Wish FREQOUT pedal

This has been a wish for ever. There were really 2 things I wanted the AXE to do that it didn't really do, and this was one of them. (The other was The Drop - and the III now does that quite well.)
I think the day we get a really good feedback sim in the AXE is the day when I can truly have a complete all in one solution. Well... that and the day it has a built in wireless receiver. I dream of just having my complete rig in a 3 space bag with no extra half- racks or pedals needed. It's SO close right now...

+1

And having just purchased one used, the effect smacks of being something kind of trivial to replicate? It feels like it is just artificially picking the Nth harmonic above a fundamental, and fading that in above the base signal. I’d be fine if it prioritized octave up, 5th, then major 3rd above, randomized which one got chosen each time, or just looked for what harmonic was currently strongest above the base pitch and emphasized that. Then fade it in.

i'm not sure why this thread is still going. i've provided 2 methods to replicate this pedal using a couple of blocks and a modifier. i thought the ethos behind the axe was not to have everything handed to you on a plate, but to use the tools provided and your imagination to make whatever it is you're thinking of. adminM@ even did a really great tweak to the original design to change the frequency of the feedback note depending on the pitch played, which i thought was terrific.

i'm not sure why this thread is still going. i've provided 2 methods to replicate this pedal using a couple of blocks and a modifier. i thought the ethos behind the axe was not to have everything handed to you on a plate, but to use the tools provided and your imagination to make whatever it is you're thinking of. adminM@ even did a really great tweak to the original design to change the frequency of the feedback note depending on the pitch played, which i thought was terrific.

I think the ethos of modern society is pretty much to have everything handed to you....

Seems many users don’t want to have to combine blocks, tweak by ear etc, they just want to turn a dial and have every effect possible right there, already dialed in as famous artist used it....

some enjoy cooking, some just want to sit down and eat what someone else prepared

The feature the AxeFX III currently lacks to do a decent feedback emulation is the ability to generate a tone in quite the same way as the FreqOut. You can try to emulate this with delay hold or compression instead of a synth block, and there have been some impressive efforts. Mark Day did one recently that was quite nice. But they all fall short of what can be done with the FreqOut. On the other hand, the FreqOut falls far short of true feedback :).

Edit: Mark Day's preset was apparently created by Simeon.

Last edited:
mark day's one was my version (may or may not have the matt tweak)

you say it's just the ability to generate a tone - the axe fx can generate a tone with the synth block and i provided the solution to that back in post #10 of this very thread

i'm out

mark day's one was my version (may or may not have the matt tweak)

you say it's just the ability to generate a tone - the axe fx can generate a tone with the synth block and i provided the solution to that back in post #10 of this very thread

i'm out
My apologies for crediting Mark Day for that preset he shared. The name of the preset is "Mark's Recto Feedback", so I'm sure you'll agree that was an understandable mistake :). If you created it, nice job! The one I saw uses compression, not a synth block. Anyway it sounds nice, especially with Matt's tweak of the pitches. By tone generator, you are right there is a tone generation capability in the synth block, but I mean something that generates a tone similar to the way the FreqOut works. That might be why the synth block method doesn't sound like a FreqOut.

Edit: Here's a link to Simeon's preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7802

Last edited:
I’ll go back and try your preset again, @simeon . I remember trying one that seemed to feed back at a specific frequency, but maybe yours got better.

I've been playing around with Simeon's idea on my II, and it seems to be doing an alright job.

I've attached the envelope controller to the mix value and changed the slope + added damping, and it makes the transition from dry to FB much smoother and more natural. However, when the guitar isn't playing, the FB is full blast with no way to mute sadly. When playing it works like a charm, but freaks out (;)) towards the end.

That tweaked version by Matt, where can it be found? I've tried the forum and Axe change, but can't seem to find it.

This is all just my opinion, but to whoever asked, people might be asking because none of the provided solutions sound like real feedback. For what it’s worth I’ve tried Simeon, mark day, Mokes, and probably every other one that has been posted.

I don’t think the Freqout is that great either but it’s much better than what’s been posted on the forums. This may be in part because its easier to implement.

Real feedback is infinitely more “organic” than what has currently been demonstrated, even by the Freqout. You can’t just boost a few harmonics and expect it to sound or feel right. The feel is a big part of what makes Fractal stuff so great. The current solutions may “work” but they don’t excel at it.

To be fair I’m not sure how you would even begin to create a viable solution for this, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I did have some interesting results with the feedback comb filters but the controls for that block weren’t really processing in my brain correctly, so I never competed that experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
I've had Freqout for a while, in a loop that's attached to an expression pedal so that I can control how much I get added to my main signal, and more importantly, to be able to turn it off when it's sound starts to go sideways. With Freqout, if you bend the note even a little during it's sustain, it goes into a very unnatural and ugly sounding decline. Also, I always liked the effect of a kill switch stuttering as the rig goes into feedback like this (27s in) - not gonna happen with Freqout in the traditional way as even a split second dropout in signal to the Freqout starts it into a new cycle. So it's ok but definitely did not worth the price I paid for it and not nearly as fun as real feedback. Best method I've found so far at lowish volume is to touch headstock to cab (real cab or fr cab / studio monitor not so much) to get it going and then coax it along more with wah pedal 1/2 way, or other methods found in patches mentioned above, but always to result in that thing where the pickup and sound interact into an endless loop - nothing can duplicate that.

OK, I just tried this preset, and it doesn't do anything usable for me even after mapping the Pitch block mix control to my pedal. I know the Freqout isn't perfect, but it's considerably better than this. My wish remains.
I have the same reaction to using the technique of using a synth block. A clever idea, but the result is not as good as a Freqout.

Back
Top Bottom