Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
A level change in any existing presets is very common in major amp model updates. It is almost never a bug.

Also, Cliff reworked some of the MV tapers part way through the betas.

I think the point is that the different Mark IV models are all very similar with some minor mode switches, and all used to be at the same level. Now, one is louder. He was reporting it as an indication that something in one might have been typod to a different value than the others since they're all ultiimately a similar topology and going through a similar power amp stage. If there was a difference in one of the modes that lead to increased volume on the real amp it might have been reflected in previous models too.

The MV taper on all the Mark IV models would have been adjusted the same way, so it doesn't make sense that changing them all from taper A to taper B makes just one of them louder.

That said, the increased volume might just be the way the model works now because of some of the algorithm changes vs what the mid-gain switch actually does.

But in a similar manner, if Friedman V1, 2, and 3 were all the same level, then in an update V2 was louder despite the voicings change being at a part of the circuit where later gain stages are capping the volume off anyway, then it would also seem worth pointing out in case one was accidentally louder.

I just played around with the Rockerverb model. I had the MKI version and I do not remember it being this tame. With Input Drive at 5, it's only delivering a mild, slightly above edge of breakup overdrive. The real amp was spitting fire with gain around noon. The only difference between the MK I and MK II is the powersection, so the preamp should be the same.

I compared it to the Recto Orange and Red channels: Those have much more gain than the current Rockerverb model.
thank you . they already owe me a t-shirt for the blows and injuries that I took about the jp2c 🤣

I just played around with the Rockerverb model. I had the MKI version and I do not remember it being this tame. With Input Drive at 5, it's only delivering a mild, slightly above edge of breakup overdrive. The real amp was spitting fire with gain around noon. The only difference between the MK I and MK II is the powersection, so the preamp should be the same.

I compared it to the Recto Orange and Red channels: Those have much more gain than the current Rockerverb model.
+1

This is with my guitar that can tickle the red on the input meter, so it's not my pickups being too low output
But it's a compensated input so AFAIK changing "input meter level" does not affect signal level into the amp block (unlike "input gain"). That's one of the great things about Axefx - it leaves your guitar signal completely intact while separately allowing set up a signal level that's good for Axefx to grab on to. Low output pickups can tickle the red but remain low input into the the amp block.

Last edited:
The Friedman BE V1 now seems to have way less gain compared to beeta 11. But there shouldn't be any change to it, right? That's odd.

Not quite. The early Cygnus betas were colder than the later betas. Originally I had set the bias equal to the reference amps but many of the reference amps are biased cold because most manufacturers bias amps cold from the factory for warranty reasons. In the later betas I put the bias points at where a technician would typically bias an amp after replacing the tubes, i.e. 60-70% of max. plate dissipation.
Would it be possible to have a list of factory bias values? The hotter bias is boosting some upper midrange frequencies and clouding top end in certain amps that balance out when the bias is reduced. The hotter bias probably works great with certain amps, but it would be nice to have that info in order to set certain amps back to “factory specs” without having to guess what the appropriate value should be.

I took your advice and kept my amps on for several hours to see if it would change the top end/upper midrange. The results were the same as my earlier experiment and it seems the Grid Bias is the parameter that gets the models to behave more like my real amps. It would be nice to have a value to input for accuracy rather than A/B’ing amps and models trying to find a match manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Friedman BE V1 now seems to have way less gain compared to beeta 11. But there shouldn't be any change to it, right? That's odd.
and now it’s way closer to the real amps..

gain pots on a real friedmans are voiced so that if you have them at noon, you have way less gain then you would think.

when you go on a pot from 75% and higher, the increase in gain is much higher.
IOW, 75% to 85% is as if you go from 40% to 70% or so..

edit : anyone who has real friedmans should confirm that most of the sh** happens on a gain pot from 8 to 10 (on a dial).

edit 2 😃 : that’s why dave implemented gain cut switch - because of how gain pot works, so if you want lower gain from friedman - just use the gain cut switch to lower the gain, but the tone is still full.
In past, people used to lower the gain pot, but that thinned out the sound significantly.

Last edited:
I'm not saying anyone over there said that
I bet they're thinking it, tho....

b11 was fan-bloody-tastic as it was. b12 finishes the amp list on the model updates/ verification and includes (I assume) any bug-fixes that may have been needed, so must be at least as good....

Can't wait to get home and try it....

Last edited:
Hello! Question... I'm trying to copy and paste scenes in Axe Edit and notice that it's not copying scenes to the right location properly. Has anyone else experienced this lately? I'm on the latest updates of everything on mac catalina.

I hit "copy current scene to scene __" and when I do that, the first time, all of my effects came on and the reverb got stuck in the on position and turning every block off didn't work; the only thing that changed it was changing a preset. Then when I try it again, nothing copies over; no cab block channel, the effects from that scene stay on and nothing gets overwritten. Can anyone confirm if they're having the same issue? The only thing that changes is the Scene Name and the amp.

EDIT: I think I figured this out. I have scene revert enabled, so I believe I have to save after copying before switching to pasted scene? Can someone confirm that?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Although I really love Cygnus. I feel there is something weird with the volume/gain between beta 11 and beta 12. I double checked every levels,... but something’s wrong with my be sounds. Anyone else have the issue?

But it's a compensated input so AFAIK changing "input meter level" does not affect signal level into the amp block (unlike "input gain"). That's one of the great things about Axefx - it leaves your guitar signal completely intact while separately allowing set up a signal level that's good for Axefx to grab on to. Low output pickups can tickle the red but remain low input into the the amp block.
Yeah this. "Tickling the red" is a matter of signal-to-noise ratio and nothing else. I can get my Ibanez with PAF 7s to tickle the red and those pickups are quiet as hell

Hi everyone. Although I really love Cygnus. I feel there is something weird with the volume/gain between beta 11 and beta 12. I double checked every levels,... but something’s wrong with my be sounds. Anyone else have the issue?
I think you'll need to elaborate on what "something wierd" means.

I think you'll need to elaborate on what "something wierd" means.
Less gain, less bass, less volume. Even when I set levels correctly it really doesn’t sound like in beta 11. I made an amp reset, tried to make it from blank, nothing works. I’ve been going from 11 to 12 for about one hour. There’s something wrong with the levels. I checked input levels and input gain but everything is the same.

Less gain, less bass, less volume. Even when I set levels correctly it really doesn’t sound like in beta 11. I made an amp reset, tried to make it from blank, nothing works. I’ve been going from 11 to 12 for about one hour. There’s something wrong with the levels. I checked input levels and input gain but everything is the same.
What amp model(s)?

There were no changes to the algorithms but some amps were updated.

And you also hit the “update after firmware upgrade” button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom