, and never regret having one ready when a string breaks or just for the variety of picking up a different one. As @Admin M@ notes, no two guitars feel exactly the same, so even two of the same model provide a little variety. Colors are different, so it gives the audience something different to look at as well.

Reactions: JD_
Most definitely. The hard part is R9 or 68RI.
But you are appreciating the difference not trying to find two the same. I mean people who buy two supposedly identical guitars even sequential SN in order to seamlessly swap between the two. You have a choice of favourite similar guitars. I have many favourites and they swap around but no two are the same. I did actually try to do this in my 20s but even though I replicated everything possible I could still tell them apart with my eyes closed.

But you are appreciating the difference not trying to find two the same. I mean people who buy two supposedly identical guitars even sequential SN in order to seamlessly swap between the two. You have a choice of favourite similar guitars. I have many favourites and they swap around but no two are the same. I did actually try to do this in my 20s but even though I replicated everything possible I could still tell them apart with my eyes closed.
To your point, I guess the one Im likely not selling despite getting a great offer on is the favourite 😂

For 13 years my two active guitars were identical except from the colour...kinda like one was the other's backup, which was a waste in my case as I almost always stuck with just one guitar (my favorite) and only used the other whenever there was a problem. Truth to be told, I was still playing with nickel frets back then and I knew the pain of having a guitar refretted so it was more of always having a backup.

Several years after that I refretted both with SS frets so the backup scenario became obsolete. Now they have different bridge pickups, so although I still stick with just one of the two (yes, my favorite!), at least the other is useful when I want to record or play something a little bit different etc.

Also not exact duplicates, but I own 2 of the Forshage Orion headless ergonomic guitars (based on Klein). One shown in my profile pic. I recently sold one that was really cool: Chambered mahogany with walnut top, ebony FB, Lollar P90s. Loved that one! But, I don't play electric much. I may eventually part with this one in my profile pic. We'll see if I can make more time to play...

To the untrained eye, it may look like I have some duplicates. However, none are exactly the same. They have different specs in pickups and wiring as well as some have different hardware components, tuners, bridges, etc.. They are also different finishes. I don't think I have two guitars of the same brand with the same finish.

To the untrained eye, it may look like I have some duplicates. However, none are exactly the same. They have different specs in pickups and wiring as well as some have different hardware components, tuners, bridges, etc.. They are also different finishes. I don't think I have two guitars of the same brand with the same finish.
The big draw for me is how the current one plays and feels. I’ve played examples that also felt great, so I’m sure it would at least be in the same ballpark. I might change pickups out on a 2nd. I’m also all for a different look on a 2nd, but they’re Korina, so there is variation in the visible grain.

Majesty is now my favorite guitar. So much so that I own 2. They're extremely similar with only very slight differences, but none so much to make me prefer one over the other.

Knowing how I am with never breaking strings until they're worn out, and being fine with how the VC works on the Axe III, if I gigged, I'd just tune 1 to drop-D, with a 52 on the low E, and use it for those songs.

Don't even try to get two to be EXACTLY the same. I have had a lot of pro players over the years come to me with this wish and it isn't possible. No matter how similar the two you always have a favourite and the other is only played as a back up. Don't waste time and money chasing this just get something else and embrace the difference. The difference is the point in owning it and where as a back up needs to be able to do the rest of your set it doesn't need to be identical (because it can't be.)
I had two PRS DGT that played and sound so much alike I couldn't tell them apart by listening. One was a Cherryburst 10-top and the other was a Goldtop. The Cherryburst was so pretty it intimidated me so I rarely played it and eventually gave it to my son-in-law so it could intimidate him. :)

I understand people wanting a second guitar like their first to act as a backup, but I prefer having something that gets close but still brings something new to the table. I have the Goldtop still, so for double-humbuckers I have an SC-245, a 509, and a Custom 22 Semi-hollow. They're somewhat in the same ballpark, but different enough that they have different sounds too. The 509 and Semi-hollow can tap their coils so they get into the Strat realm too, which then lets them back up my rosewood and roasted maple necked Strats, both of which have identical pickups and saddles, so they backup between themselves. Plus I have a PRS Studio, which has a sound more like two P-90s and a humbucker on the bridge but definitely gets into the Strat sound when I turn down the guitar's volume. There's some overlay, but not too much, and there's enough similarity that there's some backup.

I would love a dirty lemon R9 similar to the one I have now. At the same price I paid for the one I have now :D

At one point, I had 10+ '87 and '88 Ibanez S540Pro guitars. All are essentially the same aside from finish color and hardware color.

Some I built from parts, including stripping paint and hand varnishing. A few have some different pickups but most were stock.

The difference between the 2 years is very negligible.

They mostly sound the same and are setup the same, but a few are just more "magic" and get all the playing time.

I've sold a few over the last couple years...

Back
Top Bottom