Axe-Fx III Firmware 19.00 Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
my dual amp (hipower jumped + shiver clean) bass preset absolutely shined this morning. there's a fullness in the low mids, especially when playing root+10 dyads, that adds a layer of confidence in the way the tone coheres the mix together. so excited to hear how cnfb will be when it's coded across all gain stages including drives.

does this method apply for the mic pres in the cab block and drive circuits in the modulation blocks?

Interesting anecdote:

This morning I was doing an A/B test against my Morgan AC20 Deluxe. The distortion texture of the Morgan was very slightly different. I had just added 10 new power tube types so I went through the new EL84 types and settled on the EL84 JJ (the default tube for the model is the EL84/6BQ5 which is a GE). The distortion texture was now nearly (if not) identical.

"That's interesting", I thought. So I pulled the back cover off the Morgan to see what type of power tubes were in it. The labels were turned away from me so I had to pull one out (and melted a piece of foam I was using as a "potholder"). Check the label: JJ.
This update is so good, thinking about removing some (or all) of my little "tricks" that I've learned on here - like setting the output compressor to "Feedback" to get more breakup without killing headroom.

Can we get a feature added to the DC30 model to run two rectifiers? It's an option on the real amp... you can either run one 5AR4/GZ34 or two 5V4G rectifiers.

Interesting anecdote:

This morning I was doing an A/B test against my Morgan AC20 Deluxe. The distortion texture of the Morgan was very slightly different. I had just added 10 new power tube types so I went through the new EL84 types and settled on the EL84 JJ (the default tube for the model is the EL84/6BQ5 which is a GE). The distortion texture was now nearly (if not) identical.

"That's interesting", I thought. So I pulled the back cover off the Morgan to see what type of power tubes were in it. The labels were turned away from me so I had to pull one out (and melted a piece of foam I was using as a "potholder"). Check the label: JJ.

That is interesting for sure. It's also notable that you're adding 10 more power tube types as well. Can I assume that's because CNFB is more accurate, etc., and that the differences between the various types are now more pronounced/revealed vs pre-CNFB?

Also, do you expect to find similar payoffs when CNFB is applied to the preamp tubes/modeling?

Now I'm struggling with the question of whether I should change the default tube type for the AC20. The current default is softer and rounder sounding but the JJ sounds a bit more open and has a nice bite.
I’d have to hear both to say my opinion for sure, but in general I’d go for the more open sound. It’s easier, in my opinion, to muffle up a tone than to get it clear and open.

Now I'm struggling with the question of whether I should change the default tube type for the AC20. The current default is softer and rounder sounding but the JJ sounds a bit more open and has a nice bite.

throw that shit away and buy an axe fx !

oh .. but you ... you .. are ... oh sorry sir ! hahaha

well I have played the first ratm album on bass with the axe 3 and it was very cool with the stingray . whatever my headache

I can verify, from personal experience in November 2019, that when the thunder is not distant (i.e., if it hits within 15-20 feet), it has lots of mids and treble to go with that rumble - even through a wall - and there is ZERO perceivable delay between flash and bang....

Oh dude, about a month after I moved to Ft Lauderdale I was sitting on my porch which overlooked a canal about 15 feet away. Lightning came down and hit it and I've never experienced something that massive. In the last 20 years I've experienced it 5-6x and it never has any less of an effect on me. It's enough to get your adrenaline going. The sheer volume of it and the resulting percussive attack of it is just insane.

Just create another model of it, Man! I'm sure just changing the tube type isn't all you do; you're probably altering some other default parameters to recreate how those tubes would interact with the other components anyway, aren't you? That's totally enough to warrant a 2nd version. The more the merrier!

The amps you are using are all predominately preamp tube distortion amps so the differences won't be very noticeable

I get that you are the developer but why are the differences in the given example blatant. if power amp modelling active, your new power amp changes affect the preamp breakup in a direct way, just like bias excursion time of the power amp changes the preamp breakup character drastically, even if master volume is barely on. I can't wait to hear how your new technique behaves in the drive block

Ears not eyes. Math not opinion.

Comparing firmware 18.03 and 19 beta 3, using DI tracks from Pro Mix Academy. The changes for the 6160 models ("Fixed signal level into power amp a bit too high in 6160 models") are obvious ! But for the other models, they're subtle, so no need to tweak ;)

The difference in the 6160 is huge. It sounds as if there is dual amping going on with a very sizzly amp way in the background ... kind of as if there is a snare drum near by that rattles. That's how it sounds on my Macbook Air, though, which clearly reveals a difference.

It sounds as if there is dual amping going on with a very sizzly amp way in the background

an added breakup texture for sure, more likely just more prominent now, on fw 18 you could get that multilayered texture to pop by activating cathode bias. really really can't wait to hear how this will translate to preamp modelling and drive modelling breakup, detail is getting down into the weeds now fr :roundpushpin:

Listening to @fremen clips - is there a way to get the 18.03 6160 sound in FW19? That first 6160 sounds like 90's melodic death metal at it's peak and is quite the fun tone for downtuning.

It's code. The sound doesn't change if the code hasn't changed.

The only changes in Beta 3 were bug fixes to the Megatap block and a wrong value in the DS1 models.

The power of suggestion when it comes to hearing is well documented. That's why I don't rely on opinion, including my own, when evaluating algorithms. I rely on

the math, measurements and blind A-B tests.

Just out of interest, nothing has been corrected internally on the Global Mix parameters. Beta2 to Beta3?

1642365959871.png

Is it me, did we lose a lot of low end with 19 beta 3? I recorded a few clips with 18.03 and then with 19B3, and seems like a low cut is on.

Also, after installing the beta 3 I lost the ability to switch scenes. After rebooting and trying form the front panel, I have moved back 18.03

Is it me, did we lose a lot of low end with 19 beta 3? I recorded a few clips with 18.03 and then with 19B3, and seems like a low cut is on.

Also, after installing the beta 3 I lost the ability to switch scenes. After rebooting and trying form the front panel, I have moved back 18.03
I actually feel like it’s the opposite... there’s a little more low end but it’s compressing differently, breaking up differently.

That be hot. I was a Tucsonan in grad school then a Phoenician for a decade+ before moving to Portland, but 130 is horror.

It has been said that 116 in Portland and Seattle (121 in BC Canada!) was climatically impossible several decades ago.

Wasn't it like 18 or something crazy cold like that in Puddletown a couple of weeks ago?

All time highs and lows in the span of a year?? Totally normal, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom