How to achieve this Toneking Metropolitan sound?

mosola2

Does anyone know which amp I could use to get close to this sound (clean as well as driven sound)? I've tried different Fender-type amps but I can't get that gnarly midtone breakup/driven sound that I really like.

I've got the P90es in my guitar but I'm not sure how to get the rest :) Great IR-suggestions are welcome, too.

Last edited:
TX Star (Mesa Lonestar) - my go to do it all for warm clean / edge of breakup. For the sparkly clean, try the CA3+ and if you want a bit more dirt try the Wrecker Liverpool.
Standard cabs too - hope this helps.

Well, it's recorded using a room mic, not close mic'd so you're never going to get that sound using IRs. You'll need to use a real guitar speaker and a power amp to get that.

Well, it's recorded using a room mic, not close mic'd so you're never going to get that sound using IRs. You'll need to use a real guitar speaker and a power amp to get that.
Concur. I play with a guy occasionally who'll bring out his Metropolitan, and in person it sounds different than that video and close miked it'd be much brighter. I also have had a Sky King and currently have an Imperial Mk II, and they have a more immediate and clear sound than that recording when standing in front of them while they're tipped back.

I'd recommend using the "Texas Star Clean" amp model to start, then wander through Greenback and Creamback cabs. I use a combination of the "2x12 Zilla Cream H 160 1 ML" (Factory 2 #167) and the "1x12o G12M 121 Brt CEL" (Factory 1 #569) at factory settings for my Imperial preset, so maybe that'd be a starting point. Set your impedance curve in the Speaker tab of the amp block to match whatever speaker type you settle on because it probably won't be the same as the default for the Lone Star.

This sounds much more like the Metropolitan my friend brings out...

Attachments

• Imperial Mk II_20210909_142122.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Concur. I play with a guy occasionally who'll bring out his Metropolitan, and in person it sounds different than that video and close miked it'd be much brighter. I also have had a Sky King and currently have an Imperial Mk II, and they have a more immediate and clear sound than that recording when standing in front of them while they're tipped back.

I'd recommend using the "Texas Star Clean" amp model to start, then wander through Greenback and Creamback cabs. I use a combination of the "2x12 Zilla Cream H 160 1 ML" (Factory 2 #167) and the "1x12o G12M 121 Brt CEL" (Factory 1 #569) at factory settings for my Imperial preset, so maybe that'd be a starting point. Set your impedance curve in the Speaker tab of the amp block to match whatever speaker type you settle on because it probably won't be the same as the default for the Lone Star.

This sounds much more like the Metropolitan my friend brings out...

Nice tones there!

Nice tones there!
They're well designed amps, and if you haven't seen Mark Bartel's latest offerings you should check them out.

That's the smallest of the three models Bartel is making currently, and it's pretty obvious that little amp is putting out some volume based on how it's shaking the camera. And, at 14:20 notice how solid the lows are as he starts increasing the master and they never get flubby as the volume increases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom