Own Two of the Same Guitar?

JD_

Inspired
I have a guitar that I love - body material, neck material/profile/finish, SS frets, Floyd, pickups, etc. I have this guitar tuned to E flat, and with the way the Floyd sits, the action is super low, and I assume the for that reason and the neck finish/geometry, I can play faster and cleaner or this guitar than any other I've played. I would like to play it in E standard for certain playing situations, but with the feel of the guitar and the way it plays for me, I am not touching anything on it, not even the tuning. So I'm considering getting a 2nd one to keep in E (and as a backup), before this model is no longer produced, but it seems a bit frivolous since I already have one. Anyone have exact duplicates of a guitar just because it's such a great guitar?

8 years ago, I decided to not crave new guitars anymore. I had one (Washburn EC36) that I liked, and I agreed with myself to live with that limitation. So I bought three more of almost the same model (EC29). It is really liberating to choose to accept some limitations. That's also why I don't follow what's going on with other modeller brands and other camera brands than the one I choose.

found a 2nd Steinberger Spirit on craiglist for $200. Fixed it up a bit and
now setup for C tuning with D'addario drop heavy strings. Sounds very nice and
hopefully even better when I can get FM9.
The first one is in standard E. (Both needed a good fret level, setup).

I once ordered two of the exact same Strat so I could keep one and return one, and that's exactly what I did because they were quite different from each other, even after a good set up.
When I have shopped acoustics for the places I've worked at, I've asked to also try the other stock of the same brand and model. There is always a difference - often huge. I go for the one I like the most, and I don't care, if it was hanging in the shop or the case had never been opened. Currently, I have two work places, and I have the same brand and model of guitar both places. They are close to being equal, and my hands like the familiarity 🙂

I once ordered two of the exact same Strat so I could keep one and return one, and that's exactly what I did because they were quite different from each other, even after a good set up.
I have definitely seen that, and I don't know that I'd catch lightning in a bottle twice, but I have played a couple of these that were pretty consistent. In fact, I had previously bought one of these that had some cosmetic issues I hadn't noticed before buying, and it played so well I was reluctant to return it, but the replacement was even better. I think a big part of it for me on this one is the neck.

I had a backup while playing out many years ago that was even the same color. I have also done what you are talking about by having 2 with different tunings.
So, Yes, sure why not do it! It's your money do what you want.

Reactions: JD_
I own four Fender stratocasters, plus two boutique strats from other manufacturers. They're all pretty different. I usually play either my Suhr or my Strandberg (definitely NOT a strat) as my primary, and bring along a backup strat.

I have several nearly identical superstrats for alternate tunings because it's damn near impossible to change the tuning on a Floyd Rose without a lot of drama.

I have a guitar that I love - body material, neck material/profile/finish, SS frets, Floyd, pickups, etc. I have this guitar tuned to E flat, and with the way the Floyd sits, the action is super low, and I assume the for that reason and the neck finish/geometry, I can play faster and cleaner or this guitar than any other I've played. I would like to play it in E standard for certain playing situations, but with the feel of the guitar and the way it plays for me, I am not touching anything on it, not even the tuning. So I'm considering getting a 2nd one to keep in E (and as a backup), before this model is no longer produced, but it seems a bit frivolous since I already have one. Anyone have exact duplicates of a guitar just because it's such a great guitar?
Yes. Bought this and ordered two more built in the Japan custom shop. Now I have three. Each a different pickup set.

https://www.ibanez.com/jp/special/jcustom/2014/JCRG1403-WNB.html

Yes, just different finishes and set ups (free floating whammy or “down only” so I can downtune the low E to D, or in my case from Eb to Db). Ibanez AZ 24 frets and HH.

I own 4 les pauls and two other singlecuts. If something works it works.

Only ever had doubles once when I was touring, hilariously.

Don't even try to get two to be EXACTLY the same. I have had a lot of pro players over the years come to me with this wish and it isn't possible. No matter how similar the two you always have a favourite and the other is only played as a back up. Don't waste time and money chasing this just get something else and embrace the difference. The difference is the point in owning it and where as a back up needs to be able to do the rest of your set it doesn't need to be identical (because it can't be.)

Back
Top Bottom