Is John Mayer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. :)

It just seems like EVERY so-called "guitar influencer" on the Planet is referencing him
and his new album. So we killed the youtube for the day and put on a movie. :)

Do people that hate John Mayer hate him because they chose to hate him on their own or because other people hate him?

I suspect someone could have just listened to his music and felt the tepid, watered-down nature of it since its inception. ;)

I suspect someone could have just listened to his music and felt the tepid, watered-down nature of it since its inception. ;)
May not be your preference in music but he's a very talented player and songwriter. He has a large fanbase and makes a pretty good living with his "tepid, watered down" style.

It seems like the old adage is true "those who can't, criticize". You can feel free to prove me wrong by listing the catalog of music you've written and recorded.

Clicking Like on a song or artist doesn't mean that I want them on my YouTube feed, so I've learnt to use the "Not Interested" and the "Don't recommend channel" buttons. Now my YouTube feed is filled with Leon Todd, Brett Kingman, Darrell Braun, Cooper Carter, Camilo Velandia, G66, Robert Baker, Ben Eller, Bernth... Good stuff there.

Fantastic player, knows how to play with restraint, great song writer, good sense of humor, sometimes a little cheesy and he’s fully aware of that. What’s not to like?
He can play all the notes but doesn’t. He just plays the right ones.

I like the genre approach he takes to albums. Similar to what Beck does. And I’ll bet the challenge of keeping an album genre-cohesive is fun for him.

Last edited:
Fantastic player, knows how to play with restraint, great song writer, good sense of humor, sometimes a little cheesy and he’s fully aware of that. What’s not to like?
Was going to say it, but Alex and others beat me to it. You don’t have to like him, or his style, but the guy is a monster player.

Oh, and women go to his concerts too.

Sob Rock got the Atmos treatment on Apple Music and is worth a listen in surround if you have the means. As an 80s music fan and especially a Dire Straits/Roxy Music/Sade fan I hear a ton of stuff in Sob Rock that I like. It's a pop album, done 80s-style, very well. There's a lot of layering. The production is fantastic (I actually went looking for liner notes to see if Clearmountain mastered it, but he did not) and very period-specific good.

Clicking Like on a song or artist doesn't mean that I want them on my YouTube feed, so I've learnt to use the "Not Interested" and the "Don't recommend channel" buttons. Now my YouTube feed is filled with Leon Todd, Brett Kingman, Darrell Braun, Cooper Carter, Camilo Velandia, G66, Robert Baker, Ben Eller, Bernth... Good stuff there.
Recently discovered Robert Baker. Very entertaining and love his short demo jams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom