Implemented "Uglier" compressor algorithms

iaresee

Administrator
I was revisiting matching my Ross compressor today. I got...close. But the algorithms in the box are very hard to push out of their tame, well-behaved modes. The Ross is...ugly. It does the suck-and-swell thing easily. It injects a bunch of hiss. And all that adds up to a lot of the character that I love about that compressor pedal.

It'd be cool to get some ugly in the compressor block.

Cliff, I'll happily loan you my Ross if it helps with matching its un-pretty nature. The schematic is here.

IMG_3191-2.jpg

Thing about those is they distort, so it's more of a combination drive pedal/compressor.
I know what you're referring to but I never heard it called "suck and swell" before. "Cha—hong", right?
Yea, I wasn't sure what to call it. :D

There's no distortion on the Ross, it's just got a extreme-ness to it's attack and release that I can't get at with the existing algorithms. There's also a highend loss thing that happens with it that would be nice to experience as well. It's very imperfect in a musical way.

+1

I've talked about this before. The existing compressors are great when you want subtle, pretty, clean, studio type compression. But it's hard/impossible to get some of the more "effect" type of compression out of them. It would be nice to have more of that available

We'll just have to agree to disagree :)

I don't here any distortion if by distorion you mean clipping (there's certainly distortion in the general sense of the term going on to compress the signal).

First take is no compressor. Second take is the Ross running in the loop of the AFIII.

You can hear that inital push the compressor makes and then as the notes are held you can hear it making up the gain as the signal strength fades.

You can also hear it's noisy as hell! :D

I don't here any distortion if by distorion you mean clipping (there's certainly distortion in the general sense of the term going on to compress the signal).

First take is no compressor. Second take is the Ross running in the loop of the AFIII.

You can hear that inital push the compressor makes and then as the notes are held you can hear it making up the gain as the signal strength fades.

You can also hear it's noisy as hell! :D

I don't hear anything the Dynamicomp model isn't capable of (except for the noise). Turn off Auto Att/Rel. Set the Attack to min, Release somewhat high, Compression as desired and Bob's your uncle.

What is the best comp model for orange squeezer ish duck and swell?
Suck and swell ... swollen duck unit... ??

I found the optical comp and just stayed there lol

I don't hear anything the Dynamicomp model isn't capable of (except for the noise). Turn off Auto Att/Rel. Set the Attack to min, Release somewhat high, Compression as desired and Bob's your uncle.
I’ll give it another go. The Dynacomp model was promising when I started marching but I ended up on the JFET.

I’d like the horrible Alesis 3630 style pump for that classic French house/daft punk vibe myself.

Be kind of fun using one of the finest processors ever made to emulate the sound of the “worst” piece of outboard gear in history (well save for the BBE Sonic maximized) lol

The key is to use a feedback compressor. So that would be any of the pedal compressors and the Dynamicomp or the Studio FB Compressors. Then either set the threshold all the way down or all the way up if it's an upward compressor (Studio FB Compressor 2 IIRC). Set Attack Time to min, Release Time fairly long. Make sure detector type is peak and Auto Att/Rel is off.

I think I/O buffer play a role, also. They suck frequency and distort, adding harmonics.
Not much. Th input and output buffers are pretty clean. They're emitter followers so they're low impedance outputs. The Level knob is passive so you will get some HF loss due to cable capacitance.

There is pre/de-emphasis on the compressor though. That will change the compression character of the attack a bit. To simulate this use the Emphasis control or the filter parameters in the Sidechain page.

Not much. Th input and output buffers are pretty clean. They're emitter followers so they're low impedance outputs. The Level knob is passive so you will get some HF loss due to cable capacitance.

There is pre/de-emphasis on the compressor though. That will change the compression character of the attack a bit. To simulate this use the Emphasis control or the filter parameters in the Sidechain page.

I never used Emphasis... great tip! I find hard to balance the compression on high and low... this helps a lot!

I use overdrive+compression to give "uglier" character to compressor block... I feel like there's some grit I need to add to comp block to make it "pedal like". I wish there was a clip shape in the block instead of use additional drive block, now that I got the emphasis tip (I use drive block also to tame down some lows and set high).

Back
Top Bottom