My good friend says I should play more like this

Wow! I was today years old when I first heard this! Absolutely incredible. Those guys are having so much fun. I had no idea where the song was going. It was funk, jazzy, rockin all in different places but also held together.

Wow! I was today years old when I first heard this! Absolutely incredible. Those guys are having so much fun. I had no idea where the song was going. It was funk, jazzy, rockin all in different places but also held together.
Bad Asteroid is merely one set of surprises amongst an entire catalog of such music.

These guys write some cool stuff and are 3 extremely talented and musical guys.

For each studio album to date, each member writes 3 songs and then brings them to the band.

I've found out after the fact that some of my favorite chord charges or melodies were actually written by the bassist Bryan Beller or the drummer Marco Minneman (who also plays guitar really well).

And an odd fact - all 3 have duplicate initials: GG, BB, MM ;)

Edit:

GG wrote Bad Asteroid

Last edited:
Maybe 30 people will show up. 29 guys and one of them whose girlfriend had no choice but to be there. ;)
I saw them in Sacramento on their last tour. There were probably 200-ish people...

The ratio of male to female was (expectedly) high - probably higher than what you wrote :D

However, that has does not diminish the music.

Either you like it or you don't... I love it. It moves me.

This is not music for the masses, that much is certain!

I saw them in Sacramento on their last tour. There were probably 200-ish people...

The ratio of male to female was (expectedly) high - probably higher than what you wrote :D

However, that has does not diminish the music.

Either you like it or you don't... I love it. It moves me.

This is not music for the masses, that much is certain!
They’re very aware of music theory, even if they didn’t take formal classes in it. In this video Govan is using many different ways of building and releasing tension and his choices of chords are really nice. It’s a higher form of music, more intellectual than visceral, but it still hits me the same way. He’s like Stravinsky and Coltrane if they played guitar.

F**k. I don't listen to enough music these days (always podcasts), but when I do listen on my own, I'm trying the catalogs of bands and musicians I never got around to before. Currently I'm trying Steve Morse, like I listened to an old Liza Minelli track where he plays lead! But now I'm thinking I might have to put that on pause and just jump right into the canon of Mr. Govan here. He is a genius.

I saw him in an intimate setting some years ago. I said to him after the show: "you are the greatest guitar player in the world". And I meant every word of it.
I've never listened to anyone who is a master of so many styles and can blend them so effortlessly and extemporaneously.

The recent Rick Beato video on Guthrie was pretty cool if you haven't seen it?

I personally agree with your statement, and he's a humble and down to earth guy to boot!

My good friend says I should play more like this​

Shouldn't we all?

There's a reason guys like GG only come along so very rarely, if it were that easy..................

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Guthrie live, but I've been listening to his music for years. He's a different animal. The way he can just improvise complex & perfect phrases on the guitar & really convey his emotion is amazing to me. I love his style & his use of effects is so tasteful.

I've had The Aristocrats You Know What...? on repeat in my car for the last few weeks. He really is the "Guitarist's Guitarist". 👍

Back
Top Bottom