FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

It seems the gain reduction on the Speaker Drive page is not working. Anybody else has the same issue? I didn't find anything about it.

Yes, sort-of.

One has inputs jumpered, the other uses just the bright/instrument input, but provides the normal/microphone channel volume knob so that the interactive nature of the amp's three knobs can be accessed.

Using the trick described in the video cleans the amp up a bit, especially in the low mids, and yields a clean, compressed tone that beats the black panel '60s Fenders, IMHO, which can be turned into wonderful compressed mid crunch with a twist of a knob.

thanks!

Great example! Coffee filters are as flavorless as possible to not alter the taste of your coffee. Anyone with a reusable filter can tell you how their coffee tastes when they haven’t given the filter a good cleaning in a while, or the pot itself.

If you make a filter out of dog shit, you can put 1000$ coffee beans in it and it’ll still taste like dog shit.
I just love those DogS. filters, ummm, good to the last drop...

This "get the right IR as it is 85 to 95 of the tone" is hard for me to swallow.

Are my digital newbie stripes showing again?? 😳

;)

Isn't the essential character and feel in the amp model itself and the 5 to 15 percent
icing on the cake is the IR/speaker/cab/mic choice?

Or maybe some of us like 85 percent icing and 15 percent cake. :)
no, most circuits of type are very similar....the IR is definitely the biggest part of your tone. Just run a few different amps of the same type through the same speaker and you'll see they sound pretty similar. Now try different IR's, the sound changes much more.

no, most circuits of type are very similar....the IR is definitely the biggest part of your tone. Just run a few different amps of the same type through the same speaker and you'll see they sound pretty similar. Now try different IR's, the sound changes much more.

Why have nearly 300 different amps modeled then???

I feel like that is the cart before the horse approach. Why didn't Fractal and modeling start with IRs,
and the tiny amount of data those require compared to the intensive dive into amps and modeling
them and their behavior that is mostly the main reason we are all here?? :)

Great example! Coffee filters are as flavorless as possible to not alter the taste of your coffee. Anyone with a reusable filter can tell you how their coffee tastes when they haven’t given the filter a good cleaning in a while, or the pot itself.

If you make a filter out of dog shit, you can put 1000$ coffee beans in it and it’ll still taste like dog shit.

Haha!! Touche'. :)

The only dogshit filter in my signal chain is me... thank you very much!!! ;)

I feel like that is the cart before the horse approach. Why didn't Fractal and modeling start with IRs,
and the tiny amount of data those require compared to the intensive dive into amps and modeling

no one is saying there's not difference, just that there's greater difference. Think about it. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 1x15. Open-back, closed-back. myriad speakers. How could it not have a greater affect?

So the Bias Excursion and Pi Bias Excursion values have doubled for the most part across the amp models? I've only confirmed this to be the case for Carol-Ann OD2 and CA3+ models... Don't want to keep UP/Down grading firmwares! I read some of the Axe III threads on Cygnus and I know it was a little more advanced than just that...

A part of what Cygnus did was make the Bias Excursion algorithm more accurate. And since it's now more accurate, high values now sound better/more realistic. Cliff had the Bias Excursion values turned lower before because it sounded better, but they can get turned up to where they should be now. So the setting you're seeing is just that, a setting. But the reason it's higher is because the underlying algorithm was improved which allows it to sound good at that higher setting. Among other things that were improved under the hood too I'm sure.

Were the bias parameter in the power amp section modified. It was in an earlier beta version and got taken out I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong

In the beta for 3, some improved bias algorithms were added (an early slice of Cygnus). They then decided to leave those changes out for the full release, and wait for the full cygnus release to add them back in. So the updated settings that were first previewed in that beta are now in this beta.

IIRC, that became part of Cygnus as Cliff had his epiphany shortly after that beta was posted and then the bias stuff got removed from the next beta.

Shortly before actually, the bias stuff was an early sliver of cygnus that was ported I believe, but later removed until all of cygnus was ready.

So, you would need to do that for EVERY preset in the FM3? Is this just because this is a beta firmware release? I never knew that you needed to do this. I just assumed that firmware updates did everything necessary to the presets to take advantage of the new development/features. Thanks in advance.

Not just because it's a beta firmware. Because it updates the default values of advanced properties in the amp block. They don't want to blindly overwrite your settings in case you went into the advanced pages and made changes yourself, so resetting an amp block is a way to get that amp back to the proper default values which is usually the easier place to start re-tweaking from.

Any you would specifically recommend with Fractal products?

Any old XLR to 1/4" will do.

Regarding 'resetting amp block'... is it that once an existing preset has had a particular amp block type reset then all existing instances of that amp block type in all existing presets are reset?

Also, if I reset an amp block type in Channel A but I have other block types in channels B-D do they need to be reset individually or did resetting Channel A automatically reset any other types in the other channels?

Nope, each preset and channel are independant. Resetting the amp block just resets where all the knobs are (because the setting of several of the advanced knobs have changed). So because each preset and channel saves it's own copies of the settings, they each should be reset if they don't sound right.

With cygnus the drive block is with the new algoritm or is the same as with ares?.
Is necessary to reset drive block?
Thanks

It's using the updated drive block that came to the Axe just before cygnus (which is the updated amp modelling), and is the drive block algorithm used in the newest Axe FX III firmwares too. resetting is probably not necessary because there aren't new default values for advanced parameters in the drive blocks, but if one sounds weird in an existing preset a reset might help.

Just redone some other presets.
I copy channel to clipboard, reset amp channel, paste from clipboard back and tune settings...
May this could help do it more easy.

Also checked recording functionality.
Seems there are no issues so far.
And recoded track sounds great.

This is actually undoing the reset because you're resetting all the knob positions with the reset, then setting them all back where they started by pasteing the old settings back.

I added a note to Ray's original post with some details about resetting the Amp.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-4-00-beta-1.173199/#post-2095316

Note that the behaviour in your note varies depending if you're set to IDEAL or AUTHENTIC for your default amp controls.

Also a newbie and I have the same question. Will I need to dial in my presets again after resetting the amp block? What would happen if i back up my presets, reset all the amp blocks, then copy over my backed up presets? Does that defeat the process of resetting the amp block?

That does defeat the process of resetting the block. The reset isn't magic, it just changes the knobs to their default values on all the different params screens on the amp block. Pasting back over would just "un-reset" them. The issue is advanced settings like bias excursion, transformer drive, etc have changed with cygnus and if you don't reset you're going to be using weird values on the advanced params page, similar to if you went diving deep into the advanced menus and started tweaking stuff in there randomly and without listening as you did it.

If your preset still sounds fine, you can keep using it. But the new defaults will work better with Cygnus. One idea is to copy the settings to another preset then reset one, and you can go back and forth and compare.

Am I nuts or do I notice many more new amp models in the Cygnus update?

Yeah, Cygnus added and updated a handful of models which are detailed a little more in the Axe FX release notes.

Yes! Installed the update about an hour ago.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that! But then there are other drive models, for instance the Tube Drive or the Treble Boost where the default value is set to something else. Is that also correct?
Just confirming; thank you!

This is a guess by some of those drives might actually have a low cut built into their input or output and that setting is set to match it. If a drive has a built in low cut it's easier to map it to the existing control (and allow you to tweak it) than to have a hidden, untweakable low cut inside the pedal. The amp Input EQ is the same way, it defaults to the configuration of the input network of the amp it models.

Haven’t fired up my FM3 in forever since I’ve been Cygnusing on my AxeIII. Finally loaded the beta and noticed for some reason almost all my amps had somehow been saved with the Cathode Follower Compression at 69%. Lots default to zero on the reset.

Problem is, I seem to like most I’ve tried better at 69…….but guessing in a band context I’d be better off retweaking.

I think there was a bug recently (I can't remember if on FM3 or Axe FX III) where the cathode follow compression was accidentally getting set to 69% whenever the preset was loaded with that firmware, and then if any other changes were saved that updated value was being saved again too. You could roll back to 3.03b and make a new preset then open it in 4.00b to confirm, but I suspect what's happening is those presets for saved with that bad value back in 3.xb firmware that caused the bad value to be written, and you're only noticing it now.

no one is saying there's not difference, just that there's greater difference. Think about it. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 1x15. Open-back, closed-back. myriad speakers. How could it not have a greater affect?

I believe @la noise ’s point is that the amp model selection has a greater impact on the tone than the IR. I happen to agree with that. It’s just an opinion either way.

I suppose it’s probably scientifically measurable but that’d be silly as it’s incredibly unimportant. The fact is that the IR does have a major effect on the tone. Whether that effect is more, less, or the same amount as the amp model is of zero consequence for all practical purposes. The takeaway should just be, “The IR can have a huge effect on your tone. Don’t neglect it when building presets.”

Great question. Cliff has said in the past that the amp models are a result of consumer demand. If it were up to him, the Fractal products would basically be all or mostly all FAS models which are idealized amps that would either be too expensive or impossible to create in the real world (I'm paraphrasing here, so don't hold me to exact terms). Bottom line is that people ask all the time for different amp models that they want to try, are their favorites, or that they could never afford. Brand names sell even though many amps share very similar components, designs, etc so they add a bunch of amp models. It also helps that Cliff has access to tons of killer amps to model.

Short Answer: Demand

Bug report: while using the 3 buttons to turn on individual blocks last night at rehearsal, I noticed that at some point the screen for my middle button (delay 1) went blank. It still functioned turning the effect on and off, but didn't say "delay 1" like normal. Rebooted the unit and it was back and didn't have another problem. Not sure I'll be able to recreate it, but it was after I'd done both preset and scene switching.

Correction - For many of us Fractal WAS the first thing that had IRs. Pre AF1 if you'd said IR to me I'd have said "wut"?

Amps matter, they matter more for feel which is also crucial.

Correction - For many of us Fractal WAS the first thing that had IRs. Pre AF1 if you'd said IR to me I'd have said "wut"?

Amps matter, they matter more for feel which is also crucial.
For me, it was the second thing with IRs. I had the mixIR2 plugin for Logic Pro X years before getting the AxeFX3. RedWirez is the only company so far that I have seen with an IR pack of the Weber Blue Dog, which I have had for years. I wish @York Audio would put one out....

Regarding resetting the drive pedals: at least, the models from the Tube Screamer family, Full OD and 3 and 4 buttons Tube Driver needs it. Just click in the model in the selection panel to keep your existing level/mix/drive settings

Back
Top Bottom