How can I plug my tube amps into Axe to hear using headphones?

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place...but...

I have 2 tube amps....JMP100 clone & SLO50 clone.

What equipment do I need, and how can I plug them into the Axe so I can hear them using my headphones? (or can this be done without using the Axe?)

I'd like to be able to play those tube amps at night.

So far from what I've read i need some type of load box to take the place of the speaker...then I guess something that converts analog to digital like a scarlet?

I'm new to any suggestions on brand of gear would be appreciated as well.....

dinky

Assuming those amps don't have a 'speaker emulated output' or a 'DI Output', you need a load box.
In other words, you cannot take the output on the amp that goes to a speaker cab, and plug into the Axe.
Don't ever do that.

Fractal sells a great load box (LB-2).
I have used the LB-2 to do a 'tone match' within the Axe, so my tube rig (Marshall JMP1 and 100/100 power amp) is copied perfectly in the Axe.
Now I can just use the Axe with headphones....no need to turn the tube rig on any longer.

So far from what I've read i need some type of load box to take the place of the speaker...
This ↑. A load box like the Fractal X-Load LB-2, Suhr Reactive Load, Two Notes Torpedo Captor, Mesa Cab Clone, etc. will give you a line level analog DI signal from your amp that you can run into one of the analog inputs of the Axe FX for further processing or recording. Just make sure it's rated to handle the output power of your amps and provides the proper load impedance. Never run a tube amp without some kind of sufficiently rated speaker or equivalent load connected, unless you like smoke and big amp repair bills.

Nope...none of those amps any any kind of DI output except going directly to speaker.

So from what I've read, I definitely need some sort of load box.

I go from my amp>load box>FM9 Input

Cab block and then any additional blocks you want for further processing/effects. Works and sounds fantastic.

mr_fender,

Yes I know enough not to use the amp without a load...I built both of them...so I understand.

OK....so load box (takes place of speaker) then into Axe input.....then I should be able to hear using headphones into Axe.

mr_fender,

Yes I know enough not to use the amp without a load...I built both of them...so I understand.

OK....so load box (takes place of speaker) then into Axe input.....then I should be able to hear using headphones into Axe.

You'll want to add the cab block in the grid, as it will just be the raw signal of the amp without a speaker and it will sound quite bad. Unless you get a load box with a built in IR loader.

I did see the Fractal Load box.....makes sense to favor this being I already have the Axe III.

I did see it's also on sale....so it might be fate :mask:

The DI signal from the load box will be mono, but you can use a Vol/Pan block on the grid to pan that input channel anywhere in the stereo image you want. Any block with an Input Select parameter will also let you split mono to stereo as well.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but I’m semi-fascinated with this thread: wanting to play through tube amps late at night over headphones (IEMs, actually) was exactly what got me into Axe World to begin with. Pretty much all you seek can be done really well 100% “in the box”, and with Cygnus FW update I think the Axe3 sounds much better (and feels much better) than a load-boxed tube amp.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but I’m semi-fascinated with this thread: wanting to play through tube amps late at night over headphones (IEMs, actually) was exactly what got me into Axe World to begin with. Pretty much all you seek can be done really well 100% “in the box”, and with Cygnus FW update I think the Axe3 sounds much better (and feels much better) than a load-boxed tube amp.
I agree with this. I have a couple of loadboxes but it's been just way more convenient to simply fire up my FM3 and use the amp simulation from there. OP's amps should also be well represented in the unit in the first place.

Totally agree. And the Axe-FX is also greener, because it consumes much less energy than these ancient amplifiers, which are unnecessary at this scenario.

None taken....as a matter of fact this is what I thought about as well.

It's still interesting how this can be possible....

And I have admit, after getting the Axe III, I lost my "need" to buy any else...it's really all there.

And I have admit, after getting the Axe III, I lost my "need" to buy any else...it's really all there.
I use a Suhr Reactive Load with my Cornford MK50 I, CAE and Victory amps. Sounds great.
The Cornford in the Axe sounds close, but i won't sell the amps though.

I love running the Axe into a Mesa 295, then stereo into a pair of 4x12's.
Studio monitors are great for what they do, but can't compare to a pair of 4x12.
More hair on the chest and bigger ba!!s.. ;)

But suddenly I realize how loud I actually play through the Mesa, when i switch back to monitors... 🤨

I do this on occasion. Like others have said, you need a load box. I use the Fryette Power Load, but I'd recommend the Fractal LB-2 or the Suhr RL as the best options. You can either run in 4 cable method where you use the Axe-FX for the pre and post amp effects or you can just run into the amp and use the Axe-FX for the cab simulation and post effects.

I agree with the others here that I don't find it necessary to run this way since the amp models in the Axe-FX sound so good. They offer way more flexibility than a real world amp. I love that I can use scene controllers and control switches to modify the amp settings with a push of a footswitch. You can't do that on a real world amp.

Sometimes you just need to try out different options (and who doesn't love to tinker with gear).
I bought the Load box with the intention of Tone Matching my favorite tube amps.
But after a few, I realized that I could tweak the Axe to sound as good or better.
One step at a time though - try your Tube Amps into a load box, then into the Axe so you can use stereo fx and cab IRs.
Then move into trying to replicate your Tube Amp using the stock Amp sims in the Axe.

Another thing I did recently (which you could as well), was use the Axe Looper to keep cycling a riff.
I had 2 scenes (and signal paths) in the Axe.
One scene was my Tone Matched Tube Rig, and the scene was a stock Amp in the Axe.
I kept flipping back and forth, tweaking the Axe Amp advanced parameters to sound as close to my Tube rig as possible.
And it's there - I get so close I don't even know which one I prefer.
Boom...hit save, export the block. Now I have a tiny file I can port into my Axe III or FM3....and have my favorite amp.

I use my tube amps with a UA OX box and its incredible. Totally different sound and feel than my Axe3...
Im thinking about trying a X-Load LB-2 soon myself...

Back
Top Bottom